GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, just making inquiries at this point. In a few years going to be semi retired and tired of snow every year here in New England. Visited Phoenix a few years ago
and got a small sample of this area but thinking more about the Kingman area. Year round riding certainly appeals to us (wife LOVES warm weather). Housing prices look very reasonable, I don't need a lawn anyways. Gotta have a garage and central a/c of course. Pros and cons? Better place maybe? TIA

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Sierra Vista, Sahuarita/Green Valley if you truly want to stay away from the snow...

Really depends on whether you're interested in the northern part or southern part of the state.

EDIT: Okay, so now that I'm on a real keyboard...

Kingman can get a wee bit of snow once in a while. It is a bit higher in elevation (~3300'), so when those really big storms blow thru, you can deal with cold - like New England-like cold - for a few days. Then it gets nice again.

You also have the region 40 miles south of Kingman...around Lake Havasu City. Fantastic three out of four seasons. It's HOT - like Phoenix hot - there in the summer. Ask @FIRE UP as he moved there a few years ago; he can tell you more about that corner of AZ.

Riding is one thing - but what else might you and your wife be interested in?

There is a 'retirement community' north of me (Search for Saddlebrooke az). Again, a bit higher in elevation...but there's a lot out there.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Our plan is Prescott. We are in the upper midwest and have lived in the snow (and rust) belt for 55 years. Prescott will get some snow in the winter but it is generally gone later that same day. They also don't tend to get the blistering heat that they get in Phoenix.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If rich, I'd like to have a winter home in the Southwest, and a summer home in the Northeast. Alas, I have stuck a happy medium here in Kentucky. Arizona is nice, but before moving there, you might wanna experience July and August there firsthand. The heat can be a bit much, even for locals. I agree with Dave Ritsema, Prescott is a good location, all things considered.

Reactions: dave ritsema

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I live where I live for the work and the family roots that have developed. I often wonder where I would like to live if I could just pick a place.

It would definitely be in the southwest somewhere. I love the deserts.

Nothing ever really jumps out for me and everything has pros and cons. In addition to the great places already mentioned I would consider Sedona - Az, Albuquerque - NM and Santa Fe. - NM

Good luck with your search and change in location.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
We're considering Dewey. Beautiful area and not crowded like Prescott and Prescott Valley. Cooler temps, very little snow, and only an hour from north Phoenix...that is, as long as people behave themselves around the curves south dropping down into the valley on I-17. When that shuts down the only way around it is hours out of the way, unless you have a 4x4.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
<...>In addition to the great places already mentioned I would consider Sedona - Az, Albuquerque - NM and Santa Fe. - NM
Not knowing what the OP is planning on for what the retirement income is going to be - those are all terrifica locations; they do tend to have one thing in common - a higher-than-nominal cost of living.

In my last ride down south of you, I couldn't help but notice the increased population of the Rio Rico area.

Over 40 years ago, my parents bought a lot down there when the development was just getting started. They sold it not long ago to a guy that had the two adjacent lots - and wanted theirs so he'd have a contiguous ~5 acres to build his place.

Honestly, my suggestion to @Elwood might be take another trip or two to see other areas of the state before really making a commitment to this region.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I live where I live for the work and the family roots...
Exactly why we haven't moved to Dewey...yet. Kids are all close by and grandkids are being produced rapidly, just had another set of twins born 2 weeks ago. Nana is very busy these days. :wink2:

Reactions: biglefti

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sierra Vista sits at 4,600 ft but it doesn’t get snow that sticks around past morning (or if at all). June through September might put us at 100 a handful of times but it’s much cooler than in the AZ metros. Population 40k. We ride all year on nearby nice routes. I like it a lot. And the local winger chapter has great folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
674 Posts
... In addition to the great places already mentioned I would consider Sedona - Az, Albuquerque - NM and Santa Fe. - NM
I've done a fair bit of riding in the Albuquerque area over the last few years. I have to say that I've NEVER seen worse drivers (generally) than those in ABQ. Just my opinion, mind you.

Reactions: Big Tom

·
Registered
243 Posts
Moved from Sun Diego this last April to Henderson, Nevada ( 55+ community) ...a lot of building going on here ( Henderson has industry to help with taxes ( Big /Old Titanium Plant, Google is building a new data center here)...strongly suggest you spend 4th of July or Labor Day out here in the southwest to experience the heat ( in August almost every day was over the "normal high"...110+!) ...Looked at Az (Payson ( too far from the airport), Prescott ( too much like Orange County, Ca), but gotta love the lack of income tax in Nevada ( especially if you are lucky enough to have a pension) ...if you're a veteran, Nevada is very friendly to those of you that served in the armed forces. Az has some great motorcycle roads, Nevada not so much ( straight and flat, unless you follow Lake Mead's shore line)...game plan is to do what remoandiris suggests...Summer somewhere else, winter here in Henderson, (aka "lost wages") ...new house has a RV garage ( 1000 sqft, 18ft garage door)..right now, room for two cars or trucks, 4 bikes and my shop tools...only minutes away from major airport. ( kids are in the mid west and bay area of Ca.) Good luck hunting!...it takes hard work to find the right fit ( we looked for 3 years) AND to make the move...hth

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'm in the NE Phoenix burbs. Yes it's hot in the summer. We also have a place in Nashville. I would move to eastern Tennessee, but the boss wants to keep this house. We don't need two houses when we retire in a couple of years. We compromised. We'll keep this house and every 4-5 weeks, in the summer, we'll take a trip to someplace cooler. A lot less expensive than 2 houses. Besides, I like the year round riding, very close to the mountains from here, all the conveniences of living in a big city, but not in it, and close an airport that can get me anywhere in the world easily. No, we're not rich or even close to it, but can do this.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Kingman is a nice area. it can be windy there. Easy access to other areas to get out and about. Prescott and surrounding areas have seen land prices jump a bit more than others in recent decades thanks to Calliefornia folks moving in.. (rumors) LOL Although Prescott area has all the major needed infrastructure including major medical if you worry on that. If you need to get into metro Phoenix, the I-17 is often a mess with traffic as mentioned. Usually once a week it is closed for a crash. Often in the Black Canyon City area since there are long hill climbs & down grades there

We have land outside the Show Low area. A bit higher in altitude and bit colder in the winter. Nice hospital in the area. No cardiac care unit tho.

I have little experience in southern AZ... the problems with the border crossings, drug cartels is something I read about. No direct experience tho. I have 2 friends that had their 4x4 trucks stolen in metro Phoenix area. Both recovered in the lower Pima county area in drug traffic corridors in the desert, abandoned , out of fuel.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
<...> Pros and cons? Better place maybe? TIA
So....

I do have a bit of a follow-up that I mentioned on another (gasp!) forum on a similar discussion.

It's obvious that you'll consider the *other* things you like doing, not just the riding aspect of where to move when the time comes. There are some that realize that there's a lot of AZ that's rather 'backwoods', from some of the places that folks come from.

Many times, that's exactly what's wanted, but for some...

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Sierra Vista, Sahuarita/Green Valley if you truly want to stay away from the snow...

Really depends on whether you're interested in the northern part or southern part of the state.

EDIT: Okay, so now that I'm on a real keyboard...

Kingman can get a wee bit of snow once in a while. It is a bit higher in elevation (~3300'), so when those really big storms blow thru, you can deal with cold - like New England-like cold - for a few days. Then it gets nice again.

You also have the region 40 miles south of Kingman...around Lake Havasu City. Fantastic three out of four seasons. It's HOT - like Phoenix hot - there in the summer. Ask @FIRE UP as he moved there a few years ago; he can tell you more about that corner of AZ.

Riding is one thing - but what else might you and your wife be interested in?

There is a 'retirement community' north of me (Search for Saddlebrooke az). Again, a bit higher in elevation...but there's a lot out there.
Thanks for the name-drop Kwthom,
Yep, we moved to Lake Havasu City AZ just over 4.5 years ago, from San Diego CA. Unlike the OP on here, we didn't have to deal with the snow factor living in San Diego. All we had to deal with was, overcrowding, over pricing, over regulating, over worked, UNDER PAID, and a whole lot more. So, after 50 years, born and raised there, it was time to "fly the coop".

The wife was not too keen on leaving the kids (one 32 and one 26, both married and living their life) and, also leaving her mom. But, mom is totally self-sufficient and still cruises all over the place with her "red-hat ladies". So, when it came time to THINK about moving, we took a look at a few places we'd visited in former vacations etc. Montrose CO was good for me but, too cold for her. Sparks NV (right next door to Reno) was also good for me but, again, too cold for her. Texas, not sure just where since we never made it there to look around due to a motorhome breakdown at or near that rot-gut town of El Paso.

So, since we'd been Colorado river boating as vacations for most of our life, we thought we'd take a look at Lake Havasu City. Well, again, she's quite a bit more, how to say this, of a "Home body" for CA than I was but, in the end, after about three, WORLD WAR III knock-down-drag-out arguments, I won. She said she'd move to Havasu. I went out and started the truck.

But, seriously, we've been here now for just over 4.5 years and we love it. Yep, without a doubt, it gets hot in the extreme part of the summer. But, we've got a brand new home, one that WE'D NEVER, EVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD IN COMMI-FORMIA! So, that means the best of A/C and insulation. We've installed a nice wall around the house and, a new pool with a nice travertine tiled and fake grass back yard, all the way around the pool. We've purchased a used, nice deck boat to go out and play in the big pond.

So, now that we've been here for that long of time, she's finally settled down to a WAAAAAAAAAY NICER LIFESTYLE due to much improved financial circumstances over our cost of living in CA. We've met a ton of new and friendly folks over here. We've kind-a been used to most of this type of heat for most of our life since we'd venture over to the river to play quite often in our younger-working years. The heat, for the most part, is considerably dryer than most other situations, especially back east and south-east. But, we do have our normal monsoon season which, does increase the humidity for oh, about a month or so but, tolerable.

The kids do visit us from time to time and so does her mom. And, vice versa, we zoom over to San Diego to visit them. But, living such a nice, relaxed and more calm atmosphere over here, once I enter CA, I can't wait to get out of it. But, I'll tolerate it if it makes her happy. And you know what they say about a "Happy wife"....

As for recommending this town/area. Well, first off, if anyone, especially a Wing rider from a back easy area, where riding in very, very nice areas/mountains/roads/GREEN/ and more, you're gonna be in the desert folks, no doubt about that. We live in a 450' elevation folks. Not a whole lot of GREEN around here. If I had to guess, I'd say in all the 50,000 or more residences out here, there might be, I say MIGHT BE, maybe a dozen lawns. Yep, there's a couple of golf courses but, they're not in that good of shape. About 98.9% of the residences here decorate their landscape with ROCK. Some, use various colored rock for added appearance. Some, just plain rock. The really, really good part about that: Wake up in the morning and, look outside, YARD WORK'S DONE!!!!!!! And, that means we (I) get to do what I WANT to do, not what I HAVE to do, each and every day.

As for riding, well, again, we're in a desert. That doesn't mean there's ZERO riding. It just means you get creative. As mentioned, Kingman is a bit higher than us. It hovers close to the 3,300' level. So, that means it's a bit cooler in the whole year round thing. And, there's quite a few more hills and roads there too. So, we have lots of riding folks out here, (mostly Harley riders) that zoom up to Kingman and related areas for breakfast or lunch and zoom back. Makes for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day of goofing around on the bike.

As for south and to the east of us. Well, I wouldn't live in the Phoenix area if you paid me to. It's waaaaaaaaaaaay too crowded and, since we get our TV news from that area, there's quite a bit of crime in the Phoenix and surrounding areas. They constantly have single digit speed in the morning commute on their freeways. We've only been to Phoenix once since we've lived in AZ and, that was to purchase a Jeep from a dealer there.

By the way, speaking of purchasing vehicles, here in AZ, when you purchase a vehicle/motorcycle/motorhome/spaceship/submarine etc. from a private party, you pay NO SALES TAX!!!!!! But, when you purchase from any form of a dealer, you do pay the sales tax. Here in Mohave County, we have NO SMOG RULES or no annual smog checks on our vehicles. That includes even at a sale between folks. Our cost of living is lower than CA for about 98% of life. So far, the only cost we've encountered that was higher, was our vehicle registration. The reason for that is, they (AZ) bases it's DMV fees on a totally different system than CA which stems from the MSRP of a vehicle and, they have a formula which steps down each each year for said vehicle registrations. Eventually, we've beaten CA 'cause, CA's fees have contently gone UP!

So, do I recommend this desert oasis? Well, again, we've adapted to the seasonal heat without any issues. The rest of the time, we put up with snow birds. We'll take that, as opposed to where we came from, IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!
Scott

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
@FIRE UP, if I didn't already live in AZ you would have ME sold!

On the subject of riding, it's not too far to the great back roads California has to offer, especially from where you are. Of course, going out to ride the roads of my youth is pretty much the ONLY reason I ever want to go back there. Well, that, and to take the grandkids to Dizzyland. :wink2:

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
480 Posts
We have found that the Sierra Vista area has a lot to offer. You are near Tucson only about 50 miles away that gives you all the things that you look for in a big city. If you are retired military you have Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista and DM in Tucson, that gives you the benefits of your military retirement. You also have some great roads for motorcycling Hwy 83 and 191 up towards Safford, Silver City and Morenci. It does get hot in the summer and cold in the winter but if you start riding early in the summer and late morning in the winter the weather is not bad.
We moved to Douglas AZ from Seattle, so it was a drastic change for us, that was 21 years ago.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
We have found that the Sierra Vista area has a lot to offer. You are near Tucson only about 50 miles away that gives you all the things that you look for in a big city. If you are retired military you have Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista and DM in Tucson, that gives you the benefits of your military retirement. You also have some great roads for motorcycling Hwy 83 and 191 up towards Safford, Silver City and Morenci. It does get hot in the summer and cold in the winter but if you start riding early in the summer and late morning in the winter the weather is not bad.
We moved to Douglas AZ from Seattle, so it was a drastic change for us, that was 21 years ago.
Wow,
From Washington to Douglas AZ, that's a serious climate, ergonomic and mental change aint it? We just recently camped in Benson. We didn't have the bike with us on this trip but, we had the Jeep instead. We did the Kartchner Caverns tour one day, Tombstone the next and Bisby the next. Tombstone was OK, get it, the "OK" corral, ha ha. Lots of tourist stuff but, I'm a fan of the Earps, McClowrys, Doc Holiday etc. I even hung out in Boot Hill for a bit.

Now Bisby, well, I don't know about you but, I think Bisby went to about 1960 and just QUIT! What a different place!! We never made it to Douglas. We, as in our family and my wifes sisters family and relations, are scheduled to all camp at the karchner State Campground next Thanksgiving. We really enjoyed the tour.
Scott

Reactions: Boodad
1 - 20 of 30 Posts