GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been beat like an old dog, but here we go. I have a kuryakin backrest on my wing. I have a brand new utopia I can put on. Which would be the most comfortable in your opinion. I hear so much about the utopia and I find the kury is a little tall. I have back problems with a lot of degenerated discs.

I know I could put it on and try it and change it if I dont like it, but I didnt want to cut the seat without some expert input.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,126 Posts
I'm 5'7" with 32" sleeve length, 28" inseam and I find it very comfortable. I have frequent lower back pain and it helps a lot in preventing flare-ups.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am sure this has been beat like an old dog, but here we go. I have a kuryakin backrest on my wing. I have a brand new utopia I can put on. Which would be the most comfortable in your opinion. I hear so much about the utopia and I find the kury is a little tall. I have back problems with a lot of degenerated discs.

I know I could put it on and try it and change it if I dont like it, but I didnt want to cut the seat without some expert input.
I just install a utopia on mine its easy to ajust going down road very comforable.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Utopia is the way to go. It works good on lower backs and it's a cleaner look than the rest.:thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
My Utopia back rest was the very best thing I have ever done to my Goldwing. I would not have another Goldwing without one. Took me a LONG time to make that first cut, but I measured twice and cut once. Ended up spot on!

Bob

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I modified my Kury backrest so that the pad is much lower than normal, it sits right on top of the seat. It still hits your back higher than I would like because the frickin pad is so large. I might try replacing the pad with a HD backrest pad as they are a few inches smaller.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I'm 5'7" with 32" sleeve length, 28" inseam and I find it very comfortable. I have frequent lower back pain and it helps a lot in preventing flare-ups.
:agree:

Sorta.

I'm 6'3" with 37" sleeve length, 36" inseam.
Similar (I guess) low back pain -- but not with the Utopia!

I can ride 500-1200 miles/day with no problem.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Don't know anything about the Kury backrest. But I do love my Utopia. Easy to install (after you get past the fear of that first cut) and has made a world of difference in comfortable riding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
IMO a lot is down to do you carry a passenger? The Kurry one is not that comfortable for a passenger whereas the Utopia one does not impede a passenger but the fear of making that cut in the seat is HUGE! Show chrome makes one where there is very little impedance to the passenger and no cutting involved. Just my .02c

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Install was 30 min soup to nuts. Just watch the video it's much better than the literature given. Cutting isn't as bad as you'd think. You need to get seat level on work surface so the cut through the foam is at the correct angle of the seat pan. Makes bracket line up better for bolts holes. I say go for it!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a Utopia on the Gold Wing and also had one on another bike. Recently I added a Yamaha to the stable. Utopia has a backrest for the Yamaha but I did not like it because it took up about half of the passenger's seat area when mounted. So I spent a lot more money for a Backup backrest. I was sure surprised when I found out how much more comfortable the Backup was over either of my previous Utopia's!

I to have a lot of back problems so it was definitely worth the extra money for the Backup. If I ever get another Wing it will come with the Backup just because for me it is much more comfortable...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts