GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somethings never change, and the Army is one!

Met up with a riding partner today and went up to the Chili Cookoff at Indiantown Gap under overcast skies and a raw west wind, hoping that we would beat the rain in the forecast. We got there early, as I still had to find the building. I had some general directions to a building known as 4-114 in Army talk, which is Area 4, Bldg 114. Found a 115 & some people around, but they were not Army personnel but knew that there were some troops in the next building. So, I stopped, went in only to find that no one in uniform knew about the event! Some had heard about it, but did not know the location.

OK, back to the PX we went, as that's where I saw the flyer over one month ago. This time I asked the civilians who had the flyers & they found out! Turns out 4 - 114 was incorrect! The event was at Building 8 - 80! So, reverse route to Area 8, and there it was! Bldg 80. Still, we rode up to the doors where some activity was going on to confirm: Yes, right inside.

Once in the right place, we paid our 'eating fees', received some sampling cups, spoons and napkins, then found a table. We started in order, clockwise around the room tasting all the various recipes and noting the booth decorations. There was even white chili - some made with chicken, and a very good one made with turkey. It took us about 2 hours of sampling, after which we were to vote for the best chili and the best decorated booth. During the voting, I took a sample of the chili to the nice lady in the PX, then went back. I missed the winner, but was able to get a picture of the people who put on the event. In talking with them, I suggested that if they held a weekend event in nice weather with food, many motorcyclists might attend.

The USO raised $850 to support our troops. Much more is needed for the summer camps that are done for the children of families, some of which are deployed overseas. I discovered that many of the children have emotional problems, and that the base does not have the money to help everyone. In fact, they can only afford to help about half of the families.

I'd like to change that, and ask for any help to organize a poker run for some weekend in May of 2007. I'd like to see all the children get help and be able to attend the summer camp. Anyone with info or ideas - please email me. If anyone else lives near Indiantown Gap and either wants to help or knows of dealers, MC groups, businesses, etc. that I may contact for help, please let me know. Helping the children of our military sounds like a great idea for a charity ride.

I'll have some pictures & a story on my website shortly.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Glad you had a good time for a good cause. There is a Chili Cookoff in St. Louis for the Kidney Foundation every year.

A GW poker run sounds like fun. A possible Cats Cade activity?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts