GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found out that i have a slipped dish in my back.:oops: I am in therapy now but it is not helping much. One thing for sure though, i must keep riding for the sake of sanity!:joke: I have a Uthopia back rest but i think i need some seat padding in addition. I contacted my dealer (Niehaus) and they say that their best seller is the Airhawk Seat pad. So do you guys have any experience with that or are any of you in similar condition and have other suggestions? Any help will be great.

From the land of Ice and Fire
Eagleman

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Have you tried the cheap Walmart gel pad?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I've been in agony all week so I feel your pain, literally. I think the key is to get off the bike a little more frequently and walk and stretch and then be aware that there will be days that you might just not ride. If like me you get intense spasms, well when that happens it would not be safe for you or anyone around you to ride. If it's just pain, well that's up to you. good luck. I'm leaving now for treatment on mine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Got an airhawk

I,ve got the air hawk seat cushion. Have had for about five years,with a couple different bikes. Don't use it around town, just on the longer runs. I have done 800 to 1,000 mile days. Has worked good for me. I am currently scheduled for my third injection at L-2 today, have three bulging disks and at L-2 its pinching nerve causing numbness in upper leg. I know what your going through with this back problem crap!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Nancy and I do one 9 to 12 bike long ride a month.
The other 900 miles or so we are on our own.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh ouch !

Must be an universal issue having "back pain". Just reading these postings gives some relief knowing there are many others dealing with this uncomfortable situation.

As one says..."just keep riding".
(thanks all for sharing)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have an Air Hawk and really like it, for those long days in the saddle. I've had it now for about six or seven years and can tell you that the key comfort on the Air Hawk is having it properly inflated.

Do I think that it will solve your problem (back pain)? Probably not but it sure won't hurt. I think that the oldguy's suggestions will probably help more in the long run.

Walt

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am scheduled for an MRI next week, the old back ain't what it used to be. No spasms for me, just alot of lower back pain. I am going to try the wal-mart seat cushion.:beer3:

·
Registered
274 Posts
back

try decompression therapy, my back has been battling me for years and decompression has helped the most,the latest machine is the drx9000 but there are many others, I had the steroid injections which just made me grouchy...also i think it helps to put some air between you and the seat so I use an air pad, just a 99 cent inflatable stadium pad with a small amount of air in it, also have a piece of sheepskin on it to aid breathing.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
+1 on Wallmart cushion

Decompression - heard some negative things about it from doctors. Investigate on your own!

Myself - had a raptured disk surgery 3 weeks ago. Fantastic results!!!
I was in paine, graded 20 on the scale from 1-10 since January. Was really looking forward to surgery and for a good reason. Happy I had it done.

I am riding again already!!! Yeah!!!! No pain!!!! Should have done it way earlier!!!!

Good luck!!! Send me PM if you need any details.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Since I am not a physician I am in no position to tell you what will or will not work for you. In my case I have weak core muscles and I slouch in the saddle causing a backache after 50 miles. Two things have worked for me: 1) a Back-A-Line found at http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BACKALINE which I used for a 565 mile day last Saturday and 2) working on my core muscles by doing "nightly crunches."

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hello Eagleman. I share your dilemma having been doing neck and back therapy since mid-January. Have had great progress with remedying the neck pain (yes, it can and may be contributing to your back alignment/pain problems), and the back is making progress.

If you have not already done so (which would surprise me), talk with your therapist about your problems riding and request some possible solutions. If you don't get them or are not getting better, you may need a different rehab therapy location:rolleyes:

I recommend that you work more on doing the core exercises. My place of therapy recommends that I do three sessions per day of the exercises I have been given to do at home. The stretching activity is also verrrrrrry important as I can attest after running for 30+ years w/o doing so as I should. I eventually had to stop running because of knee problems which I had replaced seven years ago.

Surgery is often the course of last resort and I have read that 90% of back problems can be corrected with proper and regular exercising.

As suggested by others, maybe a few days from time to time of not riding would be helpful. Maybe you should even consider taking a two week break. UGH! Oh, one other thought, would loosing some weight be something that might help?

Good Luck brother.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Eagleman, I can identify with you also, I have 5 herniated, and bulging disc, 2 in my lumbar, 1 in the thoriac, and 2 in my neck. I love my MC and refuse to quit riding. I was disabled from work 2 years ago because of a left knee workers comp accident, and the back injuries were not even known to exist by me, even though I had suffered with a lot of low back pain, and a stiff neck, I chocked up to driving a towing truck, towing tires at Goodyear Tire factory, on a truck that had solid rubber tires. I worked at Goodyear for 33+ years, and I'm not able to ride any kind of distance on my MC due to constant pain. I have a Air Hawk seat, and it does not help my back at all. My utopia backrest properly adjusted, has helped me more than anything since I found out about the 5 disc last fall. I wish you the best, and just keep pushing through the pain and ride as long as you can, as that's what I intend to do myself. I turned 53 years old today, and I'm feeling older than my 80 yr old father in law.:wrong:
God Bless and keep on riding!!
Randy:cool:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have bulged every disc between L1 to L4 with a herniated disc between L4 and L5 this past year,resulting in a numb left foot :shrug:(heating/cooling 31years)...I would highly recommend spinal decompression therapy,I could barely walk last winter into the summer,the only thing that kept from surgery last year was the spinal decomperssion LORDEX...
I also have a utopia backrest that works very good...I normally wear a backbrace while riding specially the long runs 700-1100 mile runs...The back really slowed my mileage down last year7,000 miles...year before 15,000 miles...So far I am feeling pretty good and ready for another 15,000 mile year plus

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ruptured L5 pretty badly in 1987. Landed flat on my back for 6 weeks which was the treatment back then. Anyway, ten minutes of simple stretching and strengthing/toning exercise every day has enabled me to ride up to 1,100 per day with NO lower back or sciatica nerve problem. However, from the time I injured my back, it was probably a good 8 months before I was traveling on the bike again. Since then, NO problems -- not even on the 10,000 mile 2-week Four Corners Tour. In fact, the only activity I've passed on is playing hockey. Simple and consistent exercise is huge.

Naturally, YMMV and will vary.

Good luck with things.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts