GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2008 GW and want to install some back off lights. I understand the wire pack is behind the rear fender. I need to hook up in series the 2 wires to the brake light wire. Not sure of the best place to do it or what the wire color is. Any help?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I installed a set of these http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HL on the underside of the trunk of my GW. Really get ones attention, even in daylight. If someone gets a little too close for comfort, just a light touch of the brake to light the brake lights will cause them to flash. They wire into the lights with provided Posi-Taps and attach with sticky tape.

They flash as long as brake lights are on. Or, by snipping a wire during installation, they flash 5 times them go solid.

Makes me feel a whole lot better about people behind me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what are "back off lights"? If you are talking about the pulsating brake light, then there are many hardware options with equally many installation locations and options. I opted for the Kissen Tail Blazer 200GW and only hook it up to my third brake light LED bar. I HATE *HATE* pulsators that turn your LED bar into a running light, so this option was perfect for me.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Larry,

I think the most popular option is to install a spoiler on the rear trunk lid with the integrated modulating brake light. There are a couple of advantages, IMHO. First the light is at eye level and should be better at getting their attention. Second, the connections are made insde the trunk lid so it is easier to work on.

Some of them, I think Electrical Connections, also can act as a turn signal in that half of the bar will flash as an indicator.

The only real caveat is if you already have a lid munted rack. It may be in the way. If you don't already have a lid mounted rack then this is the way that I would recommend you go.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
You may check "Rear Alert" out. Google it for full information.:thumbup:
I got mine on ebay. Great price and easy install. Works on both standard and LED lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts