GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Texans. I picked up my new-to-me 2008 yesterday.

I "tinker" on my vehicles, including most maintenance and such. But I will need help learning the 1800. One of the first things i want to do is addd the driving lights and a couple of USB chargers. Are there youtube videos that show how to remove the body panels and/or add the driving lights?

I hope to meet some of you, especially in the Katy area. It's deer season, so I won't be able to meet on most Saturday mornings until next year :)

My wife and I are going to do the Three Sisters over Thanksgiving weekendd if the weather iss reasonable. We'll already be in Austin on Thursday and have reservations at the old Rocksprings Hotel for Friday night. Our plan is to leave Austin Friday morning, ride around, go to Rocksprings, then ride around some more on Saturday morning, heading bak to Katy after lunch. If anyone is interested in joining us or meeting, please do. (If the weather is bad - freezing or rain - we'll go hunting :) ).

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ride up to Sonora and go thru the Caverns of Sonora. Really impressive cave system. Thinking about taking off that ways myself.
Yes, we've been to the caves there. They are greally nice.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Welcome from a neighbor, Sugar Land. One of our sons lives in Katy. We will need to plan a get together ride soon.

You need two things for sure, the Honda Service Manual and Fred's Wing Maintenance DVD set. Fred H. is a sponsor here and his video set is a must have. You can watch him work and explain, then do the job feeling like you have done it before.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/gl1800.html

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Welcome from a neighbor, Sugar Land. One of our sons lives in Katy. We will need to plan a get together ride soon.

You need two things for sure, the Honda Service Manual and Fred's Wing Maintenance DVD set. Fred H. is a sponsor here and his video set is a must have. You can watch him work and explain, then do the job feeling like you have done it before.

+1 on Fred's videos.
You also need to consider if you want your driving lights for looks or to see in the dark. The fairing mount lights don't do much for seeing in the dark but they look good.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks. For "maintenance", I'm expecting "maintenance" :) I hope I don't need a manual for "maintenance", expecially since it's a Goldwing :)

It would be great to plan a ride. I must admit though, I *hate* cold weather :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You also need to consider if you want your driving lights for looks or to see in the dark. The fairing mount lights don't do much for seeing in the dark but they look good.
NOW you tell me :) What are the "non fairing mount lights"?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Thanks. For "maintenance", I'm expecting "maintenance" :) I hope I don't need a manual for "maintenance", expecially since it's a Goldwing :)
The bike is reliable, so you won't have to do much "repair".

As such, about all you ever have to do on the bike is Maintenance....but that doesn't mean there isn't work to do.

Here's the maintenance schedule out of the owners manual...it's not an insignificant amount of wrenching if you are going to do yourself.

Text Font Line Design Parallel

Text Line Font Design Pattern

You can do oil changes without much instruction but if you are going to do all that is on the list: brakes, brake and clutch fluid flushes, air filter or coolant changes, you can spend hours trying to research YouTube videos / post questions on how to do it or you can get Fred's DVD's.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike is reliable, so you won't have to do much "repair".
You can do oil changes without much instruction but if you are going to do all that is on the list: brakes, brake and clutch fluid flushes, air filter or coolant changes, you can spend hours trying to research YouTube videos / post questions on how to do it or you can get Fred's DVD's.
That may definitely be the case. Can you load the DVDs on your iPad once you own them?

(My personal opinion, so no offense meant to anyone especially Fred. I'm sure many will really dislike what I'm about to write.) As I was lurking on the forum and youtube before buying my GL1800, I was surprised that the answer to "how do I fix/replace/etc. xxx?" was often "buy the FH dvds." I came from the BMW K1200LT. Go to the BMW K1200LT forum. Their answer is, "Did you look at Kirk's video on youtube or his website?" Search youtube for "K1200LT". Kirk and his guys have over 100 videos that are great for K1200LT owners. Then there are others who have posted 100s of additional videos on maintaining, replacing and repairing a K1200LT. Or search for GM Light Truck - or any model Goldwing before the 1800. You'll find a segment that if you have wrenching experience you can follow and make your repair/replacement/etc. It doesn't look that way to me on the Goldwing. Steve Saunders has a couple out there. I know, I know, it's only $130 (two tanks of gas in my truck before last year). But it's not the denero. It defines the community. Just a little disappointed to see that. What I'mnot saying is that the forum and community aren't helpful - you are. It's only surprising that there are no serious youtube maintenance and repair videos and the only option is a commercial product. I guess as I learn more as I repair and maintain mine, I might be able to help out in that area (although I'm not a good video-ographer).

Flamesuit buckled, zipped and strapped.

Larry

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
That may definitely be the case. Can you load the DVDs on your iPad once you own them?

(My personal opinion, so no offense meant to anyone especially Fred. I'm sure many will really dislike what I'm about to write.) As I was lurking on the forum and youtube before buying my GL1800, I was surprised that the answer to "how do I fix/replace/etc. xxx?" was often "buy the FH dvds." I came from the BMW K1200LT. Go to the BMW K1200LT forum. Their answer is, "Did you look at Kirk's video on youtube or his website?" Search youtube for "K1200LT". Kirk and his guys have over 100 videos that are great for K1200LT owners. Then there are others who have posted 100s of additional videos on maintaining, replacing and repairing a K1200LT. Or search for GM Light Truck - or any model Goldwing before the 1800. You'll find a segment that if you have wrenching experience you can follow and make your repair/replacement/etc. It doesn't look that way to me on the Goldwing. Steve Saunders has a couple out there. I know, I know, it's only $130 (two tanks of gas in my truck before last year). But it's not the denero. It defines the community. Just a little disappointed to see that. What I'mnot saying is that the forum and community aren't helpful - you are. It's only surprising that there are no serious youtube maintenance and repair videos and the only option is a commercial product. I guess as I learn more as I repair and maintain mine, I might be able to help out in that area (although I'm not a good video-ographer).

Larry
I think the truth is that Fred's DVD's are so good and cover everything so people don't really decide to video stuff and put it out there. If there was a $130 option for EVERYTHING one might ever want to know / do on the BMW, people might not make individual videos showing where they figured it out.

Plus....I have to admit...I have Fred do work on my bike when I don't feel like it and he's about the only one I'd trust to do it. He's a pretty good guy and a big part of the community here.

Having said that...if you don't want to buy them....you can figure most things out on your own and you can likely find videos to specific problems if you want to go that way. Point being....you can still get a LOT of help without buying Fred's DVD's and sometimes that help will even come from Fred himself as he's on here all the time posting and helping and I've never, ever, seen him ask if someone had bought his DVD's while helping them.

And about loading them to an iPad? As long as you know how to rip a DVD to a video file and have the space to store them, I don't know why you couldn't do it. Technology wise...it's pretty simple. I'm not sure if it's officially ok in terms of the copyright....but I don't think it will matter for personal use as long as you don't distribute it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the truth is that Fred's DVD's are so good and cover everything so people don't really decide to video stuff and put it out there. If there was a $130 option for EVERYTHING one might ever want to know / do on the BMW, people might not make individual videos showing where they figured it out.

Plus....I have to admit...I have Fred do work on my bike when I don't feel like it and he's about the only one I'd trust to do it. He's a pretty good guy and a big part of the community here.

Having said that...if you don't want to buy them....you can figure most things out on your own and you can likely find videos to specific problems if you want to go that way. Point being....you can still get a LOT of help without buying Fred's DVD's and sometimes that help will even come from Fred himself as he's on here all the time posting and helping and I've never, ever, seen him ask if someone had bought his DVD's while helping them.

And about loading them to an iPad? As long as you know how to rip a DVD to a video file and have the space to store them, I don't know why you couldn't do it. Technology wise...it's pretty simple. I'm not sure if it's officially ok in terms of the copyright....but I don't think it will matter for personal use as long as you don't distribute it.
Yes, yes, I agree completely that the videos could be so good no one thinks about doing others. My point was only I was surprised that they weren't already on youtube. The BMW guys don't have to spend the $130. If you have experience with wrenches, you can basically rebuild your K1200LT using youtube.

Based on all of the feedback on the forum, there's no doubt that Fred is the "king" and that's why I expect his videos are also great. I suspect I will purchase them because they are only $130.

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Go to the link posted above for Fred's videos. From there click into his photo section. There are lots of how-to pictures with explanations in there that are priced right - free. We link to his pictures on a regular basis.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@dosxxs,

Yes I saw those earlier in the post about the 9 mounts being ready or something like that. My first thought was that they would not last me very long because somehow my accident prone self would quickly figure out a way to efficiently remove one or both and probably at highway speeds. I just wouldn't know who else would be injured. :)

·
Administrator
4,855 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who's that handsome stud behind those LED's?

Listen to Dosxxs. He knows. He and Steve Gold just installed this set of 40 watt PIAA's on my bike last Saturday. If you go to the main forum and find the thread "Happy Birthday Glockjock" you'll fin that toward the end of that thread Joe tells you everything you need to know about the lights, mounts, switch, and relays. These baby's put out some light.

By the way, welcome to the forum. And watch out when you go for a ride with that Ironhorse 1800 fella. No telling where you'll end up.

Glen

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts

Listen to Dosxxs. He knows. He and Steve Gold just installed this set of 40 watt PIAA's on my bike last Saturday. If you go to the main forum and find the thread "Happy Birthday Glockjock" you'll fin that toward the end of that thread Joe tells you everything you need to know about the lights, mounts, switch, and relays. These baby's put out some light.

By the way, welcome to the forum. And watch out when you go for a ride with that Ironhorse 1800 fella. No telling where you'll end up.

Glen
Ha! Like you, I almost always end up somewhere in-state when all is said and done! Come to think of it Glen, who's planning the 2016 RAT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

Glen
This is a great picture depicting the difference in "fairing mount" lights and "non fairing mount lights". You tell me which ones put out the light? But those EC LED's in the fairing do look good!

·
Administrator
4,855 Posts
Ha! Like you, I almost always end up somewhere in-state when all is said and done! Come to think of it Glen, who's planning the 2016 RAT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hoss, I asked this same question of Steve and Joe while they were installing my lights Saturday. They told me that you would be spearheading the ride next time.

This is a great picture depicting the difference in "fairing mount" lights and "non fairing mount lights". You tell me which ones put out the light? But those EC LED's in the fairing do look good!
LEBoyd, if you get the lights and mounts like the ones on my bike, take a ride up to the Metromess area and Joe and Steve can brighten your night in about 4 hours while you wait. They'll even polish your fairing and install new headlight bulbs at no charge.

Glen

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
A quick hijack of this thread - I only have three sets of the mirror-mount aux light holders left. Larry - they come in handy in those Texas boonies.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Larry
Yes Larry there are ways to put the videos on youtube, but it would violate Fred's copyright. I could do it but I won't. I appreciate Fred's compliation of knowledge and am more than willing to pay for it. I bought a set of his DVD's a few months ago so I could do the same as so many others here do. It really is one of the best investments you can make in your Goldwing. As for the Service manual, post a WTB for a Service manual covering the 2008 and you'll probably find someone with an old one willing to get rid of it. It will provide you with information such as to how many ft./lbs do you torque the lock nut for the steering column and other such stuff. You may not think you'll be getting in that deep, but once you watch Fred's DVD's and see how easy it is you'll probably start thinking about doing extra stuff. YMMV Either way congratulations on the buy and enjoy many years of riding!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.