GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the manual over and over. How do you use the AVC control on the radio? Every time I set the control nothing happens.I do use satellite radio,do that make a difference? Thanks Buzz

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I believe the A utomatic
V olume
C ontrol

only adjusts the volume to speed and conditions on the factory radio and maybe the CD player.

W

·
0 Posts
The automatic volume control is completely speed dependent - it increases the audio volume at a certain speed without regard to actual ambient noise.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The faster you go the louder it gets, mine also works on my MP3 player so I would say yes it should work on your satellite radio, set it on high

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Just a note. Make sure your speakers can handle the high volume. As you speed up, they will take a beating and you cannot likely hear the cones popping due to ambient noise when the system pushes them past the limit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Set it on high and at 40 mph and 60 mph it raises the volume a few DB.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I was thinking that this only works with the speakers, not with the headset?????

W

·
0 Posts
I was thinking that this only works with the speakers, not with the headset?????
There are two separate settings for AVC to the headsets and speakers. The headsets have off, low and high settings. The speakers have off, low, medium and high settings. I have found that the headset AVC is not as effective as it could be - even on high I still have to turn up the volume at highway speeds. It is not nearly as good as the AVC knob on the 1500. I used to have the knob set about halfway and never had to play with the volume control (same helmet and headset).

·
Registered
235 Posts
There are two separate settings for AVC to the headsets and speakers. The headsets have off, low and high settings. The speakers have off, low, medium and high settings. I have found that the headset AVC is not as effective as it could be - even on high I still have to turn up the volume at highway speeds. It is not nearly as good as the AVC knob on the 1500. I used to have the knob set about halfway and never had to play with the volume control (same helmet and headset).
:agree: The AVC on my 1500 actually worked. With the 1800, I will wear out the volume toggle switch before any other part on the bike.
Fred? Any ideas?

jb

·
Registered
195 Posts
Avc

I understand how the AVC works and how to set it.
What I don't understand is what Low, Med and High are fused or on external speakers. Why not just on and off?
What am I missing?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Its just like an automobile. If its on low it will only go up slightly. If it is set on high it will go up maximum volume, whichever your ears or speakers can handle. Just try it at each one and see which you prefer.

W

·
0 Posts
I understand how the AVC works and how to set it.
What I don't understand is what Low, Med and High are fused or on external speakers. Why not just on and off?
What am I missing?
Unlike some luxury cars, the Gold Wing AVC is based strictly on speed rather than any measure of actual ambient noise. The different levels change the amount that the volume increases as your speed increases. It allows you to tune the increase to your personal taste.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Its just like an automobile. If its on low it will only go up slightly. If it is set on high it will go up maximum volume, whichever your ears or speakers can handle. Just try it at each one and see which you prefer.
It will not go the maximun volume, but Hi will give you the most increase with the increase in speed.

Jeff

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
It will not go the maximun volume, but Hi will give you the most increase with the increase in speed.

Jeff
Neither AMB or AVC will affect reception. They are all totally separate circuits.

It's obviously personal preference, but I don't use AMB features. They do nothing more than create phase shift distortion that gives a lousy illusion of a wider sound stage. It's based on the Hafler Effect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts