GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any tricks to backing up a motorcycle with a trailer attached? I'm terrible with getting trailers behind cars and trucks to go where I want them to go so I'm concerned about it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It can be done with, works the same as backing a trailer with a car. Take your time and go practice in a parking lot, watch your footing so you wont fall over.

Good luck

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
When you back with a car or truck put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel that way you move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to turn. Short wheel base trailers or a bitch to back because they turn so quick. With a scooter turn the handle bars in the direction opposite the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. Turn slow once they start to change direction they change quick. Have the bike and trailer straight before you start take your time go easy

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Simply put...

If you want your trailer to move to the right, push forward with your right hand on the handle bars as you back up.

If you want your trailer to move to the left, push forward with your left hand on the handle bars as you back up.

Try it, it really works and really is that simple. I use this all the time. Now it is just a matter or practice and timing to know when to under/over steer and when to correct. At least this will get you started.

Good Luck and happy backing!!

BAT

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
BAcking with a trailer

Once you remember which way to turn the handlebars to directr the trailer the way you want, the key is to do everything s-l-o-w-l-y. Unfortunately, the 'Wing's reverse gear has only one speed, but it's pretty slow, and it stop quickly when released. So, just move in small increments and you should be able to put the trailer pretty much wherever you want.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
When backing a trailer just remember this. Turn wheel/handlebars the opposite direction you want the trailer to go. Trailer left, turn right... Trailer right, turn left. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.....

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
push right-turn right-make small slow manuvers

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I am no expert on backing up my bike trailer.. but I did sleep at a Holiday
Inn Express last night... when backing up my trailer.. i don't look in the mirrors... i turn my head and watch the trailer... steer in the opposite
direction you want to the trailer to go...

cosmic

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just know the way I want the trailer to go and know the bikes rear has to go the other direction at least to get things moving. Another way to think of it is back the bike toward the direction you want to leave in. If you’re sitting on the bike and know the exit out of the lot is to your left start backing the bike left and watch the trailer in your right mirror. Once it is moving smoothly then you stop turning the bike so hard and gradually bring in back to center. Once you get good at it the bike will be set to move forward by the tine the handlebars are straight. Also, you should find that place in your mirror where the trailers rear is at just before it goes too far and where you are forced to go forward because the trailer is jacked to hard. With my trailer, my height and my mirror I know as long as I have the reflection of the tail of the trailer an inch from the outside edge of the mirror I am doing fine. I use my mirrors more becuase after a disc fusion in my neck/back turning around all that way hurts.

I keep my trailer attached so I back it up at least twice a day. Once leaving the garage and once backing into or backing out of a parking slot. I stopped worrying about finding drive through parking stalls. After 50k of riding with a trailer attached at all times the reverse gear is way too slow for backing and I only use it to back up an incline or on loose rocks.

Like it was already recommended above…. Practice, practice, practice and even after all that don’t get frustrated when the trailer starts to jack knife too hard, just stop and move forward 6 inches to a foot and try it again. Once the trailer goes too far stop! To keep backing could bang up the trailer, bike or both.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
dosmoore said:
Are there any tricks to backing up a motorcycle with a trailer attached? I'm terrible with getting trailers behind cars and trucks to go where I want them to go so I'm concerned about it.
If you have problems with cars/trucks and trailers, you'll have the same problem with motorcycles and trailers. It has to do with how your brain handles spatial reality problems. To some it's intuitive, to others it's a mystery. You can improve spatial reality skills with practice, although you have to keep practicing or you'll lose them again.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Yep, Practice, practice, practice and practice some more... After you learn, it is very very easy.

My kids all had to drive a car backward from one end of a runway to the other, then they had to do it pushing a trailer backward. All of my kids can back up as well as most go forward...

A friends daughter was really having trouble, so I spent a few hours with her, she did the back up the runway thing about ten times, but by golly she can back up great now.

Motorcycle is no different, go practice, practice, practice and then practice some more, then come on here and tell us how easy it really is...

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ideally you want to start with the trailer straight then watch your mirrors and make corrections as soon as you can see more of the trailer in one mirror. I have even lifted the trailer to straighten it out before I back up if I had to park with it out of line with the bike. I find it easier to keep my balance using the mirrors; turning my head seems to throw me off, especialy with the wife on too.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Once, when backing out of a parking spot someone asked over the CB which way are we going since there was an exit at each end of the parking lot. I still get kidded about my response: "Whichever way my trailer wants to go". My truck driving buddy took me to a parking lot and gave me some lessons. I like Bat's technique.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I am reverse challenged - once took me 30 minutes to back the boat trailer down the ramp!

Best advice my husband gave me for the motorcycle trailer....turn the handlebars completely left or right, SLOWLY backup. If the trailer doesn't go where you want....turn the handle bars in the opposite direction. SLOWLY backup, adjust your handle bars accordingly.

IT WORKS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts