GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you buying Avon Cobras;
What kind of mileage are you getting on them (rear tire)? please state whether it is a 60 or 70 series. Thank you.

Yes this economy has me looking for something other than the Bridgestone G850. It is very gummy and has loads of traction. But do not last very long.

Has anyone gone from a G704 to a Cobra? How did you like it?

I'm wondering if the $50.00 premium is worth buying the cobra tire.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any info appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
NOT to get into a tire debate, but have you considered a Metzeler for the back? I ran Bridgestones last year and was pleased with them. The rear wore out faster than the front, which is probably the norm. Yellow Wolf runs a Stone on the front and a Metz on the rear, and I'm trying that now. So far so good. The advantage is that the Stone on the front is excellent, reasonably priced and lasts, whereas the Metz on the back is excellent, more expensive than the Stone, but lasts longer. Sorry, can't comment on the Cobra.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really haven't looked at the metzlers.
Were you using a 704 rear before the metz?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have Avon Cobra front, Avon VenomR 70 series rear. Cobras replaced the Venom R's. Currently have 8,000 miles on these and they are probably half worn, if that helps. I just bought a new set of Cobras which I will have to put on later this year.

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PhotoGuy, so is the metz is stickier than the 704?

RedWingFan, Can you comment on grip? (BTW, see you in the conference finals if all goes well)

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts

RedWingFan, Can you comment on grip? (BTW, see you in the conference finals if all goes well)
I wouldn't say the Metz is any stickier than the Stone. The Stone is an excellent tire. I've put about 650 miles on the Metz so far, some of those miles pretty hard riding, and am pleased with its peformance. As Yellow Wolf and others had said. In the short time I've had the Metz I'd say they're pretty similar, so if lasts a lot longer and only costs a little more than the Stone I'll be happy. Two caveats - my Metz is still a bit on the new side, and I have not ridden in rain yet.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll probably laugh or shake your head, but I've been putting Bridgestone 850's on the back. I just wore out my third one yesterday. I came home from a spirited ride up on some local goat trails and upon getting home, saw that I'm now down to the wear bars. They literaly last between 3 and 4K.
For pricing sakes, I might just go with the 704. But I'm really hoping someone will give me a good reason to spend another $50.00 on a Cobra if I can confirm that they are as good or better than the bridgestone 704 in grip, with better mileage than the stones.
Grip has saved my bacon a couple of time over just the past two weeks. So it is a large factor in tire selection. But continually buying tires all the time is getting expensive. No more 850s.

·
Registered
45 Posts

It's going to be an interesting playoff!!!
The grip with the Cobras is very good, even in the wet. I'm gathering from E3 users that Cobras are way better than E3's.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have 12k on the oem E3s and they are the least confidence inspiring tire I have ridden on lately. My ST-1300 had Avon Storms and they gripped well wet or dry, although the milage wasn't so great at about 6K on the back. I always replaced them in pairs because the front would be making noise about the time the rear was worm out. The E3s are loud in corners too.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I have a Cobra 60. I WILL TRADE it with anyone for any 70 size.

I liked the Cobra 60 ok. I did not give them a fair chance. I think it might be a good tire. I just went back to the 70 for a preferable motto-tire spherical transport gripology.

Cobra 180/60/16 with 100 miles on it. Will trade for any brand 180/70/16... but not Nedro's cause they are worn to the cord...ha!

I loved the grip of the 850 also Nedro...but those buggers dont last for sure.

My fav 70 (I know Pigeon is with me on this) is the Venom Avon...harder sidewalls, still comfy, more stable than softer walls like the Metz 70....I heard the Metz 70 are like riding on a Pogo stick...which is still better than the cemental OEM Metz....but the Metz 60 have superb grip.

I hear nothing but bad things about the E-3...though I have never used them because of their reputation.... I don't think Dunflop is that interested in making good motorcycle tires....they make good bug-spray!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have 14,000 on my cobras will get about 16 out of them i run the 70 an love it and i put the beads in them
If that is true, it makes the Avon cheaper at $209.00 than the 850 at $130.00.
That's the kind of info I was hoping to here.

NANDO:
I was hoping someone went from a venom to a cobra to get a report on the differences. I know you don't like 60, but is the grip of the Cobra 60 on par or better than the venom 70?

My 2 cents on the E3s. I got allot of slipping and sliding when I had them. The good thing was that it always caught traction before I went down. I will not be putting another set of E3's on my bike.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

NANDO:
I was hoping someone went from a venom to a cobra to get a report on the differences. I know you don't like 60, but is the grip of the Cobra 60 on par or better than the venom 70?

My 2 cents on the E3s. I got allot of slipping and sliding when I had them. The good thing was that it always caught traction before I went down. I will not be putting another set of E3's on my bike.

First let me say I like HAL. I have bought a lot of parts from HAL and tires:bow:.... Buttt my local stealer has the Stone G850 for $118 and free mounting and spin balancing if you bring in the rim. And yes, these are new production tires! :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
For those of you buying Avon Cobras;
What kind of mileage are you getting on them (rear tire)? please state whether it is a 60 or 70 series. Thank you...
To begin with, I run all my tires between 40 psi and 42 psi depending on load and I use manufacturer recommended size: 180/70R16 rear and 130/70R18 front on my GL-1800.

I dislike Dun-rocks, almost to the point of choosing to ride on my rims rather than these tires...and not much difference in traction! :joke: If all you do is toodle down the interstate and want maximum mileage, these will probably fit your needs. Never ran these to the wear bars because I could not stand the lousy traction.

I think Metzlers are super sticky but they have very short life the way I ride ~5,000 miles both front and back.

Bridgestones are give me a good balance between good traction and tire life but neither is at the top of the chart. I still would recommend them for most riders. I get about 8,000 miles on the rear and 10,000 on the front.

I have always favored the Avons, both the Venom-X on my GL-1500 and the Venom-R on my GL-1800. Both gave me excellent traction and much better mileage than I expected ~10,000 miles on the rear and ~13,000 miles on the front.

After hearing all the hoop-la over the Avon Cobras, I thought I would give them a go. The rear was smooth as a baby's butt by 4,000 miles but I am nothing but persistant so I put another one on, thinking maybe I got a lemon because the front Cobra was almost like new. Same thing happened on the second rear Cobra. Dag-nap-it! I found a Venom-R in inventory and bought one as my THIRD rear tire while my front Cobra is around 4/32" from its 6/32" original tread depth so I expect it to go at least 12,000 miles before it is toast. Wear bars are at 2/32" and I am one of those cheap skates that wait until is it almost smooth in the middle before getting a new tire mounted. :duck: Hey, they use slick tires at the drag strips, don't they? Living in the desert, I don't get much rain so I don't have to worry much about hyrofoiling across water puddles! Whoo-hoooo! :a13:

I am an agressive rider that loves to attack twisties and I feel cheated if I don't use as much of the side tread as I do the middle tread of my tires. I never expect or care about getting 15,000+ miles out of a set of tires. I will change them early as long as I get the maximum number of silly wide ass grins from my rides.
:yes:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

NANDO:

I went from the Venom 70 to the Cobra 60. the 60 handles better to me than the 70. I have the Traxxion front springs though.

I like the ride of the 60 over the 70 also. I got about 14,000 hard miles out of the 70 and I changed it before the wear bars were showing. I have 4,000 on the 60 and it still looks new.

it will be Cobra 60's for me from now on with the speedohealer.

John

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
To me, the speedo healing you get with the 70 is not an issue. A bonus, but not an issue. I guess the psychological effect of knowing that your speedometer is registering the actual speed of the bike is...sensual?

The effect that the 70 provides, apart from speedo healing characteristics, is that the driveshaft torques the engine at an rpm that seems more in synch with the gear ratio. This makes the engine work less, and ride at higher speed with less rpm. I am of the mind that consenquently, my wingabego actually shifts smoother (less clancking). With a 60, the feel is that one is shifting when the rpm is higher than it needs to be for the bike's current speed.

I personally would not spend a penny to correct the speedometer from telling me the bike is going 4mph faster than it actually is...I guess you guys have GPS and stuff that does that for you already. I got to get me one of those so I can find my way to work in the morning. For some reason, I end up at Starbuck every morning instead of work...I eventually get there, somehow. Sometimes I can't tell if it is because I am lost, or that I just don't want to go there.

On the Cobra grip...I wish there was a way to measure 'grip' scientifically. My impression is that the 60 Cobra drifts on hard leans. I could be wrong, of course. If you sink your nail on the Cobra you can feel how much softer the compound is compared to the Metz. I think the Metz 60 has the best of 60 grip. I could be wrong, though. And the 70 Venom grips is the one that gives me the most confidence...ok, maybe I am wrong about that too...I think I fake confidence with the 70 more accurately than with the Cobra 60..yea, that's it, that's the ticket.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My biggest problem with the Avon Cobra tires is that between work, family, and weather; I have not been able to ride them enough. When stating how many miles any certain tire has lasted, it would maybe help if we could relate that to what we got with some other tire brand; even that can be misleaing. A set of OE sized stones for me is about a 7 to 8 thousand mile affair to the cords; excellent tire. A set of Dunslip E-3 for me hits the wear bars or cords at about 12 thousand and as they approach about 3 thousand they seem to get more slippery as if the compound is harder (but that sounds nutty). Avon Venom R with the 70 rear were my grippiest fittings and thay also lasted 12+ thousand if the nails would let me. My Mezelers went 10 thousand with plenty of rubber left, but I took the damned things off due to the absolutely deafening roar they made -- made the Avon Venoms silent runners by comparison! I did not give the Metzelers any special awards for grip, they were better than E-3, but I thought the 'stones and Avons were way grippier. The Cobras, mine are OE sized, are close to the Venom R's in grip, ride a tad bit softer, are a bit taller than other OE sized tires, and handle great. They are no longer silent, but are quieter than any other well worn tire I have owned -- the pitch of their noies is lower and less noticiable. I see no ned to go back to 70's with these. I hope Avon keeps teh Venom R's available for those who really like to cut-up the back roads.

prs

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Pigeon=wisdom=info=on the money=listen=learn= :thumbup:

Pigeon,
Being that I usually put your post inside my Bible where the Gospels are, I might just give the OE's new snake (cobra) a longer fairer trial....I got about 100 or so miles on it...maybe I was riding them on that time of the month and my sensory equipment was crancky.

It is clear that they are higher diameter than their OEM sisters. The have a rpm-ish feel of something between the 60-70. This may be a positive factor for many riders who want to stick with a stocker size. Certainly, they are softer.

This post originally inquired about 70 Cobras and there does not seem to be much commenting on this vein....

Let us know how they wear for you in the long run Pigeon...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts