GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I occasionally get around to reading this forum and find lots of helpful tips. One thing that comes to mind is my riding habits and awareness of control and skill. I sometimes catch myself forming an undesireable habit . This usually comes as a result of not maintaining complete focus on my operating ability. Once I catch myself doing an unsafe manuever i will dwell on it and try to correct it ASAP!..Most recently I catch myself holding too closely to the centerline while approaching a left turn with oncoming traffic. Low speed control can become a little hairy when there is approaching traffic and wind conditions are bad. If there are others who have awareness of concern and would care to list. welcome to this post. Happy Holiday's ..Ride Safe...

G

·
Bad habits can't be broken any time soon.

I had one this summer that I hope is gone completely.

Before I would apply any braking, I would down shift first, thinking I was saving on my brake pads.
Someone on the board stated by stopping that way, I could be losing seconds in case of a panic stop.
Now I rely on the brakes first and do very little down shifting.

Cheers !

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
my bad habit is was the same as yours,go look and me and fuses video and you will see,took me 6 months to break the habit but it can be done!!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Before I would apply any braking, I would down shift first, thinking I was saving on my brake pads.
Someone on the board stated by stopping that way, I could be losing seconds in case of a panic stop.
I guess I question this? Either you realize you're in a panic stop situation immediately or you have a boo boo. If you have time, downshifting/engine braking is the first thing to do... it will add mileage to your brakes.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Bad habits can't be broken any time soon.

I had one this summer that I hope is gone completely.

Now I rely on the brakes first and do very little down shifting.

Cheers !
Mike, I am changing my habit also. The post you are referring to got me thinking, but the big seller for me on that post, was downshifting to slow down does not let the cage behind you see your brake lights. I have noticed when riding behind other bikes who are downshifting to a stop, that I tend to get too close to them b/4 I realize it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
WhiskeryGoofy said:
Mike, I am changing my habit also. The post you are referring to got me thinking, but the big seller for me on that post, was downshifting to slow down does not let the cage behind you see your brake lights. I have noticed when riding behind other bikes who are downshifting to a stop, that I tend to get too close to them b/4 I realize it.
I agree with Mr. Whiskery.

The GL1800's engine braking is much stronger than a car's and that works great for two things; first, it saves on brakes and second it catches other motorists by surprise because they are conditioned to cue their braking as a reaction to other brake lights. IMO, distracted drivers are also a big part of the problem.

Perhaps brake lights should be activated whenever there is a slowing of speed instead of being activated by the actual applying of the brakes.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
The public transportation busses in my area (New Jersey) utilize a pair of amber lights at the top rear of the vehicle whenever the driver lets off on the accelerator. Here, we've all gotten accostomed to it and drive accordingly.
Perhaps the auto manufacturers could come out, in the future, with a similar device for our cages as well as motorcycles to allert other motorist approaching from behind of what's happening in front of them. That, of course, is taking in consideration whether they are paying attention in the first place. :lol:

Ride safely,

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Another thought along the same lines: I had developed the habit of blipping my clutch rather than my brake to come off cruise control. I think it is a little smoother way. However, the couple we ride with alot on long vacation trips, uses his brake, ergo I know he is slowing and I come off cruise also.

I had noticed when I am leading, and I come off cruise, that he gets a little too close sometimes. I now am sure its because he doesn't know I have come off cruise and slowing. So, I am trying to get into the habit of blipping the brake lever. Not only safer, but probably a little more courteous to him.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently started driving with my high beams on during the day. Im not sure if this is a good practice or not . I checked with local law enforcement and they said it wasnt in violation and told me that motorcycles should have illumination during day operation. Bump

·
Registered
59 Posts
A while back Texas Dept. of Public Safety had a place on their web site called "Ride Bright" on their motorcycle section. Among other things it said to use your Bright Headlights in daytime and consider MODULATORS. Since then I have Modulators on every bike I have ( about 5 years now),and I find it is obvious I am seen and really noticed much better. I have switches to turn them on or off when I feel they or needed or not needed. Of course a photo cell cuts them off at night.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Oran42348 said:
I recently started driving with my high beams on during the day. Im not sure if this is a good practice or not . I checked with local law enforcement and they said it wasnt in violation and told me that motorcycles should have illumination during day operation. Bump
I think this is good practice. I only come off high beams when in traffic at night.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
333 said:
A while back Texas Dept. of Public Safety had a place on their web site called "Ride Bright" on their motorcycle section. Among other things it said to use your Bright Headlights in daytime ....
These laws were written considering that most motorcycles have a single headlight and therefore a single high beam.

The Wing on high beam, however, has four beams located closely together, the center two are directed low and the outer two are directed straight on.

JMHO:
Other than a single headlight vehicle, I think it is highly inconsiderate of people sharing our roads to use their high beams on other nearby traffic. And I sure don't appreciated oncoming traffic that projects so much light that I'm inclined to look away from them to avoid the excessively bright light. How can forcing people to look away from you increase your safety?

With the Wing, daytime headlight modulators on the low beams can indeed add a measure of safety, and, IMHO, would be the way to best increase your visibility and safety.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
re engine braking: brake pads are cheaper than clutches.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
333 said:
A while back Texas Dept. of Public Safety had a place on their web site called "Ride Bright" on their motorcycle section. Among other things it said to use your Bright Headlights in daytime ....
These laws were written considering that most motorcycles have a single headlight and therefore a single high beam.

The Wing on high beam, however, has four beams located closely together, the center two are directed low and the outer two are directed straight on.

JMHO:
Other than a single headlight vehicle, I think it is highly inconsiderate of people sharing our roads to use their high beams on other nearby traffic. And I sure don't appreciated oncoming traffic that projects so much light that I'm inclined to look away from them to avoid the excessively bright light. How can forcing people to look away from you increase your safety?

With the Wing, daytime headlight modulators on the low beams can indeed add a measure of safety, and, IMHO, would be the way to best increase your visibility and safety.
I go along with "All Boots No Saddle" on this one. It drives me crazy to have oncoming traffic leave their high beams on, and that goes for daytime or nightime. By leaving your headlights on high, you are inciting road rage in my opinion. Don't be an A-hole...dim'em damit! :x

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the Wing, daytime headlight modulators on the low beams can indeed add a measure of safety, and, IMHO, would be the way to best increase your visibility and safety. I tend to agree that headlight modulator would be a safety measure .. anything to improve my visibility to oncoming unattentive drivers as i have had more than my share of pull outs and left turns crossing my lane. I wonder why the motorcycle mfg. doesnt offer that as standard operating equipment?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I seldom use high beams. My lows are switched with my driving lights and I run with both simultaneously. If I jump up to the high beams, the driving lights turn off. (Also, I don't often ride at night)

I "used" to pull up to the painted line in a left-turn lane but don't do that anymore. People turning left in front of me invariably "cut the corner" and drive over that painted line. :(

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I agree with David M. and would like to add cheaper than transmissions also. Brakes are made for stopping. Downshifting for braking can also lock up the rear on slippery surfaces.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I guess I formed a habit that has served me well over the years - I tap my brakes in both my cage and on the bikes. Before I even start downshifting and braking substantially, I tap the foot brakes.

Since I have the spoiler on the GL - it acts to get the attention of the vehicles behind me whether it is another bike or cage or truck that I am going to be slowing down.

Then when I am at a complete stop, if I am the last vehicle in the line, I keep tapping the brakes so that someone coming up behind me knows that I am stopped - and if I don't feel they are slowing down enough I sit on the brake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts