GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aw'ite, I decided to go for a ride today since it was a beautiful 84 degrees and sunny. So I geared up and prayed up and took off. First thing I noticed when I pulled into a gas station was just how easy it was to make that turn. So, I gassed up and took some of the prettiest roads in N.C. for a relaxing three hour ride. I started to notice that I was riding that beast fairly well and she sure was very responsive. Still some diving issues when I apply the brakes for a full stop but not always. Next, I found myself on a very long smooth road. Someone had told me that the Wing would drive itself even with no hands....so I just had to try that!:22yikes: Set the cruise and let go.....straight as a beam!! I was taking corners almost on the pegs. Wow!!! After a while I was um, er, enjoying the heck out of that ride!! I may just keep her after all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Now that sounds like a plan!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Administrator
3,916 Posts
Nice! Congrats on thinking about giving it a little time. The Wing is one sweet ride for most of us, but you're coming off a cruiser and it may take a little time to get used to the different feel.

Glen

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just keep practicing stopping and slow speed manuvering, you'll get better and better at it. Happy to hear you had a great ride. :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Congratulations. We're proud of you.

The more you ride it the more you will love it. It is a large, heavy beast and a bit unwieldy at slow speeds and when stopping. Your confidence will continue to grow as your practice increases skill.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
One thing I noticed when I first got my wing: when coming to a stop- just get stopped-don't look around like to see if a car is coming when you stop at a stop sign. On my previous much lighter cruiser, I could look both ways as I was coming to a stop, no problems. After nearly dropping the wing a few times, I started coming to a full stop before I began to look around to see if I could go. I'm not saying don't be aware of your surroundings, just don't let the big girl get off balance. Since you are riding again, I presume your fracture has healed pretty well?

·
Registered
86 Posts
:congrats:

Great to read you are back in the saddle and enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You found a happy place, good for you. :thumbup: Now keep that respect for the machine and relax. It will do its part.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing I noticed when I first got my wing: when coming to a stop- just get stopped-don't look around like to see if a car is coming when you stop at a stop sign. On my previous much lighter cruiser, I could look both ways as I was coming to a stop, no problems. After nearly dropping the wing a few times, I started coming to a full stop before I began to look around to see if I could go. I'm not saying don't be aware of your surroundings, just don't let the big girl get off balance. Since you are riding again, I presume your fracture has healed pretty well?
I am wearing a wrist brace but doing OK as long as I don't over do.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Empty parking lot (church lots do well). Start, stop, start, stop, start, turn, stop, start, stop going left, start, stop going right (much harder - remember - no front brake once you are slowed!) Pull out left, stop, pull out right, stop. Lap after lap. Get bored doing it. Make you much better and more comfortable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congrats on finding your zone. As a reward I've got a grinder with your name on it waiting at my store. You know where I'm at, stop by and lunch is on me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
glad to see you stuck it out, now the fun begins...good on you girl!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I feel the same way when I ride, and I don't pray first.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I felt much the same way you did when I got on my first 'Wing. It took one long day (~750 miles) for that uncertainty to transform into WOW. Like anything else, give it and you a fair chance. Glad you had a great ride! Here's to many, many more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts