GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just triked my 08 Wing and am getting conflicting information on the registration requirements for a trike. For those of you that own trikes in AZ does your registration reflect motorcycle, trike, or a reconstruction?

Thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
My wife’s 2010 HD factory Street Glide Trike has “MC” as body style on the registration.

This is an interesting question because I know when she took a “trike” riding class, they endorsed her drivers license for “trike” only and not a motorcycle when she finished. This is new in Az and it didn’t used to be that way. So now I suspect they are identifying trikes as a separate vehicle type to facilitate enforcing the new category of license endorsement.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the trike endorsement came from the fact that she took a "trike" class. I have had a motorcycle endorsement for years and this morning when I asked the folks at DMV if I needed a trike endorsement they said no need to change/update. Then we started talking about anything different needed on the bike registration and they said I would have to get a new vehicle inspection and register it as a reconstruction. It was a small rural office with a staff of three and it felt like they were guessing. That scared me since once its changed if the guess was in error its right at impossible to get it corrected. I stopped the registration process and they gave me a phone number at DMV to call. So far they do not want to answer the phone.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I know you are asking about Arizona but in Illinois, it is supposed to be registered as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle". I had mine converted to a trike and my Illinois Title now lists 2 VIN numbers. 1 for the original GL1800 and 1 for the trike.

This is taken from Illinois Secretary of State site:

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/title_and_registration/apply_custom_rod.html

“Specially Constructed Vehicle” is defined in the Illinois Vehicle Code as a vehicle of a type required to be registered that has been materially altered from its original construction by the removal, addition or substitution of essential parts; or was not originally constructed under a distinctive name by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles.

“Essential Parts” is defined as all integral and body parts of a vehicle, the removal, alteration or substitution of which would tend to conceal the identity of the vehicle or substantially alter its appearance, model, type or mode of operation.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Honda doesn't make trikes so the registration is different for each state I think.

Harley sells a factory trike so they are treated different.

Personal experience, Triked my 08 GL1800 Goldwing and they wanted to license mine as a rebuilt vehicle here in Ky..
Told them no way and kept riding it licensed as a bike but added $15,000 in accessories insurance on it.

Truck hit it and totaled it and my insurance paid me $26,000 for it and I let them have it.

Barney

·
Registered
902 Posts
You are probably correct that each state does it differently. As far as insurance, I have State Farm and all I had to do was notify them that I had my bike converted to a trike. My agent had to add an endorsement IIRC that it had the conversion. Surprisingly my premium stayed the same. And yes I have checked with my agent to ensure I am fully covered. He even featured me on his facebook page after asking me to bring it by the office because he was curious to see it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Registration

Wife and I are getting closer to making a move out of Illinois and thinking of Az or Cal to relocate in. When we get close to deciding I plan on contacting whichever state as to what I need to do as far as my trike. Not sure where we’ll land when we move but at least I’ll have an idea what to expect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We moved to AZ last fall from NoDak and when i went in to do my change over on our 2010 Goldwing CSC Trike they put it as (MC) motorcycle as did NoDak. Something was mentioned about reconstructed or something like that and i said NO put it as (MC) motorcycle because i didn't want someone thinking it was wrecked at one time and rebuilt or reconstructed if & when we decide to sell it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I lived in AZ for many years and always had trikes down there. The state always regarded it as a motorcycle as far as registration goes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Works for me, thanks folks. I did not want to change the registration/title. Just as a final check I am going to hop in my cage and track down a DPS officer and run the question by him.

Thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also have had issues with the DMV either not knowing or won't tell you a straight story. Incompetence comes to mind.

Register it as a MC and have the accessory insurance to cover the trike part.
Beside in most states where you have a sales tax they are sure to whack you for the extra value of the accessory (every year) whether you converted it after you bought it or bought it that way. Total tax is based on total value each year.

"Let sleeping dogs lie" is the way to go. especially when you can't get a consistent or straight answer from the state.
That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is the 2nd.Trike I registered in Arizona and both just said "MC".

I think that the Trike endorsement on the drivers license is a completely unrelated issue having to do with the riders skill. I guess the state assumes that if you can handle two wheels, you can handle a Trike, but not necessarily vice versa, but these are the same Einstein’s that removed all the chairs and now make you stand in line for 3+ hours!
Jim

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
When I converted my Goldwing to a trike last year, I had no problems with my insurance company covering it.. BUT WHAT I DID DO IS SEND my insurance company, a copy of my receipt, and exactly what I paid, to have my "Blacky" converted to 3... So now there will be no question, what I actually paid to have it "triked'... I honestly don't know if my insurance fee when up or not because it was triked, cause I just pay what ever it is for the year, and enjoy life.....

Ronnie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts