GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the change and have a few hundred miles on them so now may comment.

AVON tires: Just as suspected, having had Avons on my 1500s, they are great, wonderful, a pleasure to ride. nufff said

Progressive springs: Put the springs front and back with 10w oil - I only weigh 175. While the last time I road was January first, now three months later, I can feel the difference. The ride is firmer but not as harsh. They did raise the bike up. I used to ride with a preset of 15 for normal riding and 25 through the twisties. I find that I can now ride almost always at 10 or less. In the twisties - there is a section that gets pushed everyday - I call it my road - where my pegs drag even at 25. Now at 10 I really have to push to get a drag.

One more place there is a change is the headlights. In the lowest position they are 3-4 inches high on the "headlight charts." I'm going to have to change the manual settings to lower them.

Both the Avon tires and the Progressive springs get a thumbs up from this rider.

Wendell Davis
Touring Magazine
Producer Director

G

·
0 Posts
I have a set of the Avons sitting in the corner waiting for the snow to melt so I can take the bike in to have them installed. Interested in opinions of more specific aspects of the Avons' performance: Ride soft or hard, how is the traction under heavy acceleration from stop, how is the traction in rain, stopping power in wet and dry, traction on gravel or dirt, anything else specific you can comment on? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
progressive and metzlers

I have progressives front and rear and a new set of metzlers, my bike handles very well, and do not drag anything. One benefit is the bike sits taller, so always have a good lean angle for my fish kick stand.
JD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts