GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Don't know what AV 2's are but I used o ide with Avon Cobra's. They were nice tires, wore down pretty good but had good traction. Get a little buzz in the handle bars because of the deep tred
:agree:

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Same topic, same OP, different forum? :joke: Copy/paste:

The Avon Cobra "tyres" are my current favorite due to the outstanding grip dry, wet, or even dirty roads. The front wears evenly for me and the rear feathers at the following edges of the sipes; actually they are a bit feathered before mounted. For me though, the howl like that of E-3 or the previous model Avon Venom-R rear tires/"tyres" never occurs. I can feel it, and can hear it rumble a little; but it does not howl. When I do feel it I shave the feathers off the rear with a coarse Stanley SurForm rasp, taking care NOT to remove rubber other than the feathers. They get a light shave 2 or 3 times in their life span. I admit that to be NUTS , but I don't like the symptom.

My problem with the Avons is price. Here in the US, we pay a rather hefty premium for them and there are rarely any big bargains that I can find. So I sometimes use the also wonderful Bridgestone Excedra tires, in fact my next set are B'stones and already mounted on my spare set of rims. Attractive sales specials are more common with the B'stones. The B'stones also feather, but less. I usually do give the rear a shave once in its life and again, that is just me being NUTS about that little rumble. The grip is very good, not quite as confidence inspiring as are the Avons on dirty roads. The B'stones and Avons also share similar wear rates; they wear quicker than the Dunslips or Metzelers in my experience. Depending upon my Jeckle or Hyde mood or mode of riding; I get from less than 7,000 to almost 11,miles out of Avons and maybe a bit more out of B'stones.

If you mount your own tires with manual methods, the B'stones are easier than others I have used.

prs

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ran cobras on my nomad and loved them. Had an oil filter puncture and go sue to some planned offroading. It did not go until next week. Oil spewing all over my back tire doing 60 and the cobras did not loose traction covered in oil. Super sticky and solid, but like stated pricey. I don't know how they are on a wing, but loved Em on my old nomad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts