1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I use the Avon TRIKE tire, with good results, so it looks like I will do my homework..Only problem is that I just replaced my front out as I was putting her away for the winter hibernation season ...So I have zero miles on it as we speak......So my big dilemma is, do I wait till 12,000 more miles on the bike, and buy it then, or do I purchase one now and spend the $84.86 and have tire sit for two seasons, before I need a new one again???

Ronnie
PS: I did spend much more than the $84.00 for the tire, that I just replaced in November when I put her away for the winter season....

·
Registered
855 Posts
The (H) version also dropped in price today but I'm going to return them and keep the (V)s when they show up.
The H one is a bias ply and pretty sure it's the wrong size for GL1800. IIRC, the H was for Harley trike front wheels. The H is also for 16" wheels and the V is for 18" wheels.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The H one is a bias ply and pretty sure it's the wrong size for GL1800. IIRC, the H was for Harley trike front wheels. The H is also for 16" wheels and the V is for 18" wheels.
Really?

Here's a screenshot of my order.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Really?

Here's a screenshot of my order.

View attachment 364922
Ok, now I understand. That's not the trike tire. That one is for regular motorcycles. The Cobra Chrome for trikes specifically says trike in the ads and on the tire. Not that this wouldnt work but it's not the trike one.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use the Avon TRIKE tire, with good results, so it looks like I will do my homework..Only problem is that I just replaced my front out as I was putting her away for the winter hibernation season ...So I have zero miles on it as we speak......So my big dilemma is, do I wait till 12,000 more miles on the bike, and buy it then, or do I purchase one now and spend the $84.86 and have tire sit for two seasons, before I need a new one again???
Ronnie
PS: I did spend much more than the $84.00 for the tire, that I just replaced in November when I put her away for the winter season....
I am a bit puzzled by the fact that you only get 12,000 miles out of that tire since your posts lead me to believe that I am a lot harder on front tires than you, unless you change them earlier than I would. I have run several of those tires and get 17-18,000 out of them. However, the Cobra Chrome that this post is about seems to be quite a lot better tire. I am currently running my first of them and crossed 32,000 on it today. (I have never got that kind of mileage out of any front tire, even on a 2wheeler.) Will probably change it this week or next. As far as ordering ahead when tires are on sale, I’ve done that for years and never had any problem doing it. I have ordered as many as 4 ahead and had them on hand when needed. Might not be something that you want to do, but never was a problem for me.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't know how long the rollback will last; I just got the notice this morning. I've really liked the Avon I've had on the front so I've ordered several more. $84.86 is a pretty good price.
Thanks for that info. Wasn’t even aware that Walmart sold motorcycle tires. That’s a GREAT price. 2 for not much more that I paid for the last one. Ordered 2 so good for a lot of miles now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't know how long the rollback will last; I just got the notice this morning. I've really liked the Avon I've had on the front so I've ordered several more. $84.86 is a pretty good price.

LDRDR, can u explain what this Walmart rollback is, how it works and how you got them to notify you on it? I never knew something like Avon Cobra Chromes could be gotten this way through Walmart. That's a heck of a deal. Many thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice find! I wonder if these can be used on regular GL1800's (not triked)? Anyone have any experiecnce, or is this only for trikes? Im currently running a Battlax BT-45 for the front tire and it does surprisingly well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LDRDR, can u explain what this Walmart rollback is, how it works and how you got them to notify you on it? I never knew something like Avon Cobra Chromes could be gotten this way through Walmart. That's a heck of a deal. Many thanks.
Walmart does not run sales, but they will "roll back" prices on some items for a period of time. That time could be days/weeks/months/permanent; it really depends upon the deal they get from the manufacturer.

As to how/why I got notified, I couldn't tell you. I buy a lot of stuff from Walmart.com (I retired from the company this week) and I'm sure that our Artificial Intelligence stuff knows very well what I like to do on my off days, or it was monitoring my conversations or my searches. I just don't know how/why, all I know is that they sent it to me at just the perfect time.

As to our selling moto tires, we sell a TON of stuff that people have no idea about. Need a new Ford Crate Motor for your hot rod? We can take care of that for you. Amazon is not the only online retailer that has a gazillion items available. Our big upside is that we have 5,000 locations around the country where you can pick up your stuff so you don't have to worry about it being stolen off your front porch after delivery.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice find! I wonder if these can be used on regular GL1800's (not triked)? Anyone have any experiecnce, or is this only for trikes? Im currently running a Battlax BT-45 for the front tire and it does surprisingly well.
Trike is just the name of the tire. Just as the Cobra Chrome doesn't actually have any chrome on the tire.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Trike is just the name of the tire. Just as the Cobra Chrome doesn't actually have any chrome on the tire.
The Cobra Trike tire has different specs than a Cobra Chrome for a two-wheeler. I know this because I bought a Cobra Chrome through a local parts dealer. They ordered a Chrome Trike by accident, not knowing they existed as they had just been launched. When it came in, I saw "Chrome" on the sidewall and researched Avon's site. I can't recall what the differences are, but they are indeed different. If Avon intended them to be run on two-wheelers, they would only offer the Chrome Trike.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Walmart does not run sales, but they will "roll back" prices on some items for a period of time. That time could be days/weeks/months/permanent; it really depends upon the deal they get from the manufacturer.

As to how/why I got notified, I couldn't tell you. I buy a lot of stuff from Walmart.com (I retired from the company this week) and I'm sure that our Artificial Intelligence stuff knows very well what I like to do on my off days, or it was monitoring my conversations or my searches. I just don't know how/why, all I know is that they sent it to me at just the perfect time.

As to our selling moto tires, we sell a TON of stuff that people have no idea about. Need a new Ford Crate Motor for your hot rod? We can take care of that for you. Amazon is not the only online retailer that has a gazillion items available. Our big upside is that we have 5,000 locations around the country where you can pick up your stuff so you don't have to worry about it being stolen off your front porch after delivery.
LDRDR, thanks for this good explanation. I will see if I can get my Cobra Chromes from them. Congrats on your retirement!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Cobra chrome trike is suppose to have a flatter profile because the trike does not lean when cornering. May also have a different compound for better center treadwear.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The rollback didn’t last long. Now $185.20. Glad that I ordered 2 at that good price.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts