GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are more and more cage drivers paying less and less attention to their driving, and more attention to their Cell Phones.

I have watched with horror as the lady gets in her van, grabs her cell phone and puts it to her ear, then starts her vehicle and backs out to leave. The cage just simply will not run without the cell phone to the ear.

"I didn't see it" is the stock answer as to why they hit you bike or trailer. What they meant was "I didn't look".

I had a guy walk around my trailer to get in First Day Signs door, find his order was not ready, probably left in disgust, walked around my trailer again to get in his Suburban with the NHRA badge in his trailer hitch receiver, Backed out about 6 feet and hit my trailer with his foot hard on the accelerator.

He said "your trailer is not very tall", to which I said, "it is taller than my grand daughter and she would have been dead.

It is hard to know what to do about the numb cage drivers that are just everywhere.

I have had success lately with adopting a more careful parking regimine which I decided to put in graphic form to see if it would help our friends that pull trailers.

Another item that has been more successful than I at first thought it would is that I installed one of Lewis' multi function spoiler light on the bike along with his spoiler brake light programmed pulser, and put a programmed pulser in the trailer brake light circuit which in the Tailwind is relay operated as are all the lights in the trailer.

I couple that with stopping a car length back from the car ahead of me, and the driver behind me stops an equal distance back from me, at least 90% or the time.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Parking Idea

Tom
I am parked in a hotel parking area that required an 11 story circular drive up - drive down to follow on Monday. The bike and the Tailwind stick out of every parking spot slightly. I found a spot on the end with a concrete post on the right side and I parked the bike with a slight angle across the space that gives me the most protection available. To hit the rig would require hitting a concrete post of the car next to it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tom
I am parked in a hotel parking area that required an 11 story circular drive up - drive down to follow on Monday. The bike and the Tailwind stick out of every parking spot slightly. I found a spot on the end with a concrete post on the right side and I parked the bike with a slight angle across the space that gives me the most protection available. To hit the rig would require hitting a concrete post of the car next to it.
Like to see a pic of that one...:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I would like to see a photo too.

Tom

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Parking Idea

I will go up and take a picture in the morning and try to get a movie of the turn signals etc. and how they work. Will post it later tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Parking is one of the disadvantages with a two wheel trailer.....especally in motel parking lots. I'm aways afraid of someone hitting the trailer while pulling out of a parking space and I go out of my way to find a suitable spot, trying to find a spot next to the grassy curb to offer some protection on at least one side of the rig. I'm always afraid to take up two parking spots out of the fear some jerk will take offense and do something to my bike like pushing it over or something. I never had to worry about these things with my Uni-Go because the whole rig was much shorter and compact. The parking diagram that Tom posted sure gives some thought to parking....thanks for posting

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
never enough concrete where you need it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Tom,
Your drawing is SO WELL DONE!!! It deserves to be in an instruction manual such as "Motorcycle Trailering 101" by Thomas Finch (better run the title by Janet). I know you are just sitting idly around looking for things to help keep busy....;-) . Actually, if someone just linked many of your posts on this forum, an encyclopedia of information would be readily available.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice post Tom. I always new I was at risk in a parking lot but never gave the solution much thought, except to back into my spot and risk getting hit from the rear. After reviewing your example I will gladly walk a little further to get the ideal spot with less risk. Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Whenever possible, I try to back my trailer into a curb. That way the bike sticks up higher and is easier to see in the isle side of the parking lot.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks Tom. Some very good info for 'defensive parking' and I'm sure going to keep it in mind.

I'd personally be hesitant to use the options that involve taking up more than a single parking space though, unless I was in a virtually empty parking lot.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks Tom. Some very good info for 'defensive parking' and I'm sure going to keep it in mind.
So we all do the "defensive driving" every time we go out on the road. It's too bad we have gotten to the point where "idiots rule," and we have to go into "defensive parking" mode.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I park as far away from others as possible regardless of what I am on the bike or in a car. I do not understand why some one will wait a few minutes for a spot next to the store when the far side of the parking lot is a minute walk away.

Lazy people msybe :shrug:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Wife and I are beginning to consider a trailer. I'm curious when I read a post like this... do any of you attach an flexible rod and flag to your trailer... like they do on bicycles... to make your trailer more visible? May sound goofy but....

·
Registered
597 Posts
ya know dkwinger, I have been thinking that same thing myself. They might have to be in sockets so that you can take them out while traveling and then put them in when parked. I've also been concidering those red cones like utility truck drivers put out when they park. just a thought.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whenever possible, I try to back my trailer into a curb. That way the bike sticks up higher and is easier to see in the isle side of the parking lot.
:agree::agree:
I will park as far away from the entrance of the building as I can, less traffic there, and I can always use the exercise!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I agree with the other responders. GREAT information.
Using logic, we could all get there, but at times, that is just thinking too hard.
The picture helps lock it into memory better than words do.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the solutions to a safety issue.

Marc

·
Registered
555 Posts
Great info on with this thread. I never gave parking much consideration. My wife always comments on my backing into stalls. I tell her its for the quick getaway. :cool: Alberta implemented the Distracted Driver law on Sept 01. While driving no cell phones(hands free okay), no texting, no operating of electronic devices such as GPS etc, no eating, and no drinking while driving. Since the law has been implemented A guy was charged with eating a bowl of soup while driving. There are still some who cannot stop these habits but it is better than it was.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts