GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check my fuel consumption regularly. I went from a consistent 37mpg down to 32mpg. This weekend I changed spark plugs and cleaned K&N air filter (What a pain). Took the bike out for a 62 mile ride tonight got 38mpg.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
got 29 here in fl once on i 95 80 mph going into 30 mph head wind .:shock: i usually get 34/35 on my 05. little maintanence never hurts .:bow::bow:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
What I have noticed, and others on thus forum have mentioned as well, is that there seems to be a radical change at 3,000 RPM. Below that and fuel economy will range in the high 30's if not the low 40's. But over 3,000 RPM and the fuel economy drops line a rock into the low 30's if not the high 20's. I have gotten roughly 38 MPG over the past year and ~9,000 miles, but I've seen significantly different figures, particularly if I only look at the fuel economy on a single tank.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm sure the maintenance didn't hurt and bumped the mileage a bit but consider this... A Gold Wing isn't a very aerodynamic machine and as such, doesn't have a very good drag coefficient... Wind drag is a square function of speed - that is to say - double the speed and quadruple the drag... So if you double your speed from say 40MPH to 80 mph, the wind drag goes up by a factor of 4 and hence a drastic mileage reduction...

We ran into this a lot on various RV forums in the past (one of which I moderated) where new RV'ers would ask about increasing towing mileage... Because most RV trailers have the aerodynamics of a large brick (8' high and 8' wide) , slowing down is about the only way to increase mileage... I suspect it is the same with the Wing - slow down and your mileage will increase... My mileage is infinitely better at 45-55 MPH than it is a 65-75 MPH and I believe that this is probably why...

Les

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been getting a constant 42 - 44+ mpg for the last 96K miles and I ride aggressive.
Only periods of poor mileage occurred on trips through Kansas due to their piss poor gas with much ethanol

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I check my fuel consumption regularly. I went from a consistent 37mpg down to 32mpg. This weekend I changed spark plugs and cleaned K&N air filter (What a pain). Took the bike out for a 62 mile ride tonight got 38mpg.
Maybe I should check mine. This gas thing is getting ugly anyway. On all of my wings 42 mpg seemed to be the magic number. I would bet a few short years ago that 38 would be 42 or even better. Oh well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was getting mileage (two up) in upper 30's earlier this year, until we finally got rid of the winter fuel, now it's running in the low 40's. I normally run between 2500-3500 rpms, but as the roads get twistier, the revs go higher.

John

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
A very good reason for having a 6th gear - to lower the RPM's and get better gas mileage. My Wing is turning 3300 RPM at interstate cruising speeds. Sure would like to get it down to 2500 RPM.
Chuck on a 70 series rear tyre on her and at 70 mph it will be dead on at 3 grand :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
A very good reason for having a 6th gear - to lower the RPM's and get better gas mileage. My Wing is turning 3300 RPM at interstate cruising speeds. Sure would like to get it down to 2500 RPM.
This is the exact thing the gentleman told me that did the reflash on my ecm last month,, first thing when I picked up my wing.. He said WHY in the world does Honda have that thing making all that unneeded horsepower at cruise.. He asked me how often I have to downshift during normal riding.. I said on the roads here,, once I am above 35 mph it stays in 5th and can easily pass other vehicles too without downshifting .. He said the wing is producing more than enough power to cruise at 70 mph at 2500 RPMs all day long.. If I could figure out how to lower the ring and pinion gear I would since that would be way cheaper than cracking the tranny open
just switching to a 70 series tire does not not anywhere enough of an RPM drop to be effective

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Seasonal gasoline. I don't know why they don't discount it instead of hiking. If you go to the grocery store, the stuff about to expire by date is on huge discount to move it off the shelves. Oh, that's right - oil companies don't make enough money already. I finally got a tank of the summer gas this week and went from 36 to 40.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
You always have to ride with the wind to your back. If its into the wind your mileage will suffer. Same as SO rides I always get bad gas mileage. lol

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Chuck on a 70 series rear tyre on her and at 70 mph it will be dead on at 3 grand :thumbup:

Did you see a change in your mileage for the better when you ran the 70 series?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Went from 33-35 back to 38mpg just in the last couple weeks still sucking the ethanol crap. Going for real gas this weekend and see if I get back to 43. Its seasonal and we have near summer temps again so the cold and the winter gas takes its toll as usual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts