GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will need to put on a set of tires before a long trip this summer and I am curious about the Avons. If any of you have tried them I'd like to hear your opinions. I am happy with Bridgestone somewhat, would not buy Dunlop or Metzeler.

Tell me what you know!!!

About tires that is :D

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Avon's are still being tested out in the real world on different GL 1800's. Rumor has it that they may be out to sell by the end of Jan. or early Feb.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess January or February would be OK since I don't need them until May.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got it

Got the new Avon on the back. Wish it would quit snowing. Look out Daytona. :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
tires

I read on the gl1800.org board that at 8k miles the AVON front tire had began cupping pretty BAD. I still believe if METZLERS get their front wobble straightened out that this will still be the best wearing tire of the bunch.
My metz have 4k miles with no sign of wear or cupping, i do have a slight wiggle at 40-30 mph decel if i remove my hands off the handle bars.
:biker: JD

·
Registered
264 Posts
JD Wrote:

i do have a slight wiggle at 40-30 mph decel if i remove my hands off the handle bars.
JD, that may be more a funtion of an improperly torqued steering head bearing than a tire. Have you ever had it checked?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have about 11,000 miles on my Metz's and they look VERY good. They grip like crazy in the rain and I oughta know! Lotsa practice!!!

I used them on my Yam Venture and this is my first set on the Wing.

I have the decel wobble too-I just don't take my hands off the bars.

They're loads better than the stock 'Stones I had.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm with Uncle Harry

8,000 miles on the Metzs and no signs of wear. Also, no slipping or sliding....I love these things and am hoping to see them back on the market so I can buy a second set this summer.

I just don't want to be first to use another product. In the past four years, first version of Evinrude fuel injected outboard, first version of the GL1800, first version of the PT Cruiser, first version of Dunlop 250s and then first version of the Metzler 880s. Enough! I am not up to being the first out of the gate with Avons.

Does anyone else think it is weird that we cannot find any tires that work right with the 1800?

I fixed the front end wobble the same way I fixed my nose bleeds. My nose bled every time I stuck my finger in it. I stopped putting my finger in it and it stopped bleading. Now, that I am keeping my hands on the bars, I get no wobble and it even seems to give me more control. Go figure.:oops:

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I'm with ya on the Metzeler's!

I'm on my 3rd rear and 2nd front Metzeler and have NEVER had a problem with them. These tires are awesome IMHO.............great handling, performance, and longevity!

I will continue to buy Metzeler's................

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had great success with the G709 front. As far as my air pressure gauge reads I have kept it at 36. There is just over 13000 miles and it still looks like new. The rear doesn't do near as well wich is why I was thinking about a different brand. I am not impressed with dunlops and I don't want to put up with Metzeler wobbles. I would be the lucky one to get a bad set.

Thanks for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts