GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a request to Avon for stats on their new tires. Here is the response:
Hello, so far the tests seem to be going well. It is too soon to give mileage estimates. Stability is good from under 20 mph to 80 mph. Tires appear to assist with most of the shimmy problem. Ranked very good on Undulation, maneuverability, straight line, braking, comfort. Still waiting for wet grip evaluation.

Sincerely,

Sukoshi Fahey (Ms.)
Avon Tyres (Hoppe & Associates)
407 Howell Way
Edmonds, WA 98020 USA
800-624-7470 fax 425-771-4246
www.avonmotorcycle.com

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
hmmmmm, wonder what happens if you go under 20 or over 80??

:yw1:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Under 20 mph the tire comes off the rim and over 80 mph the rubber comes off the tire. It is manditory that you keep the speed between 20 and 80 mph. Never come to a full stop below 20 mph, it coud be dangerous. LOL :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Never under 20, never over 80... Sounds like the way to drink Jack Daniels... Never fill the glass more than half and never let it get below one quarter.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Okay maybe I'm stupid! :?

BUT

What they hey does this mean??

Ranked very good on Undulation...

Sounds like some sort of wierd technical jargon meant to confuse people like me.................heheeeeee!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Undulation......A waving or sinuous motion.
Sinuous.........Characterized by bends, curves, or folds; winding,
undulating.

There ya have it ! No thanks needed ! LOL

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Thanks Mike...........
Guess I could of looked it up under Webster myself!

Definition of Undulation:
Main Entry: un·du·la·tion
Pronunciation: "&n-j&-'lA-sh&n, "&n-dy&-, "&n-d&-
Function: noun
1 a : a rising and falling in waves b : a wavelike motion to and fro in a fluid or elastic medium propagated continuously among its particles but with little or no permanent translation of the particles in the direction of the propagation : VIBRATION
2 : the pulsation caused by the vibrating together of two tones not quite in unison
3 : a wavy appearance, outline, or form : WAVINESS
Definition of stupid:
Main Entry: 1stu·pid
Pronunciation: 'stü-p&d, 'styü-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus, from stupEre to be numb, be astonished -- more at TYPE
1 a : slow of mind : OBTUSE b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : BRUTISH
2 : Brian Fenner

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Ken said:
.... Stability is good from under 20 mph to 80 mph. ...

I got curious about the Avon’s and just found this topic chain. I think that Avon was agreeing with Honda’s claim that these bikes are not meant to be ridden slow and indicated such by giving the low end speed as 20 MPH. The over 80 range is more of a fear of liability and their lawyers made them exclude speeds over 80 on the review available for public release.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts