GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I will be replacing the original tires on my 2010 Wing soon. I just ordered a set of Avon Cobra's, plus am going to have front Centramatic installed, possibly the rear also. The dealer told me that the Centramatic on the front tire is a must, but not on the rear. I ordered the new Avon's from DLP, however, they have not arrived yet. I will report my opinion after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Put avons and centramatics on mine last time-they have close to seven thousand miles on them now, so far they are nice and smooth, they don't appear to have any cupping yet.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've run Cobras front and back, an E3 on the rear, Stones front and back and of course the OEM dunnies.

On the front the cobra walks a little on tar snakes and had some slight cupping but nothing that caused any issuses. It had a softer ride that took away the shock in the handle bars on larger bumps. The 709 wore smooth (no cupping) and had a much harder ride than the Cobra but didnt walk as much on tar snakes. Both tires were worn out at about 11,500 miles.

On the rear I had a 70 series cobra develope a bulge at 6,000 miles Avon would not stand behind it! I also changed the handling of the bike a little in the corners. Seemed to almost fall into the corners, some might like this I didn't.

The Stone on the rear was also a 70 series. Handled better than the 70 series Cobra, but was cupping so badly at 4,600 miles that I had to replace it.

The E3 on the rear (60 series) was only 1,100 miles old when a 1/4 inch bolt punched thru it and abruptly ended its life. But the sidewalls were stiff enough to hold the bike up and let me safely stop the bike and get it on the center stand. It had much less traction in wet conditions than any other tire I ran except the OEM.

Upgraded suspension front and rear, added fork brace.

Currently I have a set of Cobras installed together (60 series rear) with 5,000 miles on them. The rear is starting to cup and make a little noise on the corners, but they handle very well in corners and on the slab in dry or wet weather, but as I said earlier the front cobra will walk a little on tar snakes.

I never got more than 9500 miles out of a rear tire and that was the D250 OEM. Never got more than 12,000 miles out of a front tire and that was also the OEM, the OEM were the worst for wet weather riding.

When I wear these cobras out I will try something else.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Actually the 60 series cobra suprised me with its great wear 14K and excellent handling wet or dry :yes1: the front was not to bad either lasted 19K but i was not as confident feeling in the wet with them on compared to the stone 709 IMHO Cobra rear stone front great combo :yes1:

cheers :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
As I noted earlier in this thread, my bike was in the shop having Cobras put on. And as promised, I can give a wet pavement review because I rode 25 miles home from the shop in some pretty hard rain.

Compared to the original equipment tires that were still on the Wing (12,000 miles on them), the Cobras were much more compliant and had very good grip on the wet, and sometimes slightly flooded, roadway. Cornering was much improved, with the bike taking a set as I went through corners, whereas the old tires required constant correction through the corners. Hopefully, I can report on dry weather feel before the tires wear out -- it's still raining every day here !!

Oh, wore my Frogg Toggs on the ride home. Stayed absolutely dry. No leaks at all. A+ on the Toggs.

send the rain over to Texas. it hasn't rained in 5 months

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
I will be replacing the original tires on my 2010 Wing soon. I just ordered a set of Avon Cobra's, plus am going to have front Centramatic installed, possibly the rear also. The dealer told me that the Centramatic on the front tire is a must, but not on the rear. I ordered the new Avon's from DLP, however, they have not arrived yet. I will report my opinion after a few thousand miles.

JUst an opinion-I have the CENTRAMATIC on front and back and this really works

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
JUst an opinion-I have the CENTRAMATIC on front and back and this really works
Laen

I have decided to go with both front and rear Centramatics. They will be installed along with my new Avon Cobra's this Wednesday, that is, if the Centramatic's arrive by that day.

I cannot imagine the Wing riding any smoother, but time will tell.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
ok...got about 5k on my cobras,love them,,no cupping,handles great wet or dry...no hydro plaining on flooded roads...Dyno Beads make it a smooth ride with no low speed wobble...so far so good...:thumbup:....2 up with trailer..

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
ok...got about 5k on my cobras,love them,,no cupping,handles great wet or dry...no hydro plaining on flooded roads...Dyno Beads make it a smooth ride with no low speed wobble...so far so good...:thumbup:....2 up with trailer..
Thanks for the update, Moondog 08.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well here is my input. On my second set of Avon Cobras. First front tire mounted up with 2 oz of Dyna beads went 23242 miles and was run to the wear bars, I might have waited too long who knows. The rear was mounted with 2 oz of Dyna Beads and went 17300 miles. It was worn from edge to edge. check out my tire pics on my photos page here. I mounted all the tires myself with a tire changer I made, see additional photos. Happy with tires but I believe they are made in England.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We were down getting a new set of E3's installed for the TTT this month. Guy in the "Board Room" was there getting a rear Cobra replaced, he was trying very hard to get me to switch. His rear tire had "just over 6K on it but had developed a wobble" After they removed it, we went over to look at the wear and when we looked inside the tire:eek::eek: MAJOR de-lamination issue. Very lucky rider, that baby was just miles from total failure. Dealer service manager said "do not take this away" he said Avon will likely refund the cost of the new Cobra. :nojoke: A rider in our chapter had an
Dunlap (don't know what model) de-lam. on his 1500 and the response was basically "tough s***
I will likely try a set of Cobras next go round.
I think the 1500 specked Bias belted tires ?

RJ

41 - 51 of 51 Posts