GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sierra Vista sits at 4,600 ft but it doesn’t get snow that sticks around past morning (or if at all). June through September might put us at 100 a handful of times but it’s much cooler than in the AZ metros. Population 40k. We ride all year on nearby nice routes. I like it a lot. And the local winger chapter has great folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I lived there a year, great place, and nice ride to tombstone from Sierra Vista.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I'll toss an update to this discussion....

Here in ¡Baja Arizona!, we've had a short amount of what you'd call winter elsewhere.

For the month of January, it's been wet, but close to normal - and temperatures are also typical for January - high 30's for lows, and mid-60's for highs.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/monthdisp.php?stn=KTUS&year=2019&mon=1&wfo=twc&p=temperature

December was a bit wetter than normal...

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/monthdisp.php?stn=KTUS&year=2018&mon=12&wfo=twc&p=temperature

Overall? Nice!

·
Registered
435 Posts
We moved down here to Payson, AZ after living our whole life in NoDak. Had many surgeries so the winters were tearing me up. Came down here one winter for a few weeks and decided this is where we will move too. We are up 5,000' here in Payson so we are roughly 20 degrees cooler than the "valley" as the locals call Phoenix area.
Only around 15,000 people here so not crowded and very friendly!
It will hit 100 degrees here for a few days in the summer but mostly 80-90 degrees.
When we get snow it will stay from a couple hours to 3-5 days depending on the temps.

Reactions: david vaughn

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Since this got cycled back around...

<...>In addition to the great places already mentioned I would consider Sedona - Az, Albuquerque - NM and Santa Fe. - NM
All three of those have $$$ issues.

Well, maybe not so much Abq, but the other two - not many 'poor retirees' are living in those communities that *I* see. :mrgreen:

I mean, for the OP - and anyone else that's reading the thread, you can always jump on a plane and visit any of these communities for a week or so and look.

Of course, a heavy amount of homework done in advance would be highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Something which has finally come to fruition in Payson AZ, is a guaranteed water delivery system for well over 100 years. Several years ago, Town leaders created an urban lake system which brings much needed water to recharge our aquifers every day.

We will now receive up to 3000 acre feet of water annually from a high mountain lake for generations to come. While many communities are suffering from water shortages, Payson is no longer under the threat of water shortages for the long term future. Currently, there are 15K living in our city limits, with another 20K+ in nearby communities. Many of those communities will also benefit from this water delivery system.

With the new water delivery, estimates are that Payson will now sustain a population around 30K with ease.

BTW BrokenBackJack, welcome home! What's your favorite local restaurant? We've been here since 1981 and have much to share!

- David

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Since this got cycled back around...

All three of those have $$$ issues.

Well, maybe not so much Abq, but the other two - not many 'poor retirees' are living in those communities that *I* see. :mrgreen:

I mean, for the OP - and anyone else that's reading the thread, you can always jump on a plane and visit any of these communities for a week or so and look.

Of course, a heavy amount of homework done in advance would be highly recommended.

This thread is part of the homework I have been doing. Plane trip is in the research stage right now, could be as early as next spring.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I would look in the higher elevations in AZ. Show-Low, PineTop and areas like that. We have a place in Tucson and it gets pretty hot to just go for a ride. The Phoenix area is even hotter. Yuma and Lake Havasu are hotter yet. Trust me when I say this - it gets pretty hot to ride in the summer, unless you go to higher elevations. I would also say that Tucson has limited riding. South and west is pretty limited due to lack of roads. East is not much better. I am not saying that there is not good riding - just limited roads.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Except for a couple of rides to work, my bike's been in the garage all summer. Guess I'm liking the air conditioning in my truck. It was 101 today. Heading to San Diego in week for some camping by the ocean.

BTW you don't need a permit to CCW in AZ.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
This thread is part of the homework I have been doing. Plane trip is in the research stage right now, could be as early as next spring.
We've been In Payson AZ since 1981. We are only 90 minutes from Mesa, Phoenix and Glendale. A divided four lane highway will get you there pretty quickly. Our elevation is 5000' and enjoy 4 bountiful seasons each year. While we do receive snow, it usually melts away within days after the storm has passed.

Our topography has us sitting in the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine trees in the world. We are known as the Gateway to the Rim. The Mogollon Rim is a vertical stone escarpment rising 1500+ feet from the Tonto National Forest floor, which has many high alpine lakes brimming with multiple species of trout, bass, crappie and sunfish.

Not to forget our wildlife includes elk, deer, lion, bear, javelina, and the usual littering of smaller game animals and fowl.

Unfortunately, we do have mosquitoes...

- David

21 - 30 of 30 Posts