Jim

D

·
0 Posts
I am having two vetabra fused in the morning.(L2&L4) taking 3 out
How long is it going to be before I can even think about riding

I think I read several months ago that one of US had it done

Jim
In 2000 I was rear-ended by a large Sedan while at a red light.
Broke the lamina of L5 and S1 on both sides, and crushed the disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1.

The other broken Vertebrae is higher in my back and I may still have surgery to repair it.

Two years of therapy prior to surgery just prolonged the pain that on most days was a 7 and a few days a week it was 8 or 9 with both sciatic nerves inflamed with just about every move I made.

Said all that to say this:

Had Dual Laminectomies & Discectomies with a lot of bone carving and shaping by the neurosurgeon.
Explicit Photo Warning: P1 P2 P3 P4 P5

Woke up from the Op with Zero Pain for the first time in 3+ years.
A week later the surgery scars/site soreness had all but gone.

Two weeks after that I asked the Doc about Riding my LT, and said as long as your not bent over for any extended periods, and if I Swear not to even think about lifting it if I drop the bike, then go for it.

I rode from The Casa to Gatlinburg for CCR (Curve Cowboy Reunion), a BMW/Lux Touring annual gathering.

I had zero problems with riding, and I stopped about every 2 hours for breaks.

Of Course: YMMY

Best of luck with your surgery!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My surgeon made me wait a minimum of six months.... even after I begged. I tried to do exactly what he asked, because I didn't want those problems EVER again. I wish you all of the luck with your surgery and a good outcome. All of us lower back patients don't recover fully, so here's to hoping you do. Ride Safely when you are finally able to again.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've has L5 S1 fused I was six months before enough fusion had occured to be safe riding.

It is SIX months for a normal vertebra to vertebra fusion using a artificial spacer and BMP (bone morphogenic protein) which speeds bone growth. For an unusual surgery like yours where an entire vertebra is removed - that space has to be artificially strengthened and a spacer in place. for bone to grow across that much space in sufficient strength to be secure to take a year or more.

this all depends on what the surgeon is going to do and what will bridge the gap between 2 and 4. DON'T rush it, heal and get strong to ride another day. If you break down the fusion, you start all over again. If you break it badly enough you'll be back in the OR.

today's back surgery is much more advanced over just a few years ago. they control your pain in the hospital and back at home very well. LET it heal and do your PT when they say and I am hoping you will just do great.

Good Luck My Friend.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I wish you a rapid recovery and hope you heal well and fast...difficult as it is, best to try to take it easy and let everything resolve...take care and know you have a lot of support from your friends at gl1800riders.com!

·
Registered
294 Posts
In 97 I had L4 to S1. I stayed away for over a year. no problems since then.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I was lucky my problem was in my neck and had an anterior C4-C6 fused with cadevar bone and a titanium plate . I was riding in a month.
Good luck with the surgery.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Expect a minimum of five months. Angel had extensive spine surgery with fusion and a lot of stenos bone trimming. You will probably have to wear an uncomfortable back brace to keep the spine straight during your waking hours. Good luck and I hope your surgery is as successful as Angels.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
i hope you have a speedy recovery, and take your time. it will be so much better. i store my bike from november to april so i know how difficult it is not to ride. but once it rolls around i'm gone :doorag:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I wish you the best and I'll put you and my prayer card..
P.S....
what a prayer card..it's a index card you carry in your billfold..when you have prayer time, you have it with you at all times and everytime you open your billfold you see it and think of them..... Buying gas, at the store..whatever;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had L-5 and S-1 done November 3rd of 2008. The Dr. went in through my abdomen claiming faster recovery. His instructions were no lifting anything over 20 pounds for the first two months. The only thing bad about that was the fact that I had to sit down to take a squirt for those two months.:lol:

Seriously though, I went for a short ride December 19th and one time since then. I could have ridden more but the weather was not conducive.

I was given a non restricted authorization to return to work on Janurary 5th, and I am a fulltime firefighter. One thing in my favor is the fact that I work at the SLC Airport driving one of the Crash trucks. The possibility of having to dismount the rig and actually lift someone in the event of an aircraft emergency is quite remote. I go back to him in three months for an xray to see the progression of the fusion. So far I am felling great.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Surgery

Best of luck on the surgery and hope you have a speedy recovery! I averted back surgery several years agao. I just got lucky that a series of shots and therapy helped me make a full recovery.
mrbill

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Best of luck and do the therapy. I have not had fusion, but did have: Lumbar lamenectomy, disc decompression, synovial cyst removal, bone chips and spurs removed, L-4 through S1, did not ride for 3 months on doctors recommendation. 3 months and 1 day I rode. Have not had pain since the surgery.:thumbup:
Great pics by the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts