GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Jim,

If I didn't already LOVE my MOPS, I'd be ordering right now :D

(Model G/F w/ HD Springs, Kury ISO pegs)

·
Registered
170 Posts
........... I've looked at the MOP's and have read some good comments on them. I'm 6'3" tall and currently have the Kury 4056 hwy pegs. I had to position the pegs straight out because that was as close to comfortable as I could get. But the backside of the calves of my legs presses against the line of the fairing at the rear.
...........Anyone out there about my height using the **** O Pegs? Are they as comfortable as some say? Do the springs pull them up good when you take your foot off, like when running the twisties, etc.
.........Thanks for any advice. Ride Safe, Stobby.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
They are as good as advertised. Just be aware that you will be stretching your legs to a lower position than the Kurys, but you shouldn't be bothered by the fairing anymore.

Although I am about your height, your inseam is more important. I wear 34" jeans and they work great for me. Take the link in my signature for pictures and more information.

And remember to ask Jim about his 90 day buy back policy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ddking said:
And remember to ask Jim about his 90 day buy back policy.

We will be changing our buy back policy effective with purchases made after Jan 1st (taken from www.ridingiswonderful.com/ridingiswonde ... /id60.html

We must also start reducing full refunds by at least $30. $10 will cover our S&H. The other $20 will allow us to offer them to another customer for $20 less. Too many people are not reading our directions about how to remove the blocks from the engine guard when they stick. They are knocking them off with wrenches, hammers, etc. which does significant damage to the chrome. Refunds may be reduced more than $30. We don't want other customers to pay for that damage and we can no longer absorb that loss.

·
Registered
392 Posts
How many MOP users have added different rests for their feet rather than the standard peg which comes on the MOP? I've looked at DDKing's web site and his information is awesome. My question since I'm convinced to purchase these (before the price increase) is how comfortable is the standard peg with comes with the MOP and how hard or difficult is it to convert them later?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Iwouold say that most people are happy with the standard peg because they use the pegs only occasionally. Others just want a more standard "looking" peg such as Kury. Others, like myself, use the pegs constantly and want something that adds support.

If you want to convert later, you would have to purchase a new block cap and spring and possibly a new arm. Maybe Jim will see this and give you a more complete answer about the arm.

·
Registered
392 Posts
DDKing -- thanks for the response. The way my knees end up feeling even on short 50 - 80 mile rides I'm fairly sure I'll end up using the MOP the majority of the time when it is safe to do so (not in turns) because otherwise I'm not going to be able to do the long rides and weekend trips I have planned. I've looked at some of the other riders highway pegs, but don't like the way I've got to stretch out around the fairing to reach them.

I'll give Jim a call this week before I head out on vacation so I can have them waiting for me when I get back after New Years.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Standard Peg or "heavier" pegs

ddking said:
I would say that most people are happy with the standard peg because they use the pegs only occasionally. Others just want a more standard "looking" peg such as Kury. Others, like myself, use the pegs constantly and want something that adds support.

If you want to convert later, you would have to purchase a new block cap and spring and possibly a new arm. Maybe Jim will see this and give you a more complete answer about the arm.
DD is King (of comfort) and almost dead on.

About 65-70% of our sales are with our stock pegs. Very few customers 'complain' about our peg being uncomfortable. Here at RIW, Inc. we use our light pegs (10-20g miles on each of 3 bikes) almost all of the time.

It seems to be more an issue of 'I do/don't like to have a more substantial place to put my feet.' Our peg allows a little easier ankle movement and the "heavier" peg provides more ankle support - as DDKing said.

Some have replaced their stock foot peg and want their 'highway peg' to match that replacement so they choose our HS version.

A word of caution: We had a customer who mounted the 'switch blace' on their HS version of ****-O-Pegs, but with time the heel rest got loose and would unfold at unwanted times and nicked the valve cover.

Converting between standard and HS is almost $100 because, as DDKing said, you would need different covers, springs, and legs as well as peg or mounting hardware. (And you end up with those usless extra parts in your garage.)

'Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I mounted a pair of MOP on my GL1800 and when mounted level the pegs protrude out at an angle. Is this normal? Or do I need to reverse the arms inward to straight out the peg location? If I angle the brackets upward then the pegs are straight out but the arms are too high.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wingman57 said:
I mounted a pair of MOP on my GL1800 and when mounted level the pegs protrude out at an angle. Is this normal? Or do I need to reverse the arms inward to straight out the peg location? If I angle the brackets upward then the pegs are straight out but the arms are too high.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!
The short answer: 3 basic mounting forms for the 8 basic models.

Longer answer: (Linking to our web site for the model you have will help with this explaination.) The most popular choice is D which is mounted 'square' or level with the ground and has the peg pointing inboard. The Model E block is also mounted 'square', but the "leg" has a 20 degree twist so the peg is pointing up (20 degrees) when pointing outboard. Model E legs are twisted for Rt or Left use.

Some have missed the part of the instruction about the Model KA/KD/KL and mounted that block square (rather than 25-35 degrees up) - only to find that their feet fall of the peg becasue it ends up angled down at about 15-25 degrees.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,552 Posts
Stobby said:
........... I've looked at the MOP's and have read some good comments on them. I'm 6'3" tall and currently have the Kury 4056 hwy pegs. I had to position the pegs straight out because that was as close to comfortable as I could get. But the backside of the calves of my legs presses against the line of the fairing at the rear.
...........Anyone out there about my height using the **** O Pegs? Are they as comfortable as some say? Do the springs pull them up good when you take your foot off, like when running the twisties, etc.
.........Thanks for any advice. Ride Safe, Stobby.
Stobby

I'm only 5' 10" tall, but I like my legs to be nearly fully extended when I'm on the highway pegs. I tried the Kury Ergo pegs and while they look very nice and have a lot of adjustably, I couldn't get comfortable with the Kury setup unless they were adjusted so the arms of the highway pegs were mounted one notch below the crash bars. In that postion the Kury Ergo setup were perfect for comfort for me, but the trouble was that you couldn't go around a fast corner without dragging the highway pegs. With the Kury setup I lost around 30% of the bikes cornering abilty when setup so I could actually use them in comfort.

I installed the ****-O-Pegs model KA/HS and installed the Kury Dually pegs on the *****. With this setup I get the full leg extension and my legs don't touch the fairing at all. I can postion my feet on the MOP three different ways which is really nice when you are on those long straight highways. With the ****-O-Pegs I get superior ground clearance for the twisty roads and can ride in comfort on those 600 mile days.

BTW, the chrome is first rate show chrome and after three years my ****-O-Pegs still look new like.....I wish I could say the same about the Kury Dually pegs. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chrome quality

Roadie said:
BTW, the chrome is first rate show chrome and after three years my ****-O-Pegs still look new like.....I wish I could say the same about the Kury Dually pegs. :)
Norbrook Plating does our chrome work (right here in Michigan). They have been an industry leader of chrome plating on aluminum since 1962 and we are lucky to be one of their customers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts