GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great Allman Brothers tune but not what I'm talking about in this thread. I started working in a Sinclair service station when I was about 11. When I was 13 the city motorcycle officer used to stop in every morning for coffee. I don't care how cold it was Officer Campbell would swing that Harley in the lot every morning. I thought he was the coolest guy I ever met. One February morning ... it was about 5 degrees ... and Officer Campbell came in for his java. He walked through the door ... chipped the frozen snot from his upper lip .... looked at me and said "Don't you ever forget me boy ... I am a hard motherf%^$*&". I said "You're the hardest motherf%^$*& I've ever known Officer Jim". He punched me in the arm and told me to watch mu language. I knew right then and there that I would always ride a motorcycle and I would always respect the LEO's.

So what got you hooked? What made you want to try to ride in the get go?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
For me, it started with a trip in a motorhome with my wife and kids, more than 20 years ago, and more than fifteen years before I ever threw a leg over a motorcycle. We were on the Blue Ridge Parkway, enjoying the easy pace and beautiful scenery, and I thought to myself, " Man, this would be a great place to ride a motorcycle." Why that thought came to me is still a bit of a mystery; I had never really thought about riding before that, and didn't take my thought very seriously even then.

Well, nearly 20 years passed, and my wife and I are one of five couples that did a lot of tandem bicycling together. Two of those couples also did motorcycle touring, and one day I'm listening to them talking about a trip they're planning, and I start thnking to myself again. This time I'm thinking back to that trip on the Blue Ridge, and say to myself, "I always thought that would be fun."

Well, I decided then and there I was gonna learn to motorcycle tour. My wife wasn't crazy about the idea to say the least, but she knew I was determined, and was otherwise supportive. First thing I did was take the MSF Beginners Class, and then picked up a used Suzuki SV650. Having been a cyclist all my life, I wasn't intimidated being on the road, and much of the technique came easy. Six months later I bought the bike I had been aimiong for all along, my Goldwing. That was five years ago, and I've put about 55,000 miles on the bike, my wife loves touring with me (and I with her!) and there is no end in sight.

I sometimes regret all the years I did not ride - all I missed, etc. But then I think, hey, how cool is it to find something new and exciting to do, and share with my wife, at 60 years old, and I'm almost glad I didn't ride before.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Had a cousin that often took me riding on his Cushman Cruiser when I was five or six years old. I would stand in front of him and hold onto the handlebars.

My 1st 2 wheeler was a 57' Cushman Eagle.

1st Motorcycle was a 59' 650 Triumph Bonneville (Due to electrical shortcomings, I think I pushed it further than I ever rode it)

Had 1 Yamaha, several Hondas, and a Harley over the years.

like the Goldwing best so far

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I got my first bike at 13 and loved it! I got my MC endorsement at 15 and it was a new found freedom. I could now go anywhere legaly and for pennies. I collected coke bottles for gas money. A friend of mine had the same bike as mine and his dad had a goldwing. We took it out a few times and I was hooked. Someday I would have a goldwing and tour the country on it.
After a few more progressively bigger bikes I let it rest when I met my wife and we got married and had kids. My Father inlaw gave me a reconditioned Honda CB 350 that I kept for years and putted the kids around town on. So I have almost always had a motorcycle.
Then it hit me..... we had the kids in Colorado on a summer vacation when we came out of the Hotel and there was a couple on a goldwing trike from California and they were headed back home. We talked to them for a while and they shared their adventures with us and even let the kids sit on their trike. The pasenger had a video camera and would shoot video while they were riding.
About 2 years later I found a GL 1500 on Ebay and the wife convinced me to pull the trigger. It was everything I had dreamed it would be! We have been motorcycling every since. We have met some great people in our travels and love every minute we get to ride.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
When I was about 14 I spent the summer putting together Hondas from the crate to the showroom floor for my cousin's dealership for $3 each. I never got to ride one, but it hooked me. My present avatar was my first motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Probably, the television show "Then Came Bronson" put the bug in my head....and the fact that my folks hated motorcycles. That got me started on my first bike, a CB750. The biggest bike Honda made at the time. After the first "long" trip of 300 miles and meeting some great people, I was hooked.

B

·
0 Posts
Started with a yamaha 50 and then graduated to a Honda 70 followed by a Suzuki 125. Then a long break. Always loved bikes but wife was not into them. 25 years later got back into it with a Yamaha Ventue followed by two goldwings over ten years.

Have had some health issues and now have no bike, but bought a vette. Hoping to return to motorcycling next year.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My fiancee at the time, now my wife, were in a cab when a 750 Shadow pulled up along us. She proceeded to tell me her dad had always owned bikes, he owns a trike now, and how much she missed bikes. I enrolled in a MSF course as soon as a could, and got a bike the day after I got my license. One of the best moves I ever made.:cool:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Excellent thread.

My dad owned bikes from the day I could understand what a bike was. All kinds of bikes. He always had a what we called a 'dresser' back then - a boat HD with bags and the batwing fairing.

He owned an Esso station back then - he retired from the military the year before I was born and this was his trade. He would often take basket cases in trade for mechanical work and we would spend hours putting them back together.

First 'bike' was a Honda CT70 and from there it was in my blood. I'll ride until I can't anymore. Last year I went through kidney failure and dialysis and I still rode while I was on the machine.. Doc hated it - I think that and my wife's support is what kept me alive through transplant.

·
Registered
989 Posts
In 1962 my Dad bought me a Montgomery Ward Allstate scooter. WE had moved from San Francisco to Harstene Island in Puget Sound. AN 8 car ferry to get to the mainland. ANyway, I was so cool with this scooter. I was only 15...
Now I cold go visit friends on the island...problem was all the roads were gravel,
Not conducive for a scooter. Graduated to a Honda 50 brand new I bought myself...way cool and that was the beginning! been riding 49 years now!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My father was born in 1910, and rode all aver the country during the depression. He even tought motorcycles to the French during WW2. He stopped riding when he married my mother. He always had stories about riding and his travels. I grew up with those tales. There was never a question of if I would ride, just what would be my first. Age 17 brought a 1955 Triumph 500cc into my life and the adventure began.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
1st was a Honda Mini Trail 50, when I was about 8. Moved to an XL 70, and then at 13, to a CB 125.

After turning 18, I've owned 2 Hondas, a Kawi, a Yamaha and 3 Harleys. With the exception of a 12 yr break to deal with younger kids, there has always been a bike in my driveway.

S

·
0 Posts
Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

I was born with a chrome twistgrip in my ear :roll:

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

I was born with a chrome twistgrip in my ear :roll:
If you were referring to me.......I guess I had a lucky childhood. But since turning 18, I have been working non-stop, and for most of the last 17 years, I have worked two jobs. I paid for every one of those bikes myself.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you were referring to me.......I guess I had a lucky childhood. But since turning 18, I have been working non-stop, and for most of the last 17 years, I have worked two jobs. I paid for every one of those bikes myself.

Let it go man and tell us how you ended up in the saddle. Let's not see a good thread go down the tubes.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
So what made the change?
I really don't know. I loved riding, and he died when I was 11, so he wasn't around to poison my mind. I can remember him not necessairily swerving at bikes on the road, but he would definitely crowd them. I was most definitely hooked when while stationed in germany I bought a used CX 500

·
Registered
858 Posts
Got my motorcycle license at 13 and rode a 1967 Honda Trail 90. Rode lots of backwoods trails and paper routes on that thing before I T-boned a car that ran a stop sign. Got another one, then graduated to a Triumph Bonneville 650 at 15. Darn thing almost broke my leg kick starting at times.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts