GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
I am on my second set of Cobras. I got 16,000 out of the rear and 17,000 out of the front on my last set. Great tires so far and plan to put Avon's on the Concours when the Bridgestones wear out.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Been running Avons in the front for several years. I get 17,000-19,000. Just changed one out at 18,200. Slightly cupped and worn. C/T on the rear.20,000-23,000 for C/T.

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
Cooper and Avon have some business relationship; but I am not sure of its extent. The Avon tyres are "Made in England". The Avon Venom R's were the predacesor tyre. I think the Venom R had even better traction, but the Cobra is great. I get a good 1200 miles on front Cobra, but only about 6000 or 7000 our of the rear; very similar to what I get with B'stones, less than with E-3. I am running B'stone now but plan on going back to Cobra next.

prs

·
Registered
898 Posts
On my 2nd set of COBRA'S with dyna beads..By far the best tires I have used to date.I got 14,500 out of the last set and they were still the best mileage I have gotten from tires and the quietest tire to date,thats why I went with them and the DYNA BEADS again!!! LOVE THE TRACTION and performance from these tires as well.Would not sacrifice mileage for performance so cant see me using anything else anytime soon,2008 --40,000 PLUS.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The way it's been raining around here, I'll be able to give you a good review on how they do on wet pavement. The dry pavement review will probably have to wait until this fall, if it stops raining by then.
lol ! :rain1:

G

·
Just replaced my E3's with my my first set of Cobras about 600 miles ago.

So far I really like them. Very grippy, super nice turn in. A very sure footes shoe thus far:thumbup:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Got about 16K on the front, with tread left to finish summer. Back...1100 miles, then ruined going through road construction, another, 2000 miles then ruined by screw, now a run-flat on the back.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The front Avon Cobra was the longest lasting tire I had on my Wing (~22k from the first and 10k from the 2nd before I removed it due to the tread seam opening up). After trying 2 sets of Avons and having 50% of them (1 front and 1 rear) have a seam open up, I'm a bit leary of Avon's quality.

They are just like all the other bike tires on the market (they are awesome and POS depending on your personal experiences), just watch them like a hawk and get rid of them when they show any signs of uneven/unusual wear.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280292&highlight=cobra+failure

Rear tire:

Front tire: (confirmed by Avon to be a seam opening up and not debris damange)

ok...just installed a set on my wing with Dyna Beads...first time to try these tires,,just wondering how many wingers out there run these tires??? what kind of miles can i expect from these?? been running E3s...average around 15k with the Dunlops... these Avons are made by Cooper tire here in the good ole USA...cooper makes very good truck tires...i like buying made in USA when possible,,,

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Rob.
That's enough to convince me to stick with the E3's. After all, if I can ride knee down, and drag pegs in the rain (in very limited circumstances), I guess the Dunfloppers aren't too bad. I'm always interested in finding out about something that might be better though. I'm loyal to none other than Jesus and my wife. :thumbup: Can't get any better than that!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I tried 2 sets of Avon Cobra's. Had some problems, but Avon did stand behind them. I liked them, other than the poor wear and the Pinocio bubble that appeared onthe the last rear. I am trying something else--thats why they make different brands!! Good luck. I have a Phone number to a GREAT guy with Avon, if you need it!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I am on my third set of Cobras (well third front and fifth rear) and I too have a major problem with them also...

I can’t make the front push or the rear get loose in the tight twisties???

Even ran the dragon heard in the rain and couldn’t make them slid out from under me???

I probably will never buy another set of them after someone comes out with a better tire!!!

Ole yeah I did have one delaminate on me and Avon wouldn't help me out a bit with it, it seems as though it was only on my bike for 4.5 weeks and a little over 6000 miles and they didn’t like it because there was no chicken strips anywhere on it, and they couldn’t find a place to take a tread depth check??? Said they had never seen a Goldwing tire look like that before??? I don’t get a company being like that???

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I've not run the Cobra rear. The Venom 70 rear is my favorite, but I'm on my last one and they have not been made in years. I will try something new when I wear it out.

I found the Cobra front to make the steering more stable/heavier than with a Bridgestone front. I prefer lighter steering, so I'll stick with the 'Stone there.

·
Registered
559 Posts
As I noted earlier in this thread, my bike was in the shop having Cobras put on. And as promised, I can give a wet pavement review because I rode 25 miles home from the shop in some pretty hard rain.

Compared to the original equipment tires that were still on the Wing (12,000 miles on them), the Cobras were much more compliant and had very good grip on the wet, and sometimes slightly flooded, roadway. Cornering was much improved, with the bike taking a set as I went through corners, whereas the old tires required constant correction through the corners. Hopefully, I can report on dry weather feel before the tires wear out -- it's still raining every day here !!

Oh, wore my Frogg Toggs on the ride home. Stayed absolutely dry. No leaks at all. A+ on the Toggs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
got about 2k on a set of cobras now..in the past i ran D250s & E3s.got too say the Cobras are by far the best tire i ran yet,,the ride is smooth & sticks like on rails....will be check en them reguarly for flaws..and air pressure...impressed so far...:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
So far I have had Dunlop E3's,Bridgestones,and Avon Cobras all have given me good service and gripped the roads well. Dunlop E3 and the Avon cobras lasted the longest with the most miles,I am on my second set of Cobras and like the ride,handling,and longevity of the Avon cobras the best so far.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have the Avon Cobras on my '04 Wing. After two sets of E-3's that cupped and made noise and wobbled coming to a stop, here is what I think of the Avon's.

They are much worse on tar snakes than the E-3's. They are quiet so far with just a few thousand on them, and appear to be wearing fairly smooth. Front tire is showing signs of that odd cupping that the E3's get, but not bad yet.

Coming to a stop, the Avon is much worse than the E3's at wobbling, I credit this on both the Avon and E3 to the slanted tread grooves that alternate, not a problem at much above walking speed, but still, an irritation.

Ride quality seems harsher with the Avons than the E-3, but I did some suspension work at the same time, so that may be the result of that instead of the tire.

I won't buy the Avon's again, but haven 't decided what I will go with.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Rode the bike in rain wet slick roads,i must say..the Cobras stuck good..very impressed. Dunlops seem to break loose with much lees throttle,,had to really twist on her with the Cobras to break em loose...:coffee1:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just put on a set of Cobras but only have 2000mi on them so far. Initial impressions are that they handle pretty good and the grip in the wet and dry is excellent. The jury is still out on how much life I`ll get out of this tire but if they come anywhere close to my last set of E-3`s I`ll be happy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ok...just installed a set on my wing with Dyna Beads...first time to try these tires,,just wondering how many wingers out there run these tires??? what kind of miles can i expect from these?? been running E3s...average around 15k with the Dunlops... these Avons are made by Cooper tire here in the good ole USA...cooper makes very good truck tires...i like buying made in USA when possible,,,
I got 18K on the rear of my X 40psi

·
Registered
112 Posts
We were down getting a new set of E3's installed for the TTT this month. Guy in the "Board Room" was there getting a rear Cobra replaced, he was trying very hard to get me to switch. His rear tire had "just over 6K on it but had developed a wobble" After they removed it, we went over to look at the wear and when we looked inside the tire:eek::eek: MAJOR de-lamination issue. Very lucky rider, that baby was just miles from total failure. Dealer service manager said "do not take this away" he said Avon will likely refund the cost of the new Cobra. :nojoke: A rider in our chapter had an Dunlap (don't know what model) de-lam. on his 1500 and the response was basically "tough s*** I will likely try a set of Cobras next go round.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts