GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the Motorcycle show in Detroit I met with the Avon Tyre rep and of course he said they (Venon R) are the best. His story sounded great--has anyone put Avon Tyres on and what experiences have you had with them in the rain and general riding . Would you put another set on your Wing?

Thanks, Barry

·
Registered
656 Posts
I put over 100,000 miles on my 95 wing, 65,000 miles on my 03 wing and 31,000 on a Valkyrie on Avon Venom R and Venom Xs. I have a set on new Xs and new Rs in my bedroom now waiting to be put on.

Anymore questions....

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
We have been installing a lot of Avons on the Wings.

Part by loyal Avon purchasers and part by Dunlops failure at supply.

Not one complaint so far. I am sure we will get some, just the nature of the business/customer.

These Avons are the redesigned tire. Early on, Avon had a major problem with delamination for the Wing tires. All that seems to be in the past.

I like what I am hearing about the performance of the Avons, from our customers.

Is this scientific and absolute. No!

I try to make a habit on not recommending one tire brand over another.

Bulldog

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ran Avon R's on my Valk now have them on my Wing. Never had any problems. Great grip. Never slipped except in wet, muddy road construction area when I was cut off. Ride with friends on Ultra, Super Hawk, Mean Streak, Valk found that all of switched to Avons after originals wore out. I also run the Valk 70 series tire (oops tyre) on the rear.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Wing and Valk, would not run anything else.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I have ridden a GL1800 on both types of Dunlops, the arly Bridgestones, and Avon Venom R. I have a set Metzelers in waiting (they are not in my bedroom and I am not going to put them on :oops: :p ) that I will place on the bike next Spring. Of the t"y"res I have used, the Avons are superior in regard to traction and very good re life. They are very stiff and if you do your own tire mounts, the NoMar spoon set is very handy for the Avons.

prs

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just switched out my 06 Wing stock tires with the Venom R's even though I only had a few K's miles on them......best tires I have run on the Wing's I have owned yet. Also running Avon's on my VTX1800R....all around great tires IMHO.

try them...if ya don't like switch them out with another brand until you get what you like.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I am on my 3rd Avon 70 seriesr rear tire. They wear real well and grip like glue wet or dry. I have rode for several hours at a time in down pours with no hit of loss of traction on the expressway. This is with cars pulling off the road because of how hard it was raining. It was raining so hard that Holly was behind me and got off on a exit instead of following me. She just laughed and got right back on the expressway.
There was a problem with the Avon when they were first released for the GL1800's. They added another belt to the tires and that has been the end of that issue, PERIOD.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
A little growly, but worth the grip! Replaced my front at 4000 miles due to glass, no fault of tire. Sliced down to the cord and never leaked air! Tough to put on rims though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does anyone get the log truck howl on the new avons now? The last set I used made me think all the wheel bearings were coming apart. The tires lasted good and had good traction, just couldn't stand the noise.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I've had the stock Dunlop 250's, the E-3's, a set of Metzeler's, and now a set of Avon's since last fall. I've put about 6K miles on them and I think I like them the best of all the tires I've had. If you ride lots of straight highways, they will howl/sing in the the turns. If you ride some roads with curves the howling/singing will go away.
So far so good. At this point if I had to buy another set of tires I would choose Avon's.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
bnotarius said:
At the Motorcycle show in Detroit I met with the Avon Tyre rep and of course he said they (Venon R) are the best. His story sounded great--has anyone put Avon Tyres on and what experiences have you had with them in the rain and general riding . Would you put another set on your Wing?

Thanks, Barry
I have a set of Venoms on both bikes. Better handling and cornering, along with tread wear. Most definitely will buy them in the future.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I had two sets of the ones that had the problems.

However I will try them again as I felt that they were a great tire and I am glad to hear that the problems are behind them.

The problem I have with tires now is that I really like the Stones too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have only run Avon tyres 2 sets on a 1500 and on the second set on the 1800, we have alot of wet roads here, they have never let me down, a number of us run Avons and feel they are the best tyre on the market, they have alot of grip in the wet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I love the redesigned Avon R's. Great sticky tire and it is flickable. Unless something really exciting comes along in the tire category I will be staying with them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use them on both the Valk and the Wing. When I had a VTX and ST1300, I ran them on those two, also.

They are great tires in all respects, IMHO.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
Hardrock said:
Does anyone get the log truck howl on the new avons now? The last set I used made me think all the wheel bearings were coming apart. The tires lasted good and had good traction, just couldn't stand the noise.
I put a Avon on the rear of my bike..running a Bridgestone G709 on the front and the combination works very well. I really like how the rear Avon feels, seems to be wearing well and it sticks in the wet as well as the dry, but I'm really getting tired of the noise the rear Avon makes in the corners... I really hate the noise.... I'm going back to Bridgstone with my next tire.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like my 70 series Venom R, every tire I have used gets noisy as they wear. Anyone know the correct designation for the Bridgestone Valk tire so I could try one of those a couple of rear tires down the road?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
Karl of PDX said:
I like my 70 series Venom R, every tire I have used gets noisy as they wear.
Yeah, but my Avon started howling at around 3000 miles. :cry: The first 3000 miles were very nice and quiet, but now I can hardly wait for a new tire. It will be my luck this Avon will wear for 15000 miles :lol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts