GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 2004 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has an article on page 21 titled Twin Cam Survey Report. It is about the cam bearings breaking. In the survey over 750 harrrrrrharrr ley owners responded to the survey about whether they had had cam bearing trouble. 10.4% said yes. That means 75 out of 750. That is a massive percentage. These failures tend to occur around 17000 miles. Since the average harhar ley rider puts 4000 miles a year on their bike, it will take some time for the true numbers to show up. Accoring to the article there could be something like 110,000 bikes that show problems. harhar ley in some cases is not even covering the entire expense to have the engines repaired. Some 27% of those already repaired are not satisfied with those repairs. Over 31% said that the company did not pay for all the repair expense.
Also there is a question of frame alignment on the FL models. This causes a wobble at high speed. Some 15% of those that responded complained of this issue with their bike.
A while ago we were trashing Honda and the GL 1800. Many threatened to go buy a harhar ley. I am SOOOOO glad that I didnt jump off a bridge just to spite my girlfriend.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
this harley problem and there is a Roadstar transmission re-call, the problem with the roady recall is that SOME Yamaha dealer are refusing to do the up grade because yamy is giving them 9 hours to do a 13-14 hour job :shock: and some dealers are claiming it takes 4-6 months to get the parts

You would think Harley learned there lesson a couple of years ago when they got spanked for 35 million dollars ???

oooh well, the lawyers are about to get richer

·
Registered
190 Posts
Recalls seem to be the fashionable thing. No make is spared. Moto-Guzzi is telling me no to ride my bike because of a transmission recall (dealers do not have the parts to do the work). I was lucky to miss the engine recall on that. My 99 BMW had a serious safety recall on head bearing and it also proved to be the most troublesome bike I have ever owned, bye-bye BMW for ever.
Been much luckier with the Harley's the Twin-cam is second generation so should be OK on the bearings, the V-rod only one small recall to prevent a possible fuel starvation issue.
A friend’s Yamaha Jet ski, ATV, and Warrior have all had safety recalls.
Have had about 12 Honda's in my life with absolutely no problems. But now the frame situation with the Wings. I hope this does not extend to more than the published VIN numbers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the best part of that terrific article is how Honda and Harley handle their problems.
When we had our issues with 'OH' and 'cracking' some of us wanted to storm Marysville because Honda didn't replace every GL 1800 sold with a brand new one. I personally thought Honda handled it correctly; gather the info, find a solution and execute it. The ECM's have been replaced, the frames have been welded and in some cases, bikes have been replaced. Now compare that approach to Harley; do nothing or won't do anything, until the engine breaks. Where is that bike going to break down, in an HD dealership or 1000 miles from home? So the next time we think 'mother' Honda doesn't care about it's customers, let's remember these examples of 'customer service'. Harley and Honda are both hugely profitable companies with different approaches to business.
And that difference is why I ride RED
Sorry didn't mean to get preachy, but after almost 40 years of riding, I'm still blown away by my 'Wing' it's the most amazing bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Right on, Blue Max. I agree 100%! That article was an eye opener and confirmed both some of my suspicions (and my decisions).

DaleC

·
Registered
30 Posts
I sure am glad I got the GL1800.
It's the best bike that I have ever owned. It's a 02 and so far it has been
trouble free. :yw1:

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 03 is the worst bike I have ever owned. First the boot then the latch then the computer and finally the frame. The dealer has had it more than I have. The engine also whines like a jet very annoying.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Let me tell you about my 99 Harley FLHT experience. I purchased the first twin cam motored Harley and planned on riding it forever. When the twin cam problem surfaced, Harley's plan was to fix it only if it broke and they sent letters out to the owners stating they would guarentee the twin cam bearings for 50,000 miles. If your bike broke after that you were out of luck. I stopped by a dealer in Iowa during one of my cross country rides and asked him about the repair. He had completed a number of them but Harley Davidson only gave him four hours for the fix, not enough time to completely disassemble the motor and wash out all the scattered shavings throughout the bike from the failed bearings. Since I already had 30,000 miles on the bike, I decided to get rid of it and move to the GL 1800. Harley Davidson gave me nothing but insecurity and a bike with a propensity to break at any time. In contrast, Honda has responded and stepped up to the plate and corrected problems on the GL 1800. I have confidence in the company.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Honda

Honda is known for motors. No matter what it's in, a Honda motor is as reliable and strong as anything out there.

Yes, I'm a little dissapointed in some of the plastic on the GL1800. Latches are poorly designed for example. However as an overall unit, the Goldwing is a wonderful bike that is unriveled in performance and reliabiilty for the price. Cheaper than it's competition, and a better bike. Hard to argue with those two facts.

I love the H/D look, and no doubt the "culture" that comes with it is unique in the motorcycle world. I was talking to a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I saw him at the toys for tots run. He has a Dyna. He has to trailer his bike to where he wants to ride, then ride for a couple of hours. That's all he and his s/o can handle. Heck a couple hours is just getting started.

I'll keep the wing thank you, and someday a H/D just for around town.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think I read some where that the cam bearing problem was just in the 99 and about half of the 2000 year bikes. I think they redesigned it mid year 2000. If only 110,000 bikes are affected that could be about right for a year and half run on the 88 engine. I hope thats right as I have a 2001 sitting in the garage beside my GL1800.

Panther

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The MCN article, which is a survey and simply reporting results submitted by those responding to the survey, reports that the problem still exists even in 2003 and 2004. MCN reported that they had received over 750 survey forms on The Twin-Cam Survey Report. " For (model year) 2001, 8.3% of Twin-Cam owners (actual number of responders was not listed) have suffered a failure, and for 2002 owners, the number is 2.8%. 2003 and even 2004 model owners have reported failures at the rate of 1.4%". The article points out that the average H - D rider/responder puts on 4,000 miles per year (that's what the responders said) and that the average reported onset of cam bearing failure occurs at 17,000 miles. Point of this is most (reported) '01 through '04 models are not at that average 17,000 mile point yet.

I'm sure as hell not being smug about this issue, for I'm sure MCN will in the future publish a GL1800 owners survey. There will certainly be a fairly significant number of unhappy GL1800 owner-MCN readers chomping at the bit to report their unhappiness with Mother Honda.

Me? I'm right up there with the 87% of the MCN's responders who gave an excellent to very good satisfaction rating to their Harley. I love my '01 black GL1800 and wouldn't have anything else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Survey's are a wonderfull thing. As a business analyst, I probably can take the same set of numbers and give a completely different slant. I only know first hand what my experience has been.

I have a couple of '99 H-D Ultra Classic's out in the garage that have given me nothing but good reliable service for over 50,000 miles each. I've added a like-new '02 GL1800 to the stable, and hope it serves me as well.

Never had a cam-bearing problem. H-D did send me a letter and extended the warranty to 5 years or 50,000 miles, should that happen. It didn't. And I'm not at all concerned that it ever will. No more than I am about the frame on my GL1800 breaking in half.

If you ride, you'll have some kind of problem, sooner or later. If you can't deal with that, you might want to consider some alternative mode of transportation.

F

·
0 Posts
Jim King said:
If you ride, you'll have some kind of problem, sooner or later. If you can't deal with that, you might want to consider some alternative mode of transportation.
I agree whole heartedly. There isn't one manufacturer out there that hasn't had birthing problems of some sort with a new model. With the probs that Honda shipped with the GL1800, it seems to me that some here are going alittle overboard in their crucifiction of HD's cam thing. I visited this board quite often way back when Lamont 1st set up the original 1800 board, I'm suprised to see that there is HD envy/slamming going on here in some of the subjects as I read through old & current posts.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i dont envy or slam a harley.

i respect a person bote as to what they prefer, that being the nearly $ 20000 it costs for either choice.

i dont care if the neighbors harley drops an engine at 500 miles. all i know is i made my choice not to have a harley.

i hate how they look

i hate the foul noise they make

i wouldnt wnat my bike to vibrate like they do

i see plenty of them along side the road waiting to get towed in

no need to read a survey in a magazine to make my choice. i hope the next guy enjoys his harley. he paid for it, he made his choice, and thats that.

loren

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
:D :D I love my 2001 Pearl Yellow GL1800 Goldwing. :D :D
I'm the only one that has to be satisfied, and I am!!!????????....and of course my wife. :oops:

As for the Harley's. Not the least bit interested.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a frustating time with my 2002 the first couple months. I have had to wait for a tow truck 6 times already. The first problem ended up being a pinched wire for the criuse shut-off switch on the clutch handlebar. This was a problem from the factory. The second problem was loose pins on the alternator plug. Two dealers just replaced alternators, I am on my third one now, the last dealer found and repaired the problem. Never had a problem since. First Honda of the six I have owned with any problems. I would still buy one again. When unusal problems arise it takes a good mechanic to find the problem. I always get a :D when I'm cruising down may favorite road.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
loren said:
i respect a person bote as to what they prefer, that being the nearly $ 20000 it costs for either choice.
It doesn't take nearly $20000 to own a Harley. However, it does take that much to have one that is worth owning....

The 2004 Sportster starts at $6,499. However, buying one of those is a lot like buying a Honda Rebel 250. Yeah, it is a motorcycle... but you're not going to get a lot of respect with it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's interesting nobody has mentioned the shocking figure of failures in the 1999 Twin Cam engines.

Among the survey group for the 1999 model, 58.3% had suffered cam bearing failure! Figures were showing the problem still exists even in the 2004 models.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the article, the bikes that have been repaired have had the parts replaced with the stock parts, which are known to fail, so all the ones that have been repaired to date are just being set up for another failure at some point in the future. :22yikes:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Wingman26 said:
It's interesting nobody has mentioned the shocking figure of failures in the 1999 Twin Cam engines.

Among the survey group for the 1999 model, 58.3% had suffered cam bearing failure!
Yeah.... but, it's a Harley... What's your point? :a13:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wingman26 said:

Among the survey group for the 1999 model, 58.3% had suffered cam bearing failure! Figures were showing the problem still exists even in the 2004 models.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the article, the bikes that have been repaired have had the parts replaced with the stock parts, which are known to fail, so all the ones that have been repaired to date are just being set up for another failure at some point in the future. :22yikes:
There's a good reason that it wasn't mentioned :roll: and that's because it simply isn't true :!:

With all the good fortune that me and all of the 1999-2000 TC owners that I know are enjoying, I think I'll just go buy ONE Lotto ticket tonight :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts