GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share a little of my recent journey to the JD Distillery in TN, via Nashville, then on to the Dragon, and through Dolly’s place. The following links will prove that I did review all the GPS coordinates and maps that were sent to me. I must admit that while the county is dry, many of the barrels (that were within reach) were not. Seems the “special” tour my wife and I got (and who said being in a chair was a bad thing) took us into a barrel house that had a few leaky ones. Well, wanting to save a catastrophe from happening, I tried to put my finger into as many of these leaks as possible. Problem was, I like my hands dry when pushing my chair, so I often felt the need to lick them. 8) Between that, and our tour guide opening and fanning the aroma from the charcoal filtration vats, well, good thing my wife wanted to shop and walk around town a bit. I used the time wisely to “gather my thoughts.” :shock:

http://www.jackdaniels.com/jdpics/picture.asp?id=49078

Had the chance to chat briefly with Yellow Wolf. What a nice guy and great rider. Coming up to the area from the south, coupled with riding the Gap itself, in addition to a “little” detour, I thought I would need shoulder replacement by the end of the day. Driving over from Lynchburg, we made our way along the Cherohala Skyway. It was highly suggested that we take in the detour to see the Bald River Falls, which we did. What a view. Problem was, not wanting to double back the 5+ miles to the main drag, and seeing that the GPS showed that the road went through, my wife and I (ok, maybe it was just me) decided to go for it. Well, I can tell you that the Gap is nothing compared to “River Road” which turned out to be 12 miles of single lane gravel road up the side of the mountain. The EMs that I stopped once I got to the top were kind enough to remove my wife’s nails from my shoulders, give me something for the ringing in my ears from those regular thuds I felt on my helmet, and assisted with getting her breathing back to normal. They assured me that the welts would go away in a few days.

Riding Deals Gap was a blast! I believe I only reduced road surface to two wheels once, ok, maybe twice. Need to see if having 5 wheels off the road at once is some sort of record. Had fun catching up with and staying behind a few riders. Give you two wheelers credit.

1800+ miles from start to finish and it was a great ride. Saw a great many Goldwings out on the road and sure hope that I was waving to many of you. Took a shot at this new fangled photo thing that I downloaded and posted a few photos of the trip if anyone is interested.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/bW2y ... 1d647286cb

Wheels

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great Photo's and Video! I've been down to TN three times and missed the Falls! Looks like I gotta get down there again next year and do some sight seeing!

Happy Trails

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Great post, Wheels..........

Looks like you made it to the bottom of the Fontana Dam, too.

You still amaze me! What an enjoyable trip for the 2 of you.

See you at the BBQ??

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Awesome pics Wheels. :wink:
Looks like y'all had much fun and that's what it's all about, I keep tellin' my wife we need to do that kinda trip before Fall but I'm loosin'. :roll:

I look forward to seein' more of y'all adventures in the near future. 8)

:flg:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Looks like you two had a great time. I asked Yellow Wolf for some pointers and he said to pull over to the right and let the riders pass. :?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great Pictures Wheels, really enjoyed the slide show. I'm going there in a few weeks with my wife and two sons (vtx riders) and am really looking forward to the trip. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks for posting, Wheels. Looks like you and the Mrs had a great time.

Dep

1 - 10 of 10 Posts