GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed Showchrome backrest on the new Tour. I liked the stiffness and the design of this unit. The mounting plate uses the same method as the Honda unit. It has some vertical adjustment and folds forward when needed for passenger mounting.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Installed Showchrome backrest on the new Tour. I liked the stiffness and the design of this unit. The mounting plate uses the same method as the Honda unit. It has some vertical adjustment and folds forward when needed for passenger mounting.
That's the same one I was looking at. Does the quick detach work well? Found it for $189.95 on Big Bike Parts. What did you pay?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the same one I was looking at. Does the quick detach work well? Found it for $189.95 on Big Bike Parts. What did you pay?
I paid the same as you are seeing at Bigbikeparts. The detach is accomplished by having the vertical bar slotted at the bottom so it will slide over the two screws on the base plate. I found the powder coating on the bar was a little thick at the bottom, which caused it to not move freely when trying to pull it off the screws. After buffing the powder coating down, the screws can be set for a close fit and the bar will slide out with a firm pull and still feel very secure when in place. I did a 200 mile, 4 hour ride yesterday and I really like this back rest.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
99 Posts
That looks great, it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

What's your opinion on the durability of the quick detach mechanism? I'll probably be taking mine on and off at least twice a week or more.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any additional reviews of the Showchrome back rest would be appreciated.

The used DCT Tour I'm buying tomorrow comes with a Showchrome Back Rest still in a box. I have not needed a back rest on either my two prior GL1800s so I won't open it until I have ridden the 1833 on some long day rides.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I wish the Honda backrest was quick release. Had I known about this one I may have waited but I like the Honda size and look. Decisions, decisions........

Maybe I can make the Honda unit removeable? I’ll need to take it apart and see what I can fabricate.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just installed Show Chrome it sat forward to much, with all the adjustment forward. So tired of fixing new stuff.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any additional reviews of the Showchrome back rest would be appreciated. .
I had Honda of Russellville install all my accessories prior to delivery. In addition to most of the Hondaline accessories, I had the Show Chrome Quick Detach backrest installed. It is very comfortable, and attaches/detaches in literally about 2 seconds. I have not needed to adjust the unit, as it fit just fine for my comfort. The quality of the unit appears to be top notch. I had a Utopia on my 2002 Gold Wing, and although comfortable, the Show Chrome unit seems to offer more support in my lumbar region. My wife was complaining about seat room, so I took the backrest off and stored it in the trunk. No problem doing that, even with the smaller trunk. My wife said after removal, there was no difference, so it apparently does not impede on the passengers space. Also, when my wife dismounts, I get off the bike first, I grab her right foot and swing it over the tank and then she dismounts. The backrest folds down all the way forward to allow her to dismount with out anything in the way.

I'm glad I went with the Show Chrome versus the Hondaline backrest. I haven't heard a lot of good comments from the Hondaline customers.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Factory backrest - no go

I sat on one today with the Honda factory backrest. Not impressed. Maybe I'm just too short (5'8") but I had to lean way back just to touch the thing. Options are a good thing.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

·
Registered
597 Posts
it is adjustable
Not enough! Got the Honda. I’m thinking about the utopia, they say it adjusts 6” if I remember right.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Rode with Honda backrest today. I’m 5’9” and a bad back (who doesn’t own one of those?), the pad had to be pushed all the way forward to give any support. By the time it was forward, the support was too low. I’m looking for different options at this point.
Thanks for the reviews.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Installed the Show Chrome backrest today. First item that I noticed as compared to the Honda Unit was that the anchor nuts that hold the base to the seat were made of light gauge metal. Under very slight torque the nuts bent and became unusable. I had to carefully find the threads and match up the bolts and nuts because they were now angled due to the bending. The Honda quality hardware is much more substantial. After the arduous task of reading minuscule printing and blurred photos in the directions, I finally got the unit on the bike. At first glance I could see an inherent hazard for the passenger as the bolts and metal hardware are exposed at the crouch level. The Honda unit provides a rubber cover for this area. For my money, the Show Chrome unit has been half assed engineered. FWIW

Attachments

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Any additional reviews of the Showchrome back rest would be appreciated.

The used DCT Tour I'm buying tomorrow comes with a Showchrome Back Rest still in a box. I have not needed a back rest on either my two prior GL1800s so I won't open it until I have ridden the 1833 on some long day rides.
Thewit, I’ll buy yours! I am in Calgary so would be a lot less to ship than from BigBikeParts! Let me know . . . :grin2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can get this backrest now for $147 on Amazon. I have the Areo Flip-Out Highway Pegs and need back support when stretched out. Hoping this does the trick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Anyone know what the little rubber donut is for? Just installed mine today and the instructions never mention it. Not the leather donut, the small rubber one. Has 3M tape on one side.

Also, I had to mount the backrest to the opposite side of the post to get it back far enough. The proper side was WAY too close.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts