GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended the Wing Ding for the first time at Knoxville this year. Overall, I enjoyed it very much. However, I don't consider it an annual event, but I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially if I had never been before. I did the demo rides on the Can-Am Spiders sport and touring, the Harley Ultra Classic, and the Roadsmith Trikes. I personally don't care for the appearance of the 2012 Goldwing and had not intended to ride one; however, after talking to one of the Honda reps and hearing about all of the changes they had made I decided I would like to ride one. When it came time to ride, the ride leader would not allow me to ride because I didn't have over-the-ankle boots on. Considering I rode in on my wing and had my owner's card in my pocket and the fact that every other manufacturer represented there allowed me to ride their demos, I was not a happy camper. I told the Honda ride leader it was a shame that this was a Honda event and I couldn't ride their product. He said I understand, but your safety is my main concern. I stated that I had to sign a waiver, and he said, "yes, and we hope you never have to use it; but, if you are going to ride my stuff, you will have my stuff on." I think after careful consideration, I agree with him that I don't need to ride his product since I felt his attitude was -- we don't care if you ride our stuff or not and everyone else at the event really wanted you to ride their demos. I hope my '08 lasts a long long time because I never intend to own anything with Honda on it again even though I feel the Goldwing is the best touring machine on the market.

·
Registered
758 Posts
:agree::wrong::nojoke:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Your never gonna have another Honda product because you can't play by Hondas rules...:shrug:
Waivers aren't worth the paper their written on and the rep knew it wouldn't hold up when you fell over and decided to sue...
Kudos to the rep...:bow:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just sounds like another grey area to me.... most wouldn't raise a fuss about having to wear a helmet... they just took it a little further and wanted ankle protection....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Just sounds like another grey area to me.... most wouldn't raise a fuss about having to wear a helmet... they just took it a little further and wanted ankle protection....
Yup!

And you won't be taking any MSF courses or riding on a military base in the US on your Honda, or any other motorcycle you decide to take. :nojoke:

I can see you're upset, but they don't want you to be a majority stakeholder in Honda just because you hurt yourself riding their bikes. I was actually surprised the other manufacturers let you ride without ankle protection, but I can see why Honda required it. I would be disappointed, but wouldn't be directing my anger/displeasure at Honda for trying to be cautious.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
The sales guy who wouldn't let you ride was just following orders from some corporate lawyer or suit. He didn't have any choices.

It was policy established by staff attorneys or their insurance company for the event.

Your pride was injured and you were a little embarrassed but take a deep breath and get over it. The guy you're mad at was just doing what he was told he had to do.

You know you don't want to buy a Harley or Victory when you're ready to replace your '08.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hate boots

I hate boots and I don't wear them under any cond. I guess I would not be able ride it either. The only boots I ever wore was fire dept. boots and only with my turn out gear and I did that for 35 years. But no more boots. That was like saying you had to have a full face helmet instead of a half helmet. Oh well.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
If I remember correctly there was a big sign with all the requirements needed to ride there in the staging area.

·
Registered
297 Posts
No boots no ride, and your mad at safety, really? I was at the same event and wore gym shoes to walk around, but knowing that I had to wear boots to ride I put mine in the top case. It's simple and the rules were clearly stated at the tent, you need safety gear, full gear to ride. Their rules, their bikes, your loss. Don't hate on American Honda.

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
I side with Honda. No boots no ride. Your choice but maybe you should invest in a pair of boots:joke:

As far as HD not requiring boots, if you have flip flops on you are overdressed for the Harley

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
If I remember correctly there was a big sign with all the requirements needed to ride there in the staging area.
I believe Honda has this list of requirements at all events. If the guy doesn't check the rules, then he's got nothing to complain about. Can you imagine telling a cop that you didn't know that you had to stop at those red signs at the intersections, because you didn't check the rules before you went out for a ride. :eek:4:

Kudos to Honda for enforcing their rules, and not caving because some guy thinks he's getting attitude... :thumbup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
You are correct and my wife didn't have boots so we couldn't ride either.
No big deal, it was posted and it was their rules. I don't see the problem.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
The Wing Ding is not a Honda Motor Company event. It is a GWRRA event.
I doubt if the guy enforcing Honda's rules was a gwrra volunteer, as opposed to some sort of "employee" of Honda or a dealer.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
What on earth must that waiver have said on it?
Typical disclaimer..., usually not worth the paper it's written on. The main "fault" with these waiver/disclaimers is that you cant waive the rights of your heirs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree with the poster. Boots are not a "state" requirement, just a honda requirement.... I think it's pretty chicken ****. Yep it's their rules but it's almost a childs requirement.

Gonna get flamed for expressing my opinion but I don't give a poop!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts