GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 GL1800..gas mileage has gone down tremendously the last 4 or 5 tanks...same riding speeds & conditions....new air filter & serviced by dealer....tire pressure proper...all kinds of gas from ethenol free to everything else...normally with ethenol free I got 42-44 mpg with ethenol 38-40 mpg...it is now barely getting 34 mpg no matter what kind of gas!!! Any suggestion anyone????

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have a 2010 GL1800..gas mileage has gone down tremendously the last 4 or 5 tanks...same riding speeds & conditions....new air filter & serviced by dealer....tire pressure proper...all kinds of gas from ethenol free to everything else...normally with ethenol free I got 42-44 mpg with ethenol 38-40 mpg...it is now barely getting 34 mpg no matter what kind of gas!!! Any suggestion anyone????
Reset the ECM. Put the bike on center stand. Start bike, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING, wait for fans to cycle on and off once or twice. Turn off bike.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
check spark plugs. they may still be working but one might be dirty enough to fire but not as hot as it should be

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wish I was getting your kind of mileage...my 06 consistently gets 32 mpg no matter what kind of tires, fuel, filters, riders, riding style, etc.

I'm good with that as I know this is a 1000 pound bike with me on it.

I drive it for the enjoyment anyway...if I were concerned about mileage, I would have stuck to my 750 years ago! LOL

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Have you noticed any change in performance? More or less throttle response, etc? I agree with others that resetting the ECM and checking the plugs are a good place to start but if that all checks out and you still have the issue, you may have a sensor that is not functioning correctly and therefore your fuel / air mix isn't optimized.

BTW....42-44 is pretty good mileage. I tend to get around 35-38.

Final thought....I'm assuming you haven't added any accessories to the bike. You'd be surprised how much drag and mileage reduction some of them will add.

For example, I get 3-5 MPG better with my baker mirror wings removed than when they are there. I've also seen pretty drastic changes in mileage by moving the windshield up a notch or two and / or riding with your face shield open or closed. Aerodynamics are a huge factor in the mileage difference on a wing assuming two bikes / riders at a constant speed. Aerodymic impact also increases with speed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing changed since gas mileage reduced...absolutely nothing...haven't noticed any difference in performance...not missing...acceleration still same...just mind boggling...plugs nearly new but could be never know...will reset ecm & see...thank!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome to the club. Mine dropped last year during winter months as usual, but never recovered. This winter it has dropped again, will see if it recovers any when we get back to the summer blend.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Gas blend can make a difference.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Reset the ECM. Put the bike on center stand. Start bike, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING, wait for fans to cycle on and off once or twice. Turn off bike.
When I have reset the ECM on my bike before, from engine start to fans turning on can take between 10-20 minutes.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Check the fuel pressure regulator. It's in the service manual.
Fuel pressure regulator fixed my 05. I did not bother to go though the procedure to test it. They don't cost that much and I figured that if going to remove body parts I might as well just change it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I get 41-45 mpg consistently when riding 2 up on my '06 and driving at 50-65 (casual riding). When I went to Sturgis and my avg speed was above 80mpg I was getting only 34. If I got below 41 for average riding I would not be thrilled but I would still love the bike!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Winter gas drops my mileage from 35-37 mpg to 32-33 mpg. Losing 20 miles of range per tank of gas makes it appear that the mileage is worse.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Not sure of your riding style but for me if i keep it below 3 grand in top gear on the highway cruising you seem to get better mileage :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Papaken44

Why not ask the servicing dealer why your mileage dropped significantly after they serviced it. You paid good money to improve things and it's gone the other way. Be interesting to see what they say to defend themselves.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I was going to ask the same question as I have similar problom with my 2001 went from 50mpg Canadian (roughly 42American) to 37,when I finally checked , bike runs fine This past summer did a coast to coast and started 220 miles or more before needing to stop for gas but somwere on the trip it dropped to 160 to 180 before having to fill , unfortunately I wasn't checking milage and would just reset odometer to 0 and way I would go , my bad , spark plugs filter changed before trip ,seems this issue is common in 1800s will be checking everything over the next month am sure this post will have many ideas on what this could be

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
blame on them dang tunnel fillers!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wish I could get any mileage, temps went into the 60's today and finally melted the snow from in front of the door but 30-40 mph winds and rain didn't seem too appealing.

re: your issue, any FI indication? Have you checked to make sure neither brake is dragging any?

John

1 - 20 of 44 Posts