GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Honda Dealer install a new front tire today. For mounting and balancing on my 1800GL they charged $70.00 plus the tax. (1 hour labor) What are some prices that you have paid for this service?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My dealer was taking the bigger end of a $300 bill for a front, mounted and balanced. A local shop with all the right equipment charged me $15 to M&B the rear, with me doing the R&R.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Larry,

My wife and I got married in Sevierville Sept. 05 on a BRP tour to the Smokies, rode the dragon same day :lol:

I've found if you have a couple m/c dealers in the area some can be more competitive (especially on tire pricing... if only one, you're at their mercy. I try doing everything myself on the wing.

mount & balance front tire $20-25 (I can't get them to do it for free if I bring in the wheel)

rear if wheel removed self same as front, if they remove wheel and reinstall $40-60 for the entire service.

·
Registered
16,974 Posts
:shock: Heaven forbid that someone charged you 300 clams just to remove the old tire from the one rim and then to install and balance the new tire upon that rim. Even if the did the bike disassembly and and re-assembly that price would be way higher than expected; getting a bit less out of line if it included the new tire's price, but still not a good deal at that. I think that big thud that hit you in the ars as you went out the door was your change!

prs

sammisgrammy said:
My dealer was taking the bigger end of a $300 bill for a front, mounted and balanced. A local shop with all the right equipment charged me $15 to M&B the rear, with me doing the R&R.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I've seen from $7 to about $30 to mount and balance (assuming you take it off the bike and bring it in). I'm not sure of the going rate if they dismount and mount the wheel on the motorcycle - I've never had that done.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I paid $132 for removing the wheels, replacing stem valves, balancing and reinstalling tires I brought in with me. I thought I did OK.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've paid between $45 and $70 to mount and balance. It depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
$12 if I bring the wheel. $40.00 if they do the whole job.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
A local discount tire dealer would mount and balance a tire if I brought the wheel in for $20. He was doing the local Honda dealers for them. The discount dealer quit doing tires that were brought in so bought a HF tire changer and the tires from our sponsor and did my own since then. If I remember correctly, my dealer wanted $50 to do the same thing (so he would get $30 to drive 2 miles down the road and wait for the tire to be mounted.

The HF install is not for the faint of heart

My son lives in Sevierville so we make a few trips down, pretty country but way too much traffic!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had both tires replaced at the local dealership, Shenandoah Honda, the first week of Nov 06. $35 for front and $45 for rear including removal, of the wheels from the bike, removal of the tires from the wheels, mounting and balancing, and replacing the wheels on the bike. They did a superb job.

I also bought the tires from them. When purchasing most any item, I check the web for best prices, print a copy, and take it to the dealer to see which is the best price. They have always honored the lowest price for me.

Shenandoah Honda is a great place to do business IMHO. I am very pleased with the treatment and service. I was given a fabulous deal on the new 05 VTX 1300, and later the 05 GL1800 (preowned). :D

If you live in this area, I highly recommend that you take a look at what kind of deal you can get. Just ask for David DeWarf, Sales Mgr., and tell him I sent you. And NO, I do not get any kickback whatsoever. I just like to send business their way. They have done well by me.

Todd

·
Registered
19,232 Posts
Most Honda dealers for removal from the bike and reinstall including, balance, new valve stem( I know,I know Tom's been riding on the same valve stem for 250,000 miles with no problems)should charge
10-25$ for rear
20-45$ for front
AND most dealers do not have the spacers to balance the rear only the front

·
Registered
19,232 Posts
twyn said:
I paid $132 for removing the wheels, replacing stem valves, balancing and reinstalling tires I brought in with me. I thought I did OK.
My friend you were taken to the cleaners by about at least $67

·
Registered
19,232 Posts
pass on the freezing rain-north texas is getting hit-it was sunny and 74 in s texas

i replaced the stems with oems but I would prefer a straight stem without that goofy plastic holder that does not work

·
Registered
338 Posts
I bought new tires front and rear. Got a quote for $80 for them to r/r both including balancing.

·
Registered
19,232 Posts
sumdumguy-that's a little high

1 - 20 of 24 Posts