GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install a back off module on a 2008 GW, trunk only. I haven't got a clue on where to start looking for wires. I do not have a schematic of the bike, I have no idea where the wires are. Does anybody have photos or videos of installing this product? Does this control module go in the trunk or under the seat and where is the best place to put it? I have read several posts on this forum on installation but it sounds like some of these are not done correctly to get the full wig wag effect. All I need is a reference to start. I have taken the seat off my bike and all I see is a pile of wires that all look the same. The schematic that came with the back off module is useless. There are five wires coming out of this unit.
Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.:eek:4:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm not sure what you're referring to on "installed incorrectly" but, it's relatively simple to install. You do have to find the correct wires to splice into though. If you're only going to do the trunk, that's pretty easy. I did mine a few months ago and I like it a lot. Anyway, if you've got the wiring schematic or the repair manual, on most of the Wings, the wires that are "green with a red stripe" represent the the brake light wires. Make sure that you don't get the straight "green" wires confused with those, those straight "green" wires are GROUND wires. MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A RED STRIPE ON THEM.

To get to those, remove the seat, and, there's a light gray plug under, where the passenger back rest would be. I can't remember what the plug number or letter designation is. That plug is where the start of the wires for the brake light systems (trunk and bags) originates. Now, one thing to remember, I'm talking from experience on an '02 here so, keep in mind you're working on a different year and therefore the wiring and plug location could be a bit different.

What I did was unplug that plug and take the end and tuck it under the trunk and out the back of the bike and, that gave me lots of room to work. I just sat on a stool and had about 12-14" of loom to work with. If you split the tape on that loom to the closest intersection, you'll see that the green with red strip is spliced a few times from the factory because from each splice it goes to different brake lamps. It is at this point that you'll determine which lamp(s) you want effected by the Back-off, Wig wag brake light modulator.

I simply cut and, added a length of wire to each of the ones I wanted to be operated and brought them to a junction back under the seat where I'd install the modulator. I then re-taped up the original loom with my new wires inside it and put it all back the way it was. My wires protruded from the loom right next to the gray plug. If I can recall a post or two with pics, I'll do it again and tell (show) you a small video of my "X" pattern of flashing with the modulator. Everyone that's seen it likes it. It wasn't hard to set up, just time consuming. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Good luck and PM me if you've any questions on the project.
Scott

On edit: here's some of the pics on the install.
Back Off Wig-Wag installed, easy job.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Moneypit, unless I am mistaken, the 12 volt power suppy Hitachi plug - in the factory OEM wire harness - to power the LED brake light in the factory OEM rear trunk spoiler - is located in between the trunk lid and the interior liner panel of the trunk lid. You have to remove the trunk lid's inner liner panel. I would think that would be a good location to take off power for the brake light circuit as well as ground if needed, and since you can fit an EC or Honda 12V power accessory socket in that inner trunk lid panel, I would think your brakelight modulator unit might fit in their as well.

If you remove the inner trunk lid liner panel, take careful note of screw locations, as not all of of the screws are of the same length. When removing, lay 'em out in the same pattern so you know what screw goes back in what hole. And adjust the torque setting of your screwdriver wrist judiciously. I've seen many others say them lid liner threads strip easily if the mounting screws are overtightened. Probably because you're screwing sheet-metal-type screws into plastic. So don't over-tighthen them excessively.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts