GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the DTV conversion is going ahead in AZ never mind what Congress does. Here is an update as of 2/5 from a knowledgeable TV source. Bottom line is, unless you are already on cable, satellite or have your box ready you might get to hopping pretty soon.

KPPX 51 has already filed to shut off analog on 2/17.

KTVK 3, KPHO 5, KPAZ 21, KUTP 45 and KASW 61 are already operating their post-transition digital facilities. There's no reason to continue operating the analog facilities after 2/17, unless they want to run the DTV Nightlight.

KSAZ 10 already has their auxiliary transmitter set to go as the digital transmitter on 2/18 and will convert the primary transmitter once analog is shut off. I see no reason for them to delay.

KAET 8, KPNX 12, KNXV 15 and KTVW 33 are returning to their old analog channel, and KTAZ 39 is flash cutting to digital. All have plans to shut off analog on 2/17; I don't see any reason they would delay. Ed note: this means if you have already been using your converter box you will need to rescan on the 17th or the above stations will disappear from your set. Also, 'flash cutting' means an instant conversion from analog to digital. The station will not operate both signals concurrently.

Another benefit to a 2/17 shutoff: unlike most of the country, this is the perfect time of year to be working on the antenna. I pity the poor person who would have to be on the tower in the middle of June. Ed note: except for you guys in Flagstaff and up on the Rim.

Most likely in the state to take advantage of the delay:

• KAJB 54 Calipatria CA (Yuma/El Centro): they only received their initial construction permit last August and have already been issued an STA giving them until 8/17/2009 to construct their digital facilities.
  • KNAZ 2 Flagstaff: their post-transition operation is specified for channel 2, but with the antenna trouobles they'd been having, they filed a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) asking to designate channel 22 as their post-transition channel. Given their problems, it looks as if channel 2 will not be able to handle their post-transition operations.
  • KCFG 9 Flagstaff: they have an application on file to change their post-transitional digital allotment from chan-32 to chan-9, which, combined with an antenna location change, will theoretically allow them to place a rimshot signal into Phoenix. Ed note: a 'rimshot' is an out-of-market signal that may or may not be receivable in the market area. I'm guessing the folks in the northern areas of town might be able to get it but probably not many others. The channel 9 antenna must be located higher than Mingus Mountain (+/- 6000 ft ASL) and be emitting a substantial signal to reach Phoenix. And if it does that it may interfere with KGUN down in Tucson (assuming they remain on channel 9 and don't go UHF).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Go ahead and get it done. The only thing I would like to know is a dollar amount that the power that be in Washington made from all this BS.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be off a bit but thought I saw an auction amount of something around $6 billion for the low-VHF (channels 2-6) band. Some of the band is being reserved for new emergency/first responder communications and the rest leased out to cell phone companies and other bidders.

The original analog-to-digital plan came out of the 9/11 attacks when the various emergency responders couldn't talk to each other. The new frequency allocations mean these can be consolidated into digital trunks and resolve that problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts