GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried the venom tires on a 1800 IM WANTING TO BUY A SET BUT DIDNT WANT TO WASTE MONEY IF THEY'RE not any better

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I like mine!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I love mine. had run through 4 sets an my VTX with good luck also.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Im on my 2nd set... Love them!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
love my

I love them ,great in the all type of weather,

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
I have not used Metzelers yet; but other than that possibility the Avons are the best of class for me.

prs

·
Registered
38 Posts
mpat76 said:
has anyone tried the venom tires on a 1800 IM WANTING TO BUY A SET BUT DIDNT WANT TO WASTE MONEY IF THEY'RE not any better
My Tip is the Bridgestone Excedra G704 Tire.
These Tires are mounted on European GL 1800 from Modellyear 2005
on. I know the Avon from my before GL 1500 and loved them.
But the Bridgestone Excedra G704 is a excellent Tire, even in the Rain!

Get it - you won`t regret it.

Laureon

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
got mine.. 70 series rear.. like 'em so far, but all i've done is commute..

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Tip is the Bridgestone Excedra G704 Tire.
These Tires are mounted on European GL 1800 from Modellyear 2005
on. I know the Avon from my before GL 1500 and loved them.
But the Bridgestone Excedra G704 is a excellent Tire, even in the Rain!

Get it - you won`t regret it.

Laureon[/quote]

What kind of tire do you have in the front? Exedra G704 are just made for the rear as they states on the B-stone web sight.
Shappe

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
I have the Avon rear tire and a Bridgestone G709 front tire which is a great tire. The rear Avon sticks just as good as the rear Bridgestone did on a wet or dry road and seems to be wearing better than the Bridgestone did....but....the Avon after few thousand miles on it is much more noisy than the Bridgestone rear tire was and the noise in the corners is starting to get on my nerves. My next rear tire will be a Bridgestone.

·
Registered
973 Posts
My Avons have proven to be a good a tire as I have ever had but they are noisy. Fairly quiet going in a straight line but lean, even just a little and they really start to sing. If the noise dosen't bother you then go for it. They are the equal to anything out there for handling, traction and longevity. Some last longer but don't grip as well. Some grip slightly better but wear faster. Avon Venoms are probably the best all 'round.

I would still have an Avon on the rear if I hadn't switched over to a car tire.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
mpat76 said:
mpat76 - a few months back you would read report after report after report by Avon tire owners expressing serious problems. Personally, I crossed them off my list of tires that I wanted to try since the reports were quite serious. Now maybe Avon (which normally makes a great tire) went back to the drawing boards and isolated the problem(s) so the current tire is a much-improved GL1800 tire. Obviously, now there are some positive responses, but I won't revisit considering a set of Avon’s until there are months and months of positive reports by riders that log a lot of 1800 mileage month after month.

I've tried many many sets of tires and all of the other brands and the Bridgestone’s consistently give me the best performance. Without question IMO (and many others) the G709 Stone is the best front tire made for the Wing and handles extremely well on all kinds of pavement and in all types of weather. The rear G704 is good, but not as great since it's mileage is usually only about 12,000 miles for me (whereas the G709 is about 17,000 plus with little or no cupping). Many are trying the 70 series Stone rear tire and that may offer better performance too, time will tell on that.

You can always try a set of Avon's and see how they perform for you, although I've never had a Stone let me down on short or long trips - wet or dry weather so it's hard to not rely on consistently good performance. I would still like to see far more positive reports on the Avon to establish any kind of comfort level to go that direction, but maybe that is just my own prejudice.

Good luck with your choice of tires.

DaleC

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
See Yellow Wolf's report on Wing tires...its is the most true to the collective wisdom on tires on this board...and the way he uses tires, I would take his comment as a 'word up' dawg!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts