GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a disconcerting thing happen over the weekend. We were riding our 2006 Confort/Audio and was returning from a short 250 mile trip. We got to within a mile of the home when the back end of the bike started to wobble just a little. It felt like the back tire was real low on air. We took it easy for that last mile and made it home safely. I then checked the back tire and the air pressure was still at 42 psi. The tire itself felt stable, all lug bolts still firmly attached and no wobble in the tire with the bike on its center stand. I did notice that the tire and the rim was extremly hot. And there was a slight rubbing noise (seemed to be the rear disc brakes) as I rotated the tire. I let the bike sit for awhile and checked the ride once again. It still feels like the rear tire is low on air but I'm certain that's not the case. Any ideas? :shrug:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If tire had 42 Lbs in it when hot, it was low.
Check it when it's cold.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno, is your tire gauge accurate??
No bubbles in the tire?

Wiggle the wheel, rear drive solid?

Did the rear shock bolt shear??

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sometimes a problem at one end can show up, or feel like it comes from the other end. I'd go push & pull & wiggle all the front end components, too. And check tire pressure on the front.
The tire & rim being hot is normal. A few years ago at Wing Ding I got weighed. (there's a joke there, but I'll stay away for now..) I don' remember the exact number right now, but we were well over 900 lbs on the rear wheel, and that was without luggage etc, just the 2 of us, gear, & the normal saddlebag & trunk clutter. that is right up at the rated limit for most rear tires. I had E-3s on, and I think they rate at about 990. Hot day, highway speed, full load, you get hot tires.

Have you run the tire around and examined all the tread? It kind of sounds like a bubble in the tread, or a delaminatioin. How's your tread looking?

Let us know what you find, and maybe someone will have more advice..

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would put it on the center stand and rotate the wheel by hand. Inspect the tire and make sure there aren't any defects in the tire that you may not have seen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it would seem the tire was indeed on the low side. It was at 30 psi today. Filled it back up to 41-42 and all is right once more. Apparently there is a slow leak in the tire somewhere. Any ideas on how to fix this without taking the tire off?

I'm just happy it's nothing more serious than air pressure!:roll:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Either you have not checked the tire pressure for 6 months, or you do have an "issue". Look close and 12x ! Sometimes small things are hard to notice, especially with the wheel in place. Could be valve stem too?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Spray some soapy water around the tire,tire bead,and valve stem/core, and see where the leak is,and what type of damage there is to the tire.
If it ran low enough to be wobbly,I would have it taken off and inspected internally.JMO

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well, it would seem the tire was indeed on the low side. It was at 30 psi today. Filled it back up to 41-42 and all is right once more. Apparently there is a slow leak in the tire somewhere. Any ideas on how to fix this without taking the tire off?

I'm just happy it's nothing more serious than air pressure!:roll:
Yes, mix up soapy water and spray the entire tire, wheel rim and valve stem. Where the leak is you will see soap bubbles.

Could be the tire, bead, or valve stem.

If tire and in the tread area and if you can see a little nail or screw, sometimes you can plug them, sometimes not, just depends.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Don't forget to wiggle the valve stem around while the soapy water is on it.Check the core too. They can be tough to spot a leak in.

Best Wishes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts