GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? I am trying to install my Back Off brake module. I have the GL 1800/A Service and Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, but after cutting and hooking into two different wires have failed to get the module to work. I must be trying to hook up to wrong wire. Should be simple " I thought " but hasn't been. Decided I didn't want anymore patched splices on the bike. I am now believing I need to hook into the GRN/YEL wire between the brake light switches, and the Relay box at the front of the rear fender. Any help would make me :D . Ride safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Back Off Brake Module install.

Yes Pete I was doing the first part right. I actually did separate (cut) the wire, but my problem has been finding the correct wire. Unfortunately the two I picked so far were wrong. It appears that after further studying all the wiring schematic info. in my book it may actually be the GRN/YEL wire between the brake switches and the Relay Box. I am not hooking it up to anything but the standard brake lights. I don't have the spoiler or any extra lights. Thanks for the input. Ride safe.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I pulled out my service manual and looked up the wire code. The wire you want to cut and insert the BackOff module is the "Br/W" one. It attaches to a 3 conductor pulg. The other wires alongside it are color coded "G" and "G/R".

Make sure you insert the module in the right direction. One wire has to be toward the power and the other side (wire) toward the bulbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back Off Brake Module

Thanks I believe your right Buffalo. I was originally working off of page 9-0, and 9-1 in the electrical trouble shooting section further back in the manual. Looking at the wiring diagram section 22-12 shows it a little more clearly. In fact the two previous wires I tried were the ones next to the Br/W wire. My first attempt was the G/R wire and then the G one. Process of elimination should make it exactly as you say I hope. I'm mechanically inclined but not very good with electrical. I'll give it a shot tomorrow after work. By the way how is the weather up there? Are you able to get much riding in yet? It's been raining down here it seems for two months. :roll:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Before you go cutting any more wires, here's the one you need. It's the green wire with the red stripe. I know, I did it already and it works fine. It's in the big bundle under the seat.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Tom is right.
I am going by memory, but I think the harness is towards the rear section of the fender.
I cut into the green/red stripe wire and velcroed the module to the back of the fender.
In this hookup, all the rear lights will pulsate, which is what I wanted.
Hope this helps you.
Take care, Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do I have a dud module?

Well now two votes for the green wire with red stripe. That's the one I tried first, and it did not work. Perhaps I have a bad module. I'll try that wire again. If it doesn't work I'll try the Brown White one Buffalo referred to above. Man I hate electricical crap!!!!! :roll: I'm headed to the barn. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success at last!

OK guys here is how it is. None of the previous wires worked. What does is the GRN/YEL wire between the Brake Light Switches and the Relay Cluster that is at the front of the rear fender just behind the fuel tank. You have to tap into the Green wire with yellow stripe in the bundle of wires going into the blue relay group which is the center relay group in this relay cluster. Just unscrew the two phillips screws to release the whole cluster and release the two blue tabs holding in the blue relay group. It is the second relay from the right looking toward the front of bike that this GRN/YEL wire goes into. See Brake Lights Circuit Schematic on page 9-0. It is also shown differently on page 22-12 of the Wiring Diagram/Lighting System. It seems that this Back Off Module must be hooked up between the brake switches and the relay, not between the relay cluster and the brake lights itself. Hooking it up as I did all of the brake lights flash as they should both trunk and saddlebags. I almost feel electrical after this success. :D :arrow: Outta here safer than before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts