GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home, safe and relatively dry for the most part.

Once again, the Garmin 376c paid for itself. I left Harrison about 6am as a huge rain cell moved in from the west, covering most of Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas. I was able to watch where the worst of it was and route myself around it. I had to change my route in-flight three times, but in the end, I stayed almost totally dry all the way home. I rode in some mist for the last 20 miles or so, and got a real light shower outside of Russelville for about 20 minutes, but that was it. I actually even broke out into the sun in Mena around 10:30am.

Hope the rest of you made it home ok. That was one HUGE rain cell that moved into Arkansas. Glad I left when I did. I had to navigate hwy 7 in the dark but the sun came up around 7am so I only rode in the dark for about an hour. That extra hour allowed me to ride south and down around the bottom of the cell before it moved east.

I won't travel without this GPS anymore. I don't know how I rode all those years without being able to look down and see the radar image.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, Randy Brown did an excellent job setting up this event.
The weather was perfect both Friday and Saturday and the roads in the area are awesome.

The free bike wash was also a nich touch.
I got a photo of Sheila getting her bike cleaned for free while she waited.

A moment of silence was observed in memory of Ron Melton before the door prizes where drawn. It felt like something was missing without him there this year.

The door prizes were spectacular. I missed winning the new 07 Wing by only one ticket number.
I forget the name of the guy who got it, I think he was from Missouri. :a13:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You have to watch Sheila,she trys to get people to wash her wing alot...LOL :wink:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey Fred
Real glad you made it home safely(hopefully you didn't run in to another group of crotch rockets!)
It was great to meet you and the other folks that were in the parking lot Friday afternoon. Rick(05 yellow) and I had many roads to ride and got home at 3:00pm this afternoon.
Hope everyone had a great time and made it home safely!!
Ben(02 Pearl Orange)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks Fred!! Now the people who know me will give me crap about not cleaning my own bike. Keep in mind also that there is a nice shiny spot on the swingarm that I did not create.
Just to be clear, I only did the windshield and only the bugs that had made residence within the last 4 months. The rest of them where really on there!!

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home safe and mostly dry. I had a safe ride today but it was anything but dry. I rode some and visited with family.
They are calling for 2 inches of rain here tomorrow :(

Thanks for all your hard work on my bike.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
great to hear everyone is making it home safe, we left Harrison at 7 am today, took mostly interstates, got home at 10 PM tonite, 870 smiles, stayed dry all the way

the Harrison gathering was great ! those Arkansas roads are fantastic ! MCMom loves to do u turns !

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sheila, what are the lights on your back seat??? One looks like fuzzy trim around something, like the eaves on a house.

Also, what are those PINK things on your bike? :)

David M.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
David,

The pink things are coolers that sit on each of the passenger foot pegs. This way I have enough water and stuff on board when I do the Iron butt rides. I can reach into the coolers without stopping through a velcro opening.

The lights are the reflective trim on my riding jacket(The black and white item) and reflective trim on the aux fuel cell bag( the teal item with the squares). The bag is custom made from a lady in Fl.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Shiela, Its good to see you are alright. Paul said you were expected in Atlanta on Thursday for tires I think. He said he hadnt heard from you and we were just wondering if you were alright.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
She was lost in Arkansas for awhile......had to keep making u turns.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
Hi Toyo

Yes everything is alright. I had e-mailed them that I had to cancel the appointment on Monday night of that week but I guess they didn't get the e-mail. I had to replace the tires earlier than expected and then headed to the Arkansas gathering were I was pretty much out of cell phone range during the day.

Still in Harrison and they are calling for 2 + inches of rain today and the hotel is full for tonight :( guess I get to move in the rain.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Rich got home yesterday about 5:30 pm. He stopped and visited with 5Ross for a bit before heading home.
He said he had a wonderful time, and met some great folks. Thanks for taking such good care of him!

Becky

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Aw, Becky, he was an easy one to take care of. At least he didn't have problems with thread showing on his rear tire like a couple of folks I know! Glad he made it home safe and sound.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Stewart and I left right behind Fred, but I chose to run ahead of that big storm. I watched the 376 as it moved gradually toward the hook in the highway where I-40 drops down to I 30 at Little Rock. We rode in the dark on 65 at pretty good speed. and never let up. Stewart and I had filled up the night before at the Shell by the hotel.

The front of that storm crossed no more than 5 minutes behind us as we sped down I-40 until we were out of the danger of getting wet, then we stopped at Cracker Barrel and enjoyed breakrast.

As we approached Dallas, it looked like that storm would get us so we turned south through Tyler to 155 and 79. Something happened at Buffalo and the traffic was backed up as far as we could see, so we backtracked a few miles and took some back roads to the south that were really crooked, until we reached Texas 7 and took it over to 79.

I got home dry as a bone, thanks to my Tulsa shield, wings, and foot shields. Stewart was wet on the shoulders and legs. He has a tall Honda Shield and no trailer. The Tailwind helps keep the back wash away.

It got warm and I took my jacket off after breakfast, so I only had a longsleeve shirt and kakis on. If we had been required to stop I would have gotten wet.

Like Fred says, don't go anywhere without your 376.

Some south end of a north bound donkey in a pickup truck wedged in between Stewart and I on the Short I-35 segment from Roundrock to 290 west, at night, nearly pushing stewart into the center wall. The driver saw that we were traveling together and just wanted to be a gristle head. We just stayed in line until he got tire of it. ( Texas jocks use pickups to prove how much of a man they are, to which a lot of the young girls hold up their pinky as a demonstartion or their estimate of the guy's measurement.)

The gathering was a fun event and so far as I know, everyone left the roads as they found them with all the turns still in them.

My Friend Stewart could not believe that Fred had the guts to rip Sheila's bike apart in the hotel driveway with no spare parts source. I think that is when Fred does his best work. Anyway, how are you going to tighten the dreaded Y fitting without taking the tank out and every thing that is above it?

Sheila was in rare form and there were more than a few sight gags. She is a good sport and absolutely can not be fooled.

I certainly appreciated being invited and was glad to see everyone there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts