GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
They are not on the market for sale yet, for the 1800! There are a few sets around the states being tested though....

If they change the handling personality of the 1800 like they did the Valk, the Avons will be great. Metzlers Suck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Avon tyres

Hey guys I e-mailed avon before the holidays and they were going in to production at that time and the tyres should be here in the states in January 04....I will have me some my next change...RED this is for you, have you or anyone for that matter changed the lens for a Hondaline or Showchrome FOG lites???I travel hy 50 in hernando county and the rock trucks are HORRID...cracked the lens and blew the bulb...I'm going to change both out tomarrow just wondered if there was any tricks???Thanks Garry Hudson,Fl.(just a little north of RED)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have heard so much about the Avon’s and really like the way the tire looks. If they get their tire for the GL1800 on the market prior to Metzler making their shipment I will jump all over the Avon and cancel my outstanding order with HDL for the Metzler’s.

Keep hearing "very soon" for both brands – the early bird gets the worm.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Red?

Red,
Tell me how come you think the metzlers suck?
Mine have 4k miles on them, and are not cupping at all, stick like glue, wear like iron, so what's the problem? Sure i got the wiggle decel from 40-30 mph, but 5.00 will get you 10.00 that the avons will do the same thing.
JD 8)

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Avon Concerns

It will be interesting to see how the Avons turn out. I love my Metzelers and ride them on both my Valk and my Wing. I'm not sure how valid this is, but one of my friends who is pretty knowledgable and who rode Avons on his Valk said his only problem with the Avons was that the carcass on the Avon is much thinner than most of the other tires and therefore does not hold up as well when you have a flat. If anyone has any specific info on this, it would be interesting for comparison.

The same guy soon thereafter had an accident while riding about 120mph on the Valk (me and antoher guy were back a ways and riding slower, but it was not a good day for any of us). Fortunately he came thorugh it, but lots of healing and still some problems. The Valk was destroyed for sure. That was August 2002. Anyway, his tires had lots of tread left on them but just the morning of the accident he had popped a small stone out of the rubber on the front tire, leaving a very small indent where the stone had been. We never thought anything about it as far as risk goes. After the accident, and we do not know exactly what caused it -- cross winds, imbalance in the packing of the saddlebags, or the tire -- but afterwards that spot on the front tire had small lines going out from it, as if it might have given away. The front rim was bent up and the tire was flat, but we never really knew if that spot might have given away, resulting in a blowout. He never pursued this in getting the tire from the salvage yard, but I was and am suspicious of that tire.

No matter what the beginning cause, travelling too fast in crosswinds is not a good idea, and it is always so important to keep an eye on your tires. I get down and check mine up close pretty regularly -- and even that is probably not often enough.

Anyway, I hope these Avons are great tires -- the ones for the Valk get great mileage and most of the guys really like the way they handle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts