GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning trip next year to Alaska. 3980 miles from Arkansas. I know how long it will take me to get to Canadian border west of Glacier NP. My concern is what would the average miles per day one might expect going to Anchorage from the Canadian border. Plan on riding to Banff and then to Alcan highway. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
That's kind of a tough question since we're all a bit different so I'll just give you the facts from our AK trip in 2007.

Our round trip was about 8000 miles total from western ND so it was almost all riding in Canada and Alaska. I rode solo to Anchorage to pick up my wife who had flown there. I rode those 3000 miles in 3 days so I'll throw those miles out of our stats. The remaining 5000 miles were done 2-up in 14 days for an average of 357 miles per day. We rode every day and our lowest mileage day was about 150 miles and there were other days of 500-600 miles in there as well. Most days were in the 300-400 mile range.

Have fun planning your Alaska trip!

·
Banned
939 Posts
There are no road issues that will slow you down at all on the middle route via Banff less construction if there is any going on and of course weather.

Question is are you in a hurry? If so you can expect to ride whatever is comfortable for you now as far as miles per day that works for you.

Take your time enjoy the ride. Besides if you do not do a few sections a multiple times you will regret it when you get back home and start looking at the photos.

Some stretches are worth the casual stop often and take photos first run, the let's do that again without stoping second run, and the third we just have to do that one more time run.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Riding 500 miles is fairly easy for me. Have done well over 650 before. I was concern about road conditions etc. I do like to stop at places for pictures but not to the extreme. I was hoping to average 375 to 450 so this sounds reasonable. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Take your normal range and cut a third of it off.

Sections will be tougher to traverse than others, while some will be at a crawl.

Take a spare rear tire, front too if you have room. The roads eat the tires. There is a Harley / Honda dealer in Fairbanks if I remember correctly. Everything is more expensive as a general rule and if you need to order tires up there, you better do it before you leave home.

Get your bike's service done right before the trip and if you can, try to time it so your 32,000 mile valve check / adjustment does not need to be done during your trip. Take what you need to do your next scheduled service during the trip. (Oil / filter, etc.)

If you are coming back into Canada via Top of The World Highway, be warned it is NOT a 24 hour border. The trip books which show locations of gas stations and other points of interest are NOT up to date. Find a way to carry some extra fuel with you if you plan on riding after 7pm-ish. Warning - TOTW highway is VERY windy and you are literally riding the mountain's top edge so be mindful of very strong wind gusts at random.

For the love of god... make sure you do everything you can to beef up your suspension. Traxxion is my choice but run what you can.

When are you going? We went in June. Spent 3 weeks up there.

Plan on little phone coverage in many locations.

Suggest getting to Seward. Good crab legs there!!!

Clay, wet clay, gravel - all kinds, construction, chip-seal roads - you will encounter just about every kind of road condition you can think of.

OHHH --- almost forgot... watch the frost heaves. They will launch the bike if you are going too fast!

Lil more than you asked but I didn't want to forget a bunch of points.

Do some searching for Alaska here and you will find a wealth of info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i checked my trip log on that stretch riding an 03 connie: 420-450 miles a day for me with a high day of 510. 10-12 hours of riding daily, speed limit driving or +5. short breaks, pic stops etc. about 4.5 days to reach wasilla from west of glacier np .

·
Banned
939 Posts
Definitely some routes and side trips need a bit more forethought and planning.

BUT if your plan is to not do the haul road to Prudhoe Bay or take to some dirt and or closed in winter spurs and to stick west out of Whitehorse your only issue is going to be construction and weather.

Yes you might enjoy a few surprises but on all the main trails they keep on it pretty good.

If you run on the cautious side get a new Milepost (it is commercialized as a fashion mag) but will dial you in on your options and whether or not any spurs or routes may or may not be up to your preparations and style.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
the 50 miles before and after Destruction bay - ahhhhhh I remember it well....

It's called Destruction Bay for a reason. Plan on loose, deep gravel and "fun" ride.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Fire
the 50 miles before and after Destruction bay - ahhhhhh I remember it well....

It's called Destruction Bay for a reason. Plan on loose, deep gravel and "fun" ride.

Come on now DJ you know better than too frightening the children. They have been putting some serious Maple Leaf’s of the gold variety into that project and have been working on that little chunk of paradise for years. I actually recommend a layover here. It is one of those places that is just out there. Lunar but right down to the brass tacks of earth and the elements.

I actually have a Destruction Bay hat pen you can have to remember your

ahhhhhh I remember it well.…”

It might even motivate you to come back sooner than you might have otherwise when you start to reminiscing.

Don’t worry kids DJ is just trying to frighten you. You will be just fine.

Don't forget to bring your Buddah.

Life is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Riding 500 miles is fairly easy for me. Have done well over 650 before. I was concern about road conditions etc. I do like to stop at places for pictures but not to the extreme. I was hoping to average 375 to 450 so this sounds reasonable. Thanks for the help!
Don't have much time to type right now but a quick answer.

Some days 500 miles will be doable...other days it will not. Plan on lots of rain (you might get lucky and miss that) and construction, RV's, Gawking at animals and scenery, and gravel will slow you down. How much depends on the time of year but there are some REALLY bad sections of road with frost heaves and winter damage, gravel etc that will slow you to a crawl.

If I were going to do it again I would give myself enough time to do it in 350 mile days.

Some days 500 is doable......some days it is not.

Click the slide show in my sig line for a slide show of the ride you are gonna take.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Scattercrkangus. Your 350-475 is very doable IF YOU JUST HAVE TO get to the next reserved stop every night. But you should actually add 1/3-2/3 to your trip duration as in days before you must be home not miles per day either way and heck why not spend a month or two?

Things happen, agendas suck and I have yet to meet a one off first trip to Alaska rider who likes to ride like I do that would not take a more leisurely and full on detoured route the next time they come up.

My personal best “time record” when I was going to school in Fairbanks was a testosterone fueled demon run back “home” to a lonely girlfriend in Minneapolis .Four days six hours and that was on a Yamaha 650 Special anvil twin with a milk crate top case.

Yes there are spots and sections especially with construction but again the main trail is very well maintained considering the winters it suffers through each year. You and your Wing can easily handle the main trails but do not underestimate the weather especially if you go in the fall or early spring.

Granted leave the naiveté at home but seriously relax it is not as bad as your imagine might cook up.

When you get back home you can tell as many fish stories as you want like that pot hole the was originally the size of a watermelon but grows into the size of a coffee table a few years latter. I actually went off a frost heave once and go the bike completely airborne although I was only doing seventy. Or was it my that my butt got a little “air” between my pants and the seat? I still don’t remember.

Enjoy it and have a great ride!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Ride up, ferry back down to Bellingham WA, or Prince Rupert to Skagway/Haines on the way up and ride back. GREAT way to see more, enjoy the break/make time. Ferry will add value to the trip! ( JMHO after three trips..)

You're in for a treat! :thumbup:

·
Banned
939 Posts
Ride up, ferry back down to Bellingham WA, or Prince Rupert to Skagway/Haines on the way up and ride back. GREAT way to see more, enjoy the break/make time. Ferry will add value to the trip! ( JMHO after three trips..)

You're in for a treat! :thumbup:
Now we are talking a land and sea adventure from the tundra all the way down through a sub tropical rainforest. Excellent idea!

I will stable your pony for the night after I show you the four ends of the road if you overnight in Juneau.

Might even convince you that it is more fun to ride in the rain.

Feel free to PM me.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the info. It really helps.I have requested the first 3 weeks of August off 2012 but should end up with a total of 25 days for the trip. Seems it will be a go for me.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
When you get back home you can tell as many fish stories as you want like... I actually went off a frost heave once and go the bike completely airborne although I was only doing seventy.
Okay - that's not even funny.

Of course, we were screwing around with another rider on a BMW so we hit a double set of heaves over 100 mph and yes, 2-up bike and very heavy trailer did get airborne. Man oh man I wish I had a picture of THAT! First set loaded the suspension and the second set launched us. Not the first or last time.

Still gets your attention. We backed it down quite a bit after that.:nojoke: :nojoke: :nojoke:

·
Banned
939 Posts
shhh

How many times am I going to have to tell you DJ?

STOP FRIGHTENING THE CHILDREN!

They are getting old and need to spread their Wings and learn the ways of the world. Stop making them so nervous. Set them free!

Damn a 100 eah? And I here I thought my yelow one was fast? :beer2:

Was that them there kilometers and hour conversion deal 100 is right about 60 better times by 2 to be "safe" confusion deals going on sort of thing there or what?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Oh no.. we kept running into two buddies on the 1200 BMW's. Last time we saw each other they were ahead of us but we were running a bit faster so we caught up. Then I got bored with their pace which wasn;t even at the speed limit so I passed them. Next thing I know, the lead bike is right on my six, so I think 'aight' let's have some fun.

So now we're starting to let the bikes breath a bit as we see his buddy disappearing very quickly behind us.

About as surreal a moment in time as you can imagine. Two bikes of completely different backgrounds... two riders of completely different backgrounds... hammer down in the Yukon... ahhhh That moment in time signifies what it is to be free on a bike.

Then I feel gravity getting much stronger, and then all of a sudden everything was just as smooth as glass... and then we landed! ha ha ah

Anyway - we had a really good laugh and he went back to his buddy. (Turns out they both work in the same office but one has little to no experience and the other has some dirt bike racing in his background. I will let you figure out who joined us.

Not trying to scare the kids... just trying to keep the Alaskan population down cause I do not know many people who have spent any time there who do not want to move there at one level or another.

I would not think twice about it. If I did not have a wife who loathes snow and is unwilling to really learn what the weather is like up there, I would have liquidated myself out of Florida and already assimilated into the wilderness up there! (As we discussed... she saw Sitka in a movie without snow and now she thinks it's beautiful and wants to know about weather and job opportunities. I did not want to be in Sitka / Juno but I can compromise!)

Alaska is the embodiment of what this country used to be about. IMHO

·
Banned
939 Posts
saftey first

Well it looks like even DJ has a few “safety” lessons to learn still. :shrug:

Looking in the mirrors he was I bet! To see if that BMW was gonna try to keep up. :?

Good thing they discontinued the Space Shuttle. I think DJ lives in Florida and was seriously starting to think about taking all his airborne training to the next level. :shock:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts