GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wing at the back of the pack and the slowest bike on the run. even the sportsters were out running me.
45mph cross wind, the WING was a hand full !!!!! felt like I was flat tracking. heavy traffic lots of big trucks and busses I could not pass and hung on for dear life when being passed. the pegs were getting close to draging in a stright line at 80mph. AT that speed I was the slowest thing on the road. dam unplesant.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I know the feeling... I have a long ride tomorrow and NOT looking forward to it.... 20-30 mph winds with gusts 40+... should make for an interesting day.

Melissa

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
2 times this year I was at a 45 degree angle,,dragging my toes,,and I was going straight...well sorta straight!!!We had 30-40 mph winds with gusts to 70 mph.......and i was only going 50 mph what a hand full that was too !!!!!.. Then a big ford expedition passed me and blew me out of my lane and into the emergency lane...I had about 2 feet of pavement left before I was going into the gravel....luckily I held on and saved it !!!!.....Pucker Factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Sassy said:
I know the feeling... I have a long ride tomorrow and NOT looking forward to it.... 20-30 mph winds with gusts 40+... should make for an interesting day.

Melissa
Melissa, If you are not looking forward to it and I know I would not I would do one of two things. I would either stay home or take the car. Why ride when you are not going to enjoy it? The only time I have to ride the Wing is when I am out on the road and want to get home. Any other time I always have other choices.

I was less than 100 miles from home one time and stopped at a Motel because I hit some heavy fog and rain. Decided it was not worth the risk of not being able to be seen or even being able to see the traffic myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ross is spot on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PUCKER FACTOR , to say the least, I dont know how I didnt end up in the ditch. I was slowed down to around 50mph, and several times it felt like the rear wheel was getting ready to lift off the pavment.
I will not ride in FOG if at all possiable.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
Ross gave some good advice, big mistake to let pier pressure influence u to do things that common sense tells u not to, but we have all done it sometime

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
As a bit of an expert in wind riding (3 years in California's high desert) there are a couple of things to reduce the strain of riding in high winds.

1) Stay relaxed. Tightening up will only make things worse and can lead you to overcompensate, turning a 3 or 4 inch deflection from forward travel to a foot or two.
2) Increase your speed. Yes, the normal reaction is to slow down, but increasing your speed, even slightly, will help.
3) Be aware of wind blocks. Overpasses and even other vehicles can temporarily change the speed and direction of the wind. This is especially true when passing semi's.
4) Give yourself an out. Ride in the lane, and the position within the lane, that will allow you the greatest chance for escape. This will depend on the traffic, the direction and speed of the wind, and your personal riding style.
5) If you are too uncomfortable, skip the ride or take the car. There is no place so special and important that you need to risk your life to get there.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Gotta agree with Ross and the others. Discretion being the better part of valor, I evaluate my options when I ride. If I have to get home its one thing, but I, like Ross have pulled the plug less than 100 miles from home and gotten a room because the factors against me were just increasing. Crashes are generally a series of events or factors that combine to create a mess in your day. If it doesn't look good, and wont be fun - I take the truck........ 8) Be safe out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts