GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smitty and I have decided to take on US 191 again this year out of Clifton/Morenci and up through Hannagan Meadow, Pine Top, Show Low and then back to Tucson through Globe.

It will be about a 500 mile loop and in the past has taken between 11 & 12 hours.
We will be stopping in Pine Top or Show Low for lunch and for fuel when needed.

Ride Details:

When: Friday 9 September 2011
What: Ride the fun filled US191 loop
Meeting/Departure Point: Chevron station at Wilmot & I-10 in Tucson of course:)
Departure Time: Kickstands up at 0600 sharp
Distance of Ride: 500 miles +/-

Here is a Google Maps link for the planned route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Wilmot+Rd&daddr=Hannagan+Meadow,+AZ+to:Show+Low,+AZ+to:Globe,+AZ+to:Tucson,+AZ&hl=en&ll=33.123751,-110.061035&spn=3.92837,8.453979&sll=33.124055,-110.002265&sspn=3.92837,8.453979&geocode=FWwM6gEdGHFk-Q%3BFR9BAQIdMsV7-SnJF10-4swnhzGK_crdRkVU4w%3BFYCtCgId9xNx-Sn3ITXNBSkvhzEI1VXu99gPxg%3BFS6O_QEdPohl-Sl_ANnWFZ4phzHVr57EafGghg%3BFS-q6wEdcWVj-Skr7SwLQWXWhjEVxxZNOC3Dcw&mra=ls&vpsrc=0&z=8

There is no need to respond or sign up.
If you are interested in going mark your calendar and show up ready to ride.

Thanks
Randall

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
What is your approximate arrival time in Safford? Friday might be a work day for me, but I might be able to shuffle my schedule around a bit.

- David

·
Registered
125 Posts
The wife and I were going to do the same ride, but
then the fires hit. :frown:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A group of us rode this route last month, the very first day Hwy 191 was re-opened. Actually very little fire damage next to the roadway, when one considers the size of that monster. However, be very careful around flooding areas and watch for the overflow onto the highway, as it will be slick.

Again, any special time frame you will be rolling into Safford?

Thanks,

- David

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time to Safford

I don't know for sure. It will depend on how many riders we get and how fast the group is willing to ride. I will figure out an estimated time and post when I get back home.

Thanks
Randall

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is your approximate arrival time in Safford? Friday might be a work day for me, but I might be able to shuffle my schedule around a bit.

- David
From the looks of things I suspect we will be in Safford around 0800 in the morning. Hope you can make it, it will be fun:)

Randall

·
Registered
268 Posts

- David
David - As Randall posted we should be in Safford around 0800. We have in the past stopped at the Minit Market at the intersection of 191 & 70. It is 117 miles from our departure point. The Minit Market is a good place for a nature break and if we have any trikes riding with us it's a good place for them to fuel up. We will more than likley top off our tanks in Morenci just before we head up to the 191 twisties. Hope you can make it

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Less than 16 days to go.:excited:
I love this road:)

Randall
Randall,

Thanks for the invite but it looks like I will be working that Friday. Sure do miss me some Bear Wallow hamburger, maybe mid-Sept.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Guys. looks like a group of wings from Phoenix will be on your six headed up 191 on the 9th. Leaving a 7:00 am and headed to Morenci then up to Alpine. Don't forget to leave some burgers at Bear Wallow. They're then headed to Silver City NM to walk the "Catwalk" and on back to Safford and home. Ride safe.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randall,

Thanks for the invite but it looks like I will be working that Friday. Sure do miss me some Bear Wallow hamburger, maybe mid-Sept.
Too Bad you have to work. I hope to ride with you again. I had fun last time. I will eat a burger and think of you:)

Randall

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Pulled the trigger - will be riding the following day on my first SS1k attempt....

I'll be thinking about you fellas as I get the bike ready to go that day. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Pulled the trigger - will be riding the following day on my first SS1k attempt....

I'll be thinking about you fellas as I get the bike ready to go that day. :thumbup:

There is still a small chance I'll be there....small but not ruled out yet.

Good luck, just remember you have tons of time. Ride efficiently but stop at the nearest IBA Motel when tired, have a good set down meal, and most of all have fun.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Kickstands up @ 0600 in the morning.
Hope to see some of you there:)

Randall
Would join you if I didn't have to work....chance of the paying gig and the CinC cutting me loose Saturday. If it happens there is a hamburger with my name on it at the Bear Wallow.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Enjoy that burger @ Bear Wallow as I ride completely around you on Saturday...

Randall - you and the rest of the gang have fun on Friday; be sure to shoot some photos & share with the rest of us.

I have a couple of last minute things to get taken care of, get some tunes piled up on the memory sticks, and I'll be ready to rock on Saturday!!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Enjoy that burger @ Bear Wallow as I ride completely around you on Saturday...

Randall - you and the rest of the gang have fun on Friday; be sure to shoot some photos & share with the rest of us.

I have a couple of last minute things to get taken care of, get some tunes piled up on the memory sticks, and I'll be ready to rock on Saturday!!
Ended up going to Cedar City, UT on Saturday with Zackybilly1 and his friend John. I may not get a Bear Wallow hamburger this year. Next weekend will probably be my last chance and I'll bet the CinC has other plans for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts