GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...just installed a set on my wing with Dyna Beads...first time to try these tires,,just wondering how many wingers out there run these tires??? what kind of miles can i expect from these?? been running E3s...average around 15k with the Dunlops... these Avons are made by Cooper tire here in the good ole USA...cooper makes very good truck tires...i like buying made in USA when possible,,,

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool Transformer....gonna ride to church this am...just installed them yesterday,,,then it rained like crazy...LOL GRRRRRRR>>>>>>:wrong:

·
Registered
820 Posts
I had them installed about 2 years ago and have ~12k on them. They're the best tires and balance I've ever had on a bike.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks clev....AHHHH...12k in 2 years?????man..you gonna wear that thing out...mine will be 3years old July 27th....now i have 55k on it...just saying,,,,

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was going to get the Avons, but didn't want to change brands from the E3's just before taking a multi-thousand mile trip. I've heard very favorable, as well as very horrible reports on the Avons. I'm looking forward to the input on this board. Thanks for getting the question out there MOONDOG 08.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will have too keep an update on theses tires,,i am excited about made in USA ..i do ride hard at times,soo we will see how they hold up... PS:got my CMA reg form to send in to become a member...YAAAAY...:coffee1:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
They are like any other item on this forum....some love em, some hate em, but you really can't/shouldn't comment on them if you haven't tried them, although that doesn't stop many!!

Heck...there is a ATV shop here in Viola AR that swears the D250 is the softest compound tire available from Dunlop and absolutely the best tire for a GoldWing....he also has an opinion on CT's.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I use the rear Avon only. I love it.

I heard all the crash and burn stories too.

All I can say is I have heard them about all brands of tires. Such as the E3 is slick and will kill you..........well ya know if on fresh slick just started raining roads they are all slick.

If ya do not keep air in them they will have problems, and if you tear a bead mounting them, they will have problems.

Just saying, I see photos of the Metz with chunks flying out.

Never had any of those problems myself. But I check them before every ride, or after , at some point. And always check the air pressure daily.

Except for the last two weeks, too hot to even think about it...........those vents they told me are A/C, I think someone is pulling my chain. ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
opinion is like something else...everybody has one LOL...i have run 2 sets of D250s...no complaints....no complaints with the E3s either...the Avons are made in USA....soo that's why i installed a set....have run Cooper tires on truck...great tires...hope they put the same technology in the MC tire..we shall see...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just bought a set of Avon Cobra's. I have not installed them yet, waiting for state Inspection in October.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've been running the Avons for the last 3 or 4 sets of tires - great tire, great handling... IMHO

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been running the Avons for the last 3 or 4 sets of tires - great tire, great handling... IMHO
hey dude...what kind of miles do you average with the Avons????

·
Registered
159 Posts
will have too keep an update on theses tires,,i am excited about made in USA ..i do ride hard at times,soo we will see how they hold up... PS:got my CMA reg form to send in to become a member...YAAAAY...:coffee1:
Congrats on the CMA membership. You won't be disappointed. I also like the "Made in USA" label. That's one reason why when I replaced the '05 Goldwing, I got a '10 rather than waiting for the '12 made in Japan version.

I'm looking forward to reading the opinions and experiences of the members here with their Avons. Tires are critically important to me since I ride in rain; in temps ranging from 100+ to sub-zero; and mega superslab to dragging pegs, engine guards, even knees in the twistiest of "playgrounds". http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289046&highlight=deals
In know that this is a tall order for tires. I've been satisfied with the E3's and ME880's, but if there's something better, I'm interested. btw: I use the Centramatic Wheel Balancers http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Honda%20GL%201800 and liking them very much.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Bike is in the shop now having Cobra's installed (and routine service). Hope they're as good as I anticipate they are.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bike is in the shop now having Cobra's installed (and routine service). Hope they're as good as I anticipate they are.
Keep us posted Warprints.

·
Registered
820 Posts
After almost 8 years, I have 43k on my bike and these Cobras are my 3d set of tires; the 2d set was E-3's and I hated them from start to finish. I've never had a tire cup and wobble like the E-3's. And before I get dinged for that statement, maybe I got a bad set. My bike stays in top mechanical condition; especially bearings, fork, and tire pressure, so the bad experience was through no fault of my bikes. Good luck to those that have them.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I run a front avon I love it (the 709 bridgestone is hard to beat though!!) (a "different rear though) AND IF you have problems with an avon avon takes care of it!!! UNLIKE METZLER WHO DOESNT GIVE A [email protected]!!!!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have an Avon Viper on my front for about 17k miles now. It still has a little life left. I replaced OEM Lops with Avon Vipers at about 13K. Rear had a bad cut and I couldn't find another Viper so ended up with a Cobra on rear. I love both tires.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
559 Posts
Keep us posted Warprints.
The way it's been raining around here, I'll be able to give you a good review on how they do on wet pavement. The dry pavement review will probably have to wait until this fall, if it stops raining by then.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts