GL1800Riders Forums banner

Avon Venom R Series

1K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  joe_flash 
#1 ·
Anyone here had any recent personal experience with this tire? I had a set on my '02 and they were great.

I would like to have an update if anyone has had any recent experience.

Many Thanks.

#2 ·
Pirate,

Word on the street from our customers, is that they like them very much and have no issues.

When they first came out for the Wing, they had a de lamination problem. Avon went back to the drawing board and came up with a pretty good tire.

As in all things, opinions are subjective.

We have not had to warranty any Avon's, but we have done a few Dunlop Elite 3's.

Bulldog

#4 ·
Ol Pirate said:
Anyone here had any recent personal experience with this tire? I had a set on my '02 and they were great.
I cant say specifically for the Wing, but a year ago I put a set on my Valkyrie, and I really like them. I know that in the Valk world, Venom-R tires seem to be the obvious replacement tire of choice.

I bought mine from Honda Direct-Line, and haven't regretted it.

#5 ·
I ran them for years on my VTX and have them on the wing now. Have over 9,000 on the front and have several thousand left. One of their engineers told me to run 42 front and 43-44 in the rear and that is what I have done. I personally think they are great tires.

#6 ·
I've used Avon Venom R's on two Valks (one Tourer and one I/S), my Bandit (1200S), the '85 Sabre V65 and my previous '03 Wing. No problems with any and handling/wear has been excellent.

That said, current '03 Wing has Bridgestones and they are handling/wearing just as well so far (and, I recently got to try them out on ice/snow/sand and they worked out well there too).

I'll prolly go with Avon's when the next change is due but can't complain about the 'Stones.

#7 ·
AVON

I have Venom's on the Goldwing (5,000 miles so far) and on the Warrior. Love the way they love me.

#10 ·
I only got 6k miles out of mine. I had alot of chord showing at 6k when I changed them out. I like the crown of the tire (which effects handlebar pressure in various parts of a turn). Traction was great for the first thousand miles but seemed to drop considerably after a thousand miles even though there was lot of tread left. I enjoyed experimenting with the Avons, but for me, the higher price combined with the lower milage did not fit my value system. The additional traction (if any) during the first thousand miles was not enough to warrant the additional cost and shorter tire life.

#12 ·
Venom Tire

Only negative I've heard is that the local service shop refused to put them on my buddies 05 because he (my buddy) isn't known for his attention to tire pressure. Service shop said that to run Venoms you had to be religious about pre-checking your pressures. That wouldn't stop me from purchasing a set this next go round, I haven't been all that impressed with the Elite III vs. the OEM Dunlop model.

#13 ·
had them on my 02 wing, great tire. just put avon av45/av46 on my 04 bmw 1150rt and they appear to be a very responsive tire, im happy.

#14 ·
A little late, but my opinion is Avon's are the best tire for a Goldwing that are being made today. That my story and I am sticking to it. And by the way I have not had any air issues with any of my Avon's, just make sure the installer knows what he is doing. I think some of the air issues are old valve stems (replace every time you repace a tire) and the tire is not properly seated (stiff) three ply sidewalls and six ply tread. :D

#18 ·
They do grrrrr! a lot, especially on turns. Grip like glue, i use the radio or music alot so no bother for me. Got 4000 miles on em before a mini jackdaniels bottle sliced the side wall in a parking lot, but never lost air! Just changed it with another. Happy!

#19 ·
You're supposed to throw your empties into the trash can GL03, not just drop them on your way in to the bar.. ;) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.