GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Goldwing need to replace back brakes is it absolutely necessary to remove rear wheel or can I unbolt the wheel push it sideways enough to get to the back brakes.or if I lay the bike on its side and remove back wheel can I get to the brakes and replace pads.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
No need to remove wheel, or lay it down to change brake pads..

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
No need to remove the wheel or lay it on it's side. This is the way I do it.

First, remove the pin and let the old pads fall out.

Take a small toothbrush with some Simple Green, Brake Cleaner, White Vinegar, whatever cleaner you like best and clean the pistons (there are three) good.

Put the old pads back in without the pin and use them a spacers to squeeze the pistons back into the caliper. Do this by placing a large, flat-head screw driver in between the rotor and the old pad and GENTLY twist the screwdriver. (I actually cover the end of the screwdriver with a rag to help prevent damaging the rotor.) This will push the pistons back into the caliper. Be sure to remove some brake fluid from both the front and rear reservoirs before hand since pressing the pistons back will cause the fluid level to rise. NOTE: The top piston is a PITA to get back in. Take your time. Don't rush and damage your rotor.

Clean the pin and smear a little "brake grease" on the pin (not a lot) and install the new pads.

The whole process should take less than 20-30 minutes.

Also...before you go ride, pump the front and rear brakes to re-seat the pads. Then check your fluid levels in the reservoirs.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
If you choose vinegar, dilute it in detergent water. I do not know how much to dilute, but it takes very little to clean and a little more may pit the metal. I use Windex with Vinegar and that way someone else did the dilution. Brakes parts cleaner works well, if you can stand the stuff.

prs

·
Registered
827 Posts
Am I right in thinking you clean the pistons while they are still in the caliper? You don't remove them to clean them do you? I would think that would cause you to have to bleed the system again?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Am I right in thinking you clean the pistons while they are still in the caliper? You don't remove them to clean them do you? I would think that would cause you to have to bleed the system again?

You're right. When the old pads wear out, the pistons come out of the caliper about a half inch. While they're out, before you push them back in, you should clean them.

·
IronMan
17,472 Posts
:roll::roll: was asking about bleeding . shouldnt have to bleed long as you dont let pistons come all the way out . NOTICE WAS POSTED QUIETLY :bow::bow:;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts