GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I run a different kind of tire now, bur the Avon Cobra it what I would be running if I was still on that type of tire. I am running a Conti Motion on front right now. If it don't work out like I like, I will go back to a Cobra!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What do you think good or bad
I'm only on my third set, but so far I love them, Avon recommends you run 41 psi in them I have found that 38 makes them stick like glue in all weather conditions... Even heavy rain on the dragon...

So far I haven't been able to push them hard enough on dry roads to make the back loose or the front push...

On the dragon in heave rain I pushed her real hard with no slippage on either end...

How long do they last, it all depends on how hard and how long you twist your right wrist???

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I am on my second set of Avon Cobras I really like the traction and the ride,if the second set holds like the first set I will purchase the Cobras again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Put a new set on tonight with centramatics and my how they stick...and centramatics make it feel like a new machine. :? Can't wait to pull out in the A.M. sporting new shoes.:excited: Had a set of Venom-R's and loved em. Thought we'd check out the Cobras.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I just removed my rear and replaced it w/ a BS 704. Haven't ridden it much this week so the verdict is out on the B/S. Got 10.5K on the rear and the front looks great w/ 12.6K. I think I can get another 3-4 out of it. They have been a great ire from the standpoint of adhesion to the road. Stick like glue...Very confident rolling in the twisties. The rear still had thread left but was cupped pretty bad and started to feel squirelly in the curves. I probably could of got another 1.5K of life out of it but had the 704 sitting there so decided to change it out. I ride a lot of twisties!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Avon Cobras

After Dunlap & Metzeler.. I like the Cobras best.. Handle and ride the best.. Planning on another pair when these go.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Great tires but...

Only one complaint. After about 3-5k miles, the front tire gets very loud on curves. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. I've had two sets and will get them again assuming nobody comes out with a better tire.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cobra's are the only tires I use, can't believe the traction in the rain simply amazing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm on my second set and love them. Quiet, sticky and wear well.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
What they said.. Great tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Before the last change I ran Cobras, about 8,000 on the rear and 10,000 on the front, non-aggressive commuting for the most part. Good traction, no issues with bubbles or separation. Wear was fairly even when I changed with slight cupping on the front near the end of tread life but no decrease in handling or noticable inbalance. I went with a Kuhmo on the rear and returned to Bridgestone on the front with Dyna beads as an experiment to gain some mileage on tires. I had good service with Cobras and will probably return to the brand for the front as a trial with Dyna beads then the Stone wears out.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Have my first set of the Cobras on my '04 with Traxxion full monty. Took off a nearly new set of E3's. Can't say as the Avons so far (about 1500 miles) are any better than the E3's, but the front Avon will "nibble" or move around coming to a stop gently on most surfaces. The E3's did that also, but not as bad. My E3's with about 4000 miles had noticable but not real bad cupping in the back, and the front looked good with just a hint of the odd wearing that happens due to the harder center tread. At 1500 the rear Avon doesn't seem to be cupping, but neither did the E3 at 1500.

I don't push the limits on turns much, and if the Avon's don't last as long as the E3's, I will go back to those or maybe try the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Only one complaint. After about 3-5k miles, the front tire gets very loud on curves. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. I've had two sets and will get them again assuming nobody comes out with a better tire.

If I were betting man, and I am not, I would bet its the REAR tire making the noise and the reflection of sound from wind screen making you think it is the front.

prs

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The only "tyre" I have used on this bike that had as much or more traction than Cobra was Venom R. The Cobra tyre is probably a better all around choice for long haul combined with twisty duty, but strictly in the twisties I give the edge to the now defunct Venom R. For me, rear Cobras have a very short service life and front ones seen to last and last by almost a three to one ratio. I purchased a supply of B'stones just after the great quake. The 'stones are fine tires. but I will be going back to Cobra for the superior ride and performance when they are all gone.

prs

·
Registered
989 Posts
If I were betting man, and I am not, I would bet its the REAR tire making the noise and the reflection of sound from wind screen making you think it is the front.

prs
Your exactly right IMHO. I had a 'growl" in the curves and replaced my rear
which was cupped pretty bad and now its quite as heck. We'll see how the B/S does. 10.5 from the Cobra.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts