GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Need the full scoop on the Avon tires, New Avon Cobra Radial GL1800 Goldwing Tires (GL1800, Valkyrie 70-Profile 180/70HR16 Avon Cobra AV72)
Are these radial tires? Heard problems with cornering and high speed. Trouble getting them on. Kick stand too short, etc. Are they worth the trouble to correct the speed issue? Need some straight info, if possible.
Thanks
LK

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Hi
Need the full scoop on the Avon tires, New Avon Cobra Radial GL1800 Goldwing Tires (GL1800, Valkyrie 70-Profile 180/70HR16 Avon Cobra AV72)
Are these radial tires? YES Heard problems with cornering and high speed. HEARD, Yes; experienced, NO. Trouble getting them on. NO Kick stand too short, etc. NO Are they worth the trouble to correct the speed issue? NO Need some straight info, if possible.
Thanks
LK
Have OE Cobra's, have not tried 70 rear Cobra. 70 Read Venom R was GREAT! Avons are tops for grip. I prefer teh greater lean onto the kick stand, very secure. Best way to correct speedo is with SpedoHealer. Hard to put on is relative; thay are all relativlely more difficult than car tires, but with correct tools and experience its a snap.

prs

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Avon has the Cobras in the proper GW size and rating and I imagine they fit and perform just fine.

I'm just sayin' ;)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I give you my totally subjective impressions:

OEM Cobras:
The front Cobra tire had an imperfection on it. It kind of made the front end wobble a little near stopping speed (my bike does not wobble, anymore, Traxxionized). The service guy diagnosed a flaw on the tire. He took it back and I went back to the Goldstamped 709 Stone.

Others have reported front Cobra troubles on this board...do the search and and you'll find them.

The rear Cobra is fairly good. It seems higher than the other 60 thus it seems to mellow out the rpm. It also seems to ride a little softer than the Metz. I do not think it has as good of a grip as the Metz 60. Too me, it seemed drifty on hot leans.

I do not know anything about the 70 Cobras but my ears are open. I am a 70-tire fan. Presently runing the Venom Cobra. In my view, nothing runs a Wingabego better than a 70 Venom: Grip, clearance, comfort, rpm synch with the gear ration, speed correcter...its the bomb!!

I just came back running 80-90 with the little-lady on the back...it runs even better two-up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cobra 70 - just say no...

I heard so much conflicting info on the Cobra 70 on the Wing, I wrote the manufacturer, here is their reply...

Thank you for contacting Avon Tyres. Yes, we do not recommend the 70 series Cobra 180 for GL 1800’s. It is not as strongly reinforced as the 60 series and the 60 series was designed specifically for your bike. Many people used the 70 series because it was slightly taller and helped to correct their speedometer. However, our new 180/60R16 Cobra has a larger diameter then the previous Venom-R that was available and should also correct your speedometer. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for supporting Avon Tyres and ride safely.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
180/70HR16 Avon Cobra AV72 The "R" indicates that it is a radial.
I have run both the Venom and Cobra 70 series and had both them start to delaminate. Neither of these were ever run under (or over) inflated. I have not had an issue with the stock 60 series of either. I personally will not go back to a 70 series, the problems outweighed the advantages.
The "Advantages":
Speedometer correction
Minor gain in lean angle
Higher load rating (defeated by tires delamnating:22yikes:)

The "Problems":
The 70 series tires are built different than the 60s (I have had more issues with 70s than stock size tires)
Ride height, lean angle on side stand
Change in steering angle, makes the Wing "twitchier" compared to the stock tire size (which is "amplified" towing a trailer)
Delamination

As noted in my sig line I have taken a different route for my rear tire, but I have a new 60 series Avon Cobra mounted on another rim if I change my mind. You will also note, if you search, that there have been a number of 70 series tires delaminating/separating.
I am very happy with the Avon Cobra (and Venoms prior to the Cobras) front tires. I intend to continue their use.

If you are going to the 70 just to "fix" the speedometer error, you may want to look at the Yellow Box or Speedohealer units.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had Avon Venom X'x on my GL1500, loved them
I had Avon Venom R's on my GL1800a, nothing but trouble, took the off in about 6000 miles.
I put Dunlop E3's on.. Road well, wore well for me, very well. Handling not as good as the Avons. But a great over all tire. ( i have over the years not liked Dunlaps at all until these.)
After the E3's I put Avon Cobras on in the stock size. They handle great, better than anything that has been on the bike ) with 8000 miles on them they are wearing great.. Until the Dunlaps I couldnt get 10000 miles on a set ot tires ( 16000 on the E3's)
I love these tires so far.. Handling and ride is very good. I run about 45lbs pressure in them as I did with the E3's. And they are still quiet.
The only thing I dont like about them is that they are very slippery on the tar strips.. Thats it.
IMHO Cobras or E3's are the way to go...
PS I put Avon Storms on my Rune.. Man they are a great tire. Totally changed the handling for the better

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I am always curious about information not available when people talk about their tires "delaminating".

I have heard "delaminating" tire-stories with equal frequency on both, the OEM 60 and the 70. Perhaps I have heard more delaminating stories about the 60/s than the 70. Probably because less people use 70.

My curiosity entails:
Under what road conditions did these "delaminations" take place?
What was the road temperature? Summer?
How long (consecutive riding) where you on the road before the event?
What was the load?
Where you towing? (BTW, Honda says that is no-no!)
How many miles where on the tire prior to the event?
What kind of use/abuse where the tires subjected to prior to the event?
Inflation history?
What year of manufacturing for the tire that delaminated--how old was it?
How heavy is the rider?
How do you shift/hot-rod/break?

MY HUMBLE SPECULATION:
My believe is that presently manufactured tires for the Wing are dangerous...I know, you don't have to believe me...but when the Honda Corp. puts a 250 Dumflop on a Wing off the showroom you gotta wonder how much thought goes into reliability; knowing this tire is going to haul an 800 lbs motto with 3 loaded suite cases on the rear, a bag on top of the rack, maybe a chick on the rear seat and a trailer in-tow.

No sir, I do not believe that there is a Wing tire designed for touring. This is the reason why tires discombabulate frequently (more frequently than I want to hear). If you race a Goldwing around curves (like many of you do) you are imposing tremendous forces of those ****tiiie-asssh tires we buy...particularly, compared to a crouch-rocket.

If you are crazy enough (or sensible, pending on your view) to use a car tire and ride around for a while you will understand what a tire designed for a touring bike like the Wingabego should feel like. I grant you, I don't like the way car tires handle on the Wing. But the experience of riding on one has left an imprint on me that feedsback to me what a touring tire should feel like.

Most tires now sold for the Wing are good for 5k. After that, they are flat in the middle, or noisy or cupping or something...imagine! having to tour around the US and changing your tire every 5k to maintain optimum tire efficiency....ridiculous!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I am always curious about information not available when people talk about their tires "delaminating".

I have heard "delaminating" tire-stories with equal frequency on both, the OEM 60 and the 70. Perhaps I have heard more delaminating stories about the 60/s than the 70. Probably because less people use 70.

My curiosity entails:
Under what road conditions did these "delaminations" take place?
What was the road temperature? Summer?
How long (consecutive riding) where you on the road before the event?
What was the load?
Where you towing? (BTW, Honda says that is no-no!)
How many miles where on the tire prior to the event?
What kind of use/abuse where the tires subjected to prior to the event?
Inflation history?
What year of manufacturing for the tire that delaminated--how old was it?
How heavy is the rider?
How do you shift/hot-rod/break?

MY HUMBLE SPECULATION:
My believe is that presently manufactured tires for the Wing are dangerous...I know, you don't have to believe me...but when the Honda Corp. puts a 250 Dumflop on a Wing off the showroom you gotta wonder how much thought goes into reliability; knowing this tire is going to haul an 800 lbs motto with 3 loaded suite cases on the rear, a bag on top of the rack, maybe a chick on the rear seat and a trailer in-tow.

No sir, I do not believe that there is a Wing tire designed for touring. This is the reason why tires discombabulate frequently (more frequently than I want to hear). If you race a Goldwing around curves (like many of you do) you are imposing tremendous forces of those ****tiiie-asssh tires we buy...particularly, compared to a crouch-rocket.

If you are crazy enough (or sensible, pending on your view) to use a car tire and ride around for a while you will understand what a tire designed for a touring bike like the Wingabego should feel like. I grant you, I don't like the way car tires handle on the Wing. But the experience of riding on one has left an imprint on me that feedsback to me what a touring tire should feel like.

Most tires now sold for the Wing are good for 5k. After that, they are flat in the middle, or noisy or cupping or something...imagine! having to tour around the US and changing your tire every 5k to maintain optimum tire efficiency....ridiculous!
Based on this, I will park the wing and never tour with it again.....:bow:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Based on this, I will park the wing and never tour with it again.....:bow:
Then you completely misunderstood the inferences on this post.

First of all, my reluntacy to accept the discombabulation of an OEM tire is based on the reasoning that there are many other factors that can cause things like "delamination": abuse, hot-rodding, exteme weather conditions and old (on the shelve) tires, etc.

The other reluctancy is based on the objective observation that current OEM tires do not last past and average of 5k--not working properly. If you have taken a long trip on your Wingabego, you must have encounter the issues of durability while using current motto tires. In my mind, a touring tire should last 30k and provide runflat traits. As a consumer, I urge to demand higher quality of tires rather than become complacently manipulated by Corp. profit driven manufacturing methods.

The current issues with motto tire motivate people to use car tire...you go try one, then we can discuss (with some sense of intelligent comparason) the attributes they propose for tire design...

I love you man!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Nando - this line is what struck out at me - My believe is that presently manufactured tires for the Wing are dangerous - I guess I question what is not DANGEROUS in your mind. Failures I understand - flats, delaminations (rare, but there) cupping (nature of the beast), but why do you call them DANGEROUS?

Premature wear is not dangerous if it is readily apparant - the operator makes it dangerous if he chooses to run it. Now you think a tire should last 30K miles to not be dangerous. And run flat also. It could be done, I am sure, but at what cost? I really do not think the wing market is strong enough for $600 tires that have all that, and will settle for the 10K average they are getting.

But, if tire mileage is that big a deal to you, go get a trike kit installed. We are getting way over 40K on the rear end tires, and 30K on the front. But they are car tires on the back, not Goldwing tires, so you would not like that either.

You can please 90% of the customers 90% of the time. Then there are those that will never be happy.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
600 bucks for a runflat that last 30k!!

Even that is better than 250 bucks for 10k and no runflat

Dangerous may be a strong word--I don't mind standing corrected on that.

However, the point is that these OEM tires don't hold up to the Summer temperatures and demands of 'over-the-road' riding. Their durability/wear traits reflects their deficiencies. They don't last because they cannot take the punishment of a loaded Wingabego riding 6 hrs a day in the Summer heat...at 80+...the way most touring creatures do!

These tires are too thin for touring. Rocky once said that the only thing they design for Wings is racing tires. In a sense, that is close to the truth because the only feature you get out of OEM tires is manuverability...
for short miles...just like a racing tire.

I am going to stand by my intuition that manufacturers CAN make an affordable touring tire for the Wingabego--if they wanted to!

The litmus test: who is better off continuing to make tires with the present OEM characteristics, You? or the Manufacturers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Avon tires

I have used the avon venom r tires for several years now and this is what i have discovered.

Gas millage improves approx. 1-2 miles per gallon
positive rolling tire.....rolls forever
lean over a few more degrees, corners very well
very quite almost no road noise
handles great on bridge grades
excellent in rain
get approx 15% more millage - front 13-15k, rear 9-10k

note- this is based on my aggressive riding style with nitro in the tires on a 2008 goldwing and ultra classic. I love and trust this tire.

Hope this helps!

Ol dawg
2008 goldwing
2008 ultra classic
2007 nightster
iba# 37327
mera

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Dawg,
...was that a size 70 Venom?
How many miles you have on your GL?
What psi are you running?

Glad to have you on the board. Welcome!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I ran Avon Venom-X on my GL-1500 and loved them. They wore almost as good as Dun ROCKS, stuck almost as good as Metzlers, seldom cupped, and sang only when just about wore out.

I went with the Venom-R on my GL1800 and had about the same great things to say about them. When Avon came out with the Cobra, I thought I would give it a try. The front Cobra is simply outstanding, besting the Venom-X and Venom-R tires in every way. The rear Cobra is the same except for one thing. That tire wears out faster than any tire I have ever had on the bike, even the Metzlers. I went through two rears (one down to the cord) and the front was only about half gone. The third rear tire I found a Venom-R still in stock and it is doing fine.

I will keep using Cobra on the front and Venom-R on the rear as long as I can keep finding them in inventory. Once the Venom-R is gone, I will probably go back to the Bridgestone tires for the Wing. They are not quite as sticky as the Avons, but they are okay if you don't do anything REALLY REALLY STUPID! :rolleyes:

As for Dunlops Gold Wing tires? I would rather ride on my rims! :22yikes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts