GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the backoff unit for my 06 . Has anyone put one on I just wont to run the trunk lights on it . any info would be a help thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I assume we are talking about a brakelight modulator...

You apply the brakes, and it blinks fast at first, then slows to solid over a period of typically 3-5 seconds...

Really gets the attention of drivers behind you... I am interested in this form my new GL1800 - have had this on two other bikes - it does make a difference and I notice drivers respect my space behind me a little more consistently...

Thanks,
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Installed one on my '03, my '05, and a friends '04. Don't know if the wiring on the '06 is the same or not. If it is I can give you an idea, but I do not want to misinform you.

BAT

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had one moved from my 04 to my 07. No mention of incompatability.

About the size of a pack of cigarettes. Plug and play. Mounts between the two layers of trunk lid.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have had the Signal Dynamics Back Off fail on both our bikes after 18 months or so. When they failed, I didn't have any brake lights at all so guess it was good that they failed open.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I installed the back-off to my '06 so it would flash just the upper lights. This is how I did it and it works great.

I pulled down the panel under the trunk and found the 2 wires going to the brake lights. There are 2 looms, 1 one each side, that go to the lights. Open the looms up and find the red/green wires and cut them. Wire the back-off to the wires going to the lights and tape off the other wire and retape the loom. I put the module under the seat. The loom running in front of the relay box will have the red/green wire from the front. Splice the power wire into that. I did the repeating pattern. Ground the other wire. I ran the 2 output wires under the trunk along the right side next to the loom going that way. All connections from the module are made under the seat. I used blade connectors to connect everything and made a jumper to reconnect the wires if the module ever failed. Hope this helps. Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Here are the instruction I used to install mine:

WIG-WAG installation instructions:

Tools Needed:

Razor Knife
Wire Cutters
Butt Splices
Crimper
Soldering Iron
Solder
Heat Shrink
Allen Wrench sets
Ohm Meter
Electrical Tape

One main point is that I only have the inside upper lights, both left and right, blinking. I’ll tell you how to make both uppers, both sides, blink as I go along, if that’s how you want it to work. The reason I did it that way is I didn’t want it to be too obnoxious. lol That’s just me… you do it whatever way makes you most happy.

Also, if you’re doing it like I did, make sure you can get the upper light assemblies out of the trunk… some have had trouble with getting the acorn nuts off. The reason you may need to do this is that you may splice into a wire that goes to the outer light rather than the inner light. If so, remove the light housing and switch the outer and inner lights.

I took off a lot of plastic… you may not have to do that but I think it makes it easier. Also, I hope you have a service manual because I’m not going to go into detail about removing the plastic. Hope you don’t mind.

1. Remove the seat.

2. Remove the rear fender.

3. Remove the lower trunk.

4. Disconnect the 14 pin gray connector located in the large boot under the seat.

5. From the rear of the bike, pull the 14 pin connector harness towards the rear until the connector hits the front of the trunk… this should give you enough room to start cutting off the wrapping to expose the wires.

6. At this point you will see the 14 pin connector harness splits 3 ways – 1 harness to the left upper tail lights and trunk opener, 1 harness to the right upper lights and 1 harness to the big boot which goes to lower taillights. Cut back the tape and expose the looms going to both upper lights. About 2-3 inches of exposure both ways should do it.

7. The wires you want coming out of the 14-pin loom are Green with a Red stripe (G/R), and plain Green (G). The G/R wires are from the brake switches and the G is ground. You should note that 5 G/R wires are coming out of the 14-pin loom. 2 of these go right, 2 go to the lower lights and 1 goes left. You should also note that 1 G/R wire comes back from the right upper and goes to the left upper. There are a bunch of G wires but you will only have to splice into 1 of these – any 1 of these will do.

8. If you only want the inside lights to blink, choose one of the G/R wires going right and cut it in the middle of what’s exposed. If you want both to blink, cut both G/R wires going right. Splice in the Red WW wire into the G/R wire(s) coming out of the 14-pin loom. Splice the Red/White WW wire into the G/R wire(s) going up to the right.

9. Cut the G/R wire coming from the right and going to the left in the middle of its exposure for one blinking light. For two blinking lights cut that wire and the other G/R wire coming out of the 14 pin loom going left in approximately the same place because you have to splice the WW White/Red wire to the ends going up to the left lights. Splice in the W/R WW wire. Tape off the other exposed ends of the of the G/R wire(s) – they don’t get spliced to anything.

10. Pick a G wire and strip back enough insulation and splice in the Black WW wire.
I soldered all the splices but you can do it any way you see best. Your done with the wiring… congratulations on a job well done – maybe. lol

Reconnect the 14-pin connector and turn on the ignition. Test the brake lights. If they blink the way you want them to you’re really done. Pat yourself on the back if your arms are long enough. lol If you did just one light each side, make sure they are both inner (or outer if that’s what you want). If they aren’t the same, remove the housing from the trunk and switch the lights in the housing.

Re-tape the looms, stick the WW on the bottom side of the trunk making sure its forward (towards the front of the bike) as far as it will go or else you’ll have a hard time getting the rear fender back on as the WW wires will be in the way. I bent them over to the right and then put some silicone on them because they pulled away slightly from the WW pot insulation. You could also point the WW down but you’d only be able to get half of it stuck on the trunk. Mount it the way you see best.

Re-install the Tupperware and seat and go for a ride.

If you care to drop me a PM or an email, I can email you some photos as well.
Happy New Year! :capwin:

BAT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts