GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are doing the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive on 7/22/11
and would like any input on scenic route from Columbus, Oh area to Front Royal, VA, starting point for skyline drive. We are in no hurry to get there and would like to stay off interstates as much as possible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would get to Zanesville and pick up Rt.555 to Belpre Ohio,cross the river to Parkersburg Wva.and pick up Rt 50. Then run rt 50 east to rt 29 south.to 55 east into front royal.
Rt 555 can be a work out.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I would get to Zanesville and pick up Rt.555 to Belpre Ohio,cross the river to Parkersburg Wva.and pick up Rt 50. Then run rt 50 east to rt 29 south.to 55 east into front royal.
Rt 555 can be a work out.
The only change I would suggest is for twisties therapy from the cjsocks thread - I would get to Zanesville and pick up Rt. 555 to (I did this last October and 555 rocks) Belpre Ohio, cross the river to Parkersburg, WV.and pick up Rt 50 take that east to near West Union then take WV 18 south to US 119 into Westin to US 33 east (I love the extreme grades and twisties on US33) to Seneca Rocks then Route 28 north to Petersburg and then 220 to Moorefield then 259 east to Wardensville and 55 east to Front Royal.

After doiing that I would forget the Skyline Drive due to the very restricted speed limit and the deer who have a tendency to run out in front of you. I rode the Skyline Drive recently and the deer were all over the place from the entrance all the way up to Skyland about 42 miles from Front Royal. Not only the deer but the rangers with radar will make you to be on your best behavior and put you in a very alert state. Of course that is just my thoughts on it ... not the same as it was 30 years ago.

Seneca Rocks

I love that area - :thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Skyline drive due to the deer and rangers will probably get you the best gas mileage you've ever had. At least it did me. I think it was like 48-50 mpg..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
So far I agree with what most of what has been thrown out to you as a good route to Front Royal...

I know 555 is a good and twisty road and yes it will give you a work out, but it isn't all that long, you'll be off of the tough stuff in an hour or so...

Over in W.Va. I would normally say go all the way across the state on US-50 to Winchester VA and down to Front Royal by the routes from previous posters and on the SLD, but 50 is kinda full of pot hole repairs right now and not in the best of shapes...

US-250 is also in need of paving and is being worked on but will not be done by the time you come through, also it will put you about two hours south of Front Royal......

If you ride US-50 E to Elkins and get on US-33, it is in very good shape and will give you all the twisty workout you could ever ask for plus a very beautiful view... US-33 will put you about 30 minutes south of Front Royal...

Good luck with your ride and I know you'll enjoy the SLD, it and the BRP are one of the most beautiful rides in our country... The SLD is a 35 mph and the BRP is 45 mph ride and the tickets do not go on your record but they are very expensive...

Edit:

How you get to SR-555 is kinda a problem??? US-33 in that part of Ohio is kinda Bla and boring to ride as is SR-550, maybe you could get on 555 a few miles east of New Lexington??? Anyway, after coming off of SR-555 get on SR-7 / US-50 N and ride across the river until you come to ST-14 S and take it to Spencer US-33 E and then across the state, This is a good twisty road that is in pretty good shape right now...

Both US-50 and US-33 come together at Elkins and both are good roads to there...

If you stay on US-33 it will take you to Elkton VA to US-340 N about 35 to 45 minutes from the south end of Front Royal VA and the entrance of the SLD... It will be on your right and goes up a hill... There is a $10 charge unless your, I think it 62 or older , maybe 58?? Then you can get a lifetime card for the same one time fee of $10 that's good for any National park in the US...

US-33 has it all, four lanes, two lanes, slow curves and lots and lots and lots of twisties with a good view most of the way...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts