GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had my son and his friend out for a little training lessen. Both recently got bikes and both just got their leaners permits. My son's 26 and just got a real nice 2001 DRZ400 Suzuki and his friend is 24 and he just picked up a 2007 Sportster. So I took them out on a nice 160 mile loop and they did well for there first long riding excursion. Both were complaning about their sore butts when we finished:22yikes:, but I wasn't.:thumbup:

8100 miles on my new1800 since I got her in March. Not bad for living in the Northeast.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
81000 miles on my new1800 since I got her in March. Not bad for living in the Northeast.

WOW, do you mean 8100 miles? :shrug:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Congrats bro on the nice day out with family and friends on the road.

Sportster is a harsh ride for anyone much less a newb.

Miles don't mean dick. It's how you enjoy your miles that matters. High miles feeds egos and not much else..

Kudos for a good day out with the new riders.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Miles don't mean dick. It's how you enjoy your miles that matters. High miles feeds egos and not much else.QUOTE]

I believe that would be "in your opinion".

So, what kind of issues does a person have, if they ride a lot of miles and enjoys the crap out of all of them? Say, 400 miles of twisties in a day or a thousand on the slab?

Isn't it possible for a person to ride a ton of miles and also enjoy them?

At least they're riding.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Training New Riders

You are very kind to take those new riders under your Wing. Have you considered having them watch "Learn to Ride the Easy Way" by "Ride Like a Pro" creator Jerry Palladino? I enjoyed his "RLAP 5" and "RLAP On the Dragon" videos.

Granted, parking lots skills are not exactly the same as higher speed road riding skills, but they will use those low speed skills on every single ride, and having the bike under control stopping and going gives a HUGE confidence boost.

Next, you can all go to the California Superbike School together. :twisted:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I enjoy my ride whether it's 16 miles round trip to choir practice and church on Sunday, or if I'm going to GA, NC, TN to ride with friends putting on 100s of miles!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: on spending time with new riders and helping them to become better!:thumbup:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Fact is, in a couple of weeks them younguns will be showing you how to ride a wheelie for 5 miles while sitting on the handle bars facing backwards......on a busy road........at night.........blindfolded! Well maybe not but it could happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts